1-48 Hobby Boss CF-18

On 2017-5-29 at 0:00 AM, Colin K said:

Looks good, Alf!  Did this jet still have symmetrical era markings on it after it was updated?  Also, how those that F-104 ladder measure up to the Hornet?  Does it come up to the LEX, or will it need to be modified?  Been wanting to pair that ladder with a CF-18, but don't feel like scratchbuilding it.

Thanks!

Thanks Colin

No, this jet is a bit of a "what-if". What if we still had jets in Europe. The bases were closed in about 1993, which was WAY before the ECP 583 upgrades, and about the time virtually all of the aircraft went to the FIP markings.

The ladder is a bit short. It comes about 3/4 of a rung below the LEX, which is not correct. Coyote plans to have the ladder on its side in the diorama, so it will not be that obvious. Take note that this F-104 ladder is not the DACO one; it's a different provider from the Czech Republic. I have a DACO ladder with a full 104 upgrade set that I will use some day, but I have not built up that ladder yet. One caution about the one that I used on this project is that the ladder assembly is an exercise in frustration. Lots of little cross-pieces. Minimal locator holes or guidance about where things go. Hard to get it all together and assembled square, without considerable fiddling with tiny parts, and not end up with glue all over your tweezers and fingers.

ALF

On 2017-5-29 at 8:52 AM, jester292 said:

Wow what a build. What did you use for the flat coat? How did you keep plugging away toward the end? My Hornet is stalling out. 

Thanks man.

I used a Testors Dull Coat spray can. Does a great job. My motivation came from wanting to finish up my friend's model in a reasonable time frame, but it was a bit tedious at the end.

BTW, Hornets never truly stall. They just develop huge sink rates, and it feels like the elephants are jumping on the wings (i.e. they shake a lot with the high AOA turbulent airflow). Just add power, centre the control column, and it will fly right out. You'll get there!

ALF

9 hours ago, ALF18 said:

Thanks Colin

No, this jet is a bit of a "what-if". What if we still had jets in Europe. The bases were closed in about 1993, which was WAY before the ECP 583 upgrades, and about the time virtually all of the aircraft went to the FIP markings.

The ladder is a bit short. It comes about 3/4 of a rung below the LEX, which is not correct. Coyote plans to have the ladder on its side in the diorama, so it will not be that obvious. Take note that this F-104 ladder is not the DACO one; it's a different provider from the Czech Republic. I have a DACO ladder with a full 104 upgrade set that I will use some day, but I have not built up that ladder yet. One caution about the one that I used on this project is that the ladder assembly is an exercise in frustration. Lots of little cross-pieces. Minimal locator holes or guidance about where things go. Hard to get it all together and assembled square, without considerable fiddling with tiny parts, and not end up with glue all over your tweezers and fingers.

ALF

That's kind of what I figured....although I have seen one or two current jets that still have some symmetrical era markings on them.  Too bad about that ladder.  I guess it will still work, just set on it's side.  From your assemble experience, it's almost worth it to just use the ladder as a template and built it to the proper height and do it from scratch.  I'm still trying to summon the courage to build a set of jacks so I can build a diorama of a jet undergoing maintenance.

10 hours ago, ALF18 said:

BTW, Hornets never truly stall. They just develop huge sink rates, and it feels like the elephants are jumping on the wings (i.e. they shake a lot with the high AOA turbulent airflow). Just add power, centre the control column, and it will fly right out. You'll get there!

ALF

Just like a Cessna 150, except I let go of the controls and close my eyes.

That turned out very nice ALF.  Dirty.  Grimy.  Grubby.  Ridden hard and put away wet, if you will.  Coyote should be very happy with your rendering of his mount.

As an aside, Shawn M.'s aunt Eileen lives two doors down from me.  She was absolutely devastated, as you might imagine, when he was killed.

Good job, pal and kudos again for taking the high road.  You're a man of principle.

Mike

On 5/31/2017 at 1:48 PM, ALF18 said:

Thanks man.

I used a Testors Dull Coat spray can. Does a great job. My motivation came from wanting to finish up my friend's model in a reasonable time frame, but it was a bit tedious at the end.

ALF

ALF,

I've had great luck with Testors Dull Coat in the past. Lately I've been using Model Master Clear Lacquer (Flat and Gloss). I thin it roughly 50% with hardware store lacquer thinner and it's the best stuff I've ever used. Looking great as always!

19 hours ago, jester292 said:

ALF,

I've had great luck with Testors Dull Coat in the past. Lately I've been using Model Master Clear Lacquer (Flat and Gloss). I thin it roughly 50% with hardware store lacquer thinner and it's the best stuff I've ever used. Looking great as always!

Thanks.

Update: Coyote has used his amazing Model Railroading skills to produce this HAS (Hardened Aircraft Shelter):

M12zOJ5.jpg

ALF

On 2017-6-2 at 10:51 PM, jester292 said:

Brilliant! What skill. 

Definitely! Together, Coyote and I made a good diorama.

He messaged me today. The model arrived. Firstly, he had a bit of a problem with Canada Post. To minimize handling, we agreed that I should send it to a PO Box he has in town. This is the parcel label that Canada Post put in his Box when it arrived. Coyote had a hard time getting them to believe it was for him... even though I had added "C/O (his real name)" after the main address name...

oC4gcuH.jpg

Those postal employees have zero sense of humour. Sigh.

One minor casualty in transit was the canopy. The actuator snapped partially, and the tabs broke loose. Here is the pic he sent me:

1Ujtora.jpg

Coyote conducted the ABDR (Aircraft Battle Damage Repair) action of straightening out the actuator and reinforcing it with a drop of CA glue. The canopy went on nicely after that, and looks solid.

He then parked it on the cracking concrete in front of the HAS. This jet is ready to go... except he has to fabricate a pair of chocks so he can release the parking brake.

3TxpTx3.jpg

6UwbG2u.jpg

Thanks to all who took the time to come by and comment.

ALF

On 2017-6-5 at 8:04 PM, jester292 said:

Amazing build and fun to follow. Congrats!

On 2017-6-5 at 8:56 PM, Emvar said:

Nice! Awesome work! Glad your customer is happy.

Thanks guys! Yes, Coyote is quite happy. Combined with his amazing HAS, I really like the end result.

ALF

• 1 month later...