Need help with Spanish translation

This is way off topic, but I have tried Googling, online translators, high school Spanish teacher etc to no avail. My niece is in Spain and walked some of the los Cahorros trail near Granada. Can anybody tell me what Caharros means in English? That is the correct spelling, because some sites I Googled suggest an alternate choice. It obviously has to mean something :)

Thanks for your help,

Bob

From the Urban Dictionary... In the context of your story I believe the second definition is the one you're after...

charro

In Puerto Rican dialect, charro(or charra if female) is both a noun and an adjective used to describe someone or something that is pathetic or someone who is a jackass(i.e.someone who makes an fool out of him/herself) 

A person who has no sense of dignity is considered a charro and something that's tacky or garish can be considered charro as well. It's not a very offensive word but it can be insulting sometimes. 

Another derived form of this word is called charreria(jackassery)
"No seas tan charro mijo" 
Translation:Don't be such a jackass dude 

1.A Charro is a traditional cowboy of central and northern Mexico (The word itself is not used as an insult in traditional Mexican dialect) 
2.The traditional charro is known for colorful clothing and participating in charreadas, a type of rodeo
1. The charro is traditionally found dancing along side the "china" in a traditional Mexican Folk Dance. 
2. The Charro in the rodeo won the championship from Jalisco,Mexico for being the quickest rider and roper.

Edited by Crazy Snap Captain

I suppose it's a local name for this type of gorge. It's interesting that one can't find a definition. I've found the following description on some other "Cahorros" (Cahorros del Río Chíllar, also in the Granada province),

"<...> sus famosos Cahorros, estrechos pasillos modelados en la roca caliza por el curso del río."

which, I think, translates to:

"its famous Cahorros, narrow passages carved into the limestone by the flow of the river"

My Spanish ain't what it used to be, though.

Given that the area has been ruled by Arabs for centuries in medieval times, perhaps the name is even related to an Arabic term or a localisation of an Arabic name.

Edited by ChernayaAkula

Hello Bob

It seems to be a word used only in that region of Spain to describe a cliff or depression of the terrain carved by the flow of water.

Regards

Carlos

7 hours ago, ChernayaAkula said:

Given that the area has been ruled by Arabs for centuries in medieval times, perhaps the name is even related to an Arabic term or a localisation of an Arabic name.

That's what I was thinking too.