Monogram 1/48 F-86 Sabre Jet

Hey ARC,

I'd like to get in on this GB. I have Monogram's old F-86 that I'd like to build. I'm thinking of doing it in-flight, so it should go pretty quick.  

DSC09969_zpsdn5yffix.jpg

According to the copyright date on the box and instructions, this bad boy definitely qualifies...

DSC09975_zps2mlsnfvw.jpg

Anyway, I'll be posting progress as soon as I have some to show.

Cheers!

-O

I agree with Kurt. I've built several of these Monograms and they are a fun kit. They look much better than any others in 48th scale.

I built "Pretty Penny" in flight and love the way it looks on a stick. I can post a pict if you like.

Dean

Never mind  pretty Penny. That was a 100. I was thinking about "Mike's Bird".

Edited by airmechaja
old timers disease
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey ARC,

I've made a little progress on my Sabre.  After trying to get the speed brakes, gun panel, and gear bay doors installed, I realized that requisite sanding had destroyed much of the raised detail.  So, I decided to rescribe the plastic.  

At first, I was paying close attention to the panel lines, then I decided I was just going to go with "close enough."  After finishing up 5 of my last 6 builds in NMF, I didn't want to deal with doing another.  So, I decided I will go with a non-NMF and that's why close enough will work for this build.

DSC00113_zpscjl7mfhm.jpg

So, as I progress with the build, I'll be thinking about markings for this bird.  As I continued, I figured I'd add a piece of square stock with a hole drilled in it to prepare for the kit's in-flight stance.  The hole was drilled with the help of my drill press, and after gluing the stock into place, I cut and sanded it flush.

DSC00115_zpsevtxz7eg.jpg

After that, a little putty was needed to smooth out the wing-to-fuselage assembly joint.

DSC00123_zpsykqalytl.jpg

So, as of now, that's where things are at.  I'll be working on cleaning up the scribing and the sanding dust in preparation for paint.  That is, once I decide on a paint scheme...

Anyway, thanks for looking.  Feel free to share your comments or criticisms.

Cheers!

-O

• 1 month later...

Yikes!  I can't believe it's been almost 2 months since I last worked on this build.  It would probably have been longer if it wasn't for a recent "late night."

So, my wife went on a trip and was gone for a week.  One night, the dog and I stayed up a little (too) late enjoying some adult beverages.  While I was SUI (Surfing Under the Influence) I found the markings for my Sabre.  Part of the reason this build stalled was that I wasn't sure what I wanted to do for its paint scheme.  I had just finished a handful of NMF builds and I wasn't really feeling another one.  Well, while I was up that night, I ran across some inspiration on YouTube.  I don't think I've ever seen these particular markings built up before, so I'm excited to see how it turns out.  I'm not going to tell you what the end product will be just yet, but I do have a couple of pictures of my progress.

I started with some primer on some areas that are going to be "brightly colored."

DSC01682_zpsob5s5xnc.jpg

Then I laid down the first color.  

DSC01684_zpskd0ttwm4.jpg

DSC01687_zpslgcwnivk.jpg

That's all I've got so far.  I'm waiting for this first color to dry before I mask and spray the next.  Wanna try to guess what it's gonna look like when it's done?

Thanks for stopping by.  Feel free to share your comments and criticisms.  Stay tuned for more progress!

-O

Hey phantom and Kurt, thanks for the pats on the back.  

I've been able to make a little more progress on my build.  After the yellow had dried, I masked...

DSC01688_zpsuw9ftqx3.jpg

...and sprayed the next color.

DSC01691_zpsdwesp8xy.jpg

DSC01692_zpsbh1zjrxi.jpg

It doesn't look like much more than a mess now, but I'm happy with the way things are progressing.  Once the red has cured, I'll mask again before shooting the final color.

Shouldn't be too long now!

Cheers,

-O

Hm, I've seen some of the ANG F-86's were colorful, but I haven't seen that blue dragon on any of them...

It's looking pretty wild! :thumbsup:

Hey ARC,

Thanks for stopping by.  The canopy IS masked.  The frames are taped off and the rest is covered with brush-on masking.  The white "stripe" along the fuselage sides is tape, as is the dragon on the tail.  Next, thin red stripes outlining the yellow will be masked before the final color is sprayed on.

It's not a ANG bird, actually, it won't be wearing military markings when I'm done.  I probably won't get anymore done until the weekend, so this will have to hold you over until then.

Cheers!

-O

• 2 weeks later...

IT'S DONE!  

I'll post some more pix in the Finished Builds thread and in the Display Case forum a little later when I have some time.  For now, here's a teaser:

DSC01702_zpsm2hujxto.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Cheers,

-O