Did someone say something about a new Huey thread.  Well here you go.  All I ask is that you not just post stuff from Google.  We can all type "Huey" and "UH-1" into Google.  I was thinking of starting with some Vietnam birds.  

Ray

48th AHC Joker UH-1B gunship "Hungry For Blood". It's difficult to amke out the name on the slide but it looks like Gary Mourman.

Image may contain: outdoor

A 170th AHC 2nd Platoon UH-1D in 67 or 68 from Rob Kittleson.

A nice HAL-3 Detachment 1, UH-1B from May, 1968. Bell photo is the archives of the National Museum of Naval Aviation.

No automatic alt text available.

Chuck Crusher II, A UH-1C of the 114th AHC from 1968. From the Briggs collection.

Image may contain: 1 person, outdoor

Alright!  This is gonna be awesome Ray!  I will get some pics up as soon as I can!  I gotta upload what I do have to photobucket so I can post them here.  Still working on those others!   Thanks for starting this thread.  Looking forward to seeing some awesome birds!

1 minute ago, JesusNut said:

Alright!  This is gonna be awesome Ray!  I will get some pics up as soon as I can!  I gotta upload what I do have to photobucket so I can post them here.  Still working on those others!   Thanks for starting this thread.  Looking forward to seeing some awesome birds!

I'd use flickr, it's a smoother platform, has an app, and you have more space.

Looking forward to seeing them, Tom.  Just as a note, It's much easier to post to Facebook, either in a forum or on your personal page, and then all you have to do is right click "Copy Image" and the "Paste" here in your reply.  It works so much better than Photobucket for me.

Ray

9 minutes ago, rotorwash said:

Looking forward to seeing them, Tom.  Just as a note, It's much easier to post to Facebook, either in a forum or on your personal page, and then all you have to do is right click "Copy Image" and the "Paste" here in your reply.  It works so much better than Photobucket for me.

Ray

Wow, that's even easier.  Is there a size limitation where I am gonna have to go back and resize all the photos to make sure they fit?  

Just now, JesusNut said:

Wow, that's even easier.  Is there a size limitation where I am gonna have to go back and resize all the photos to make sure they fit?  

I don't think so.  Facebook will resize them automatically and even large originals I have uploaded to Facebook post just fine here.  For example, the original of the TH-1H photo I took back in 2012 at Cairns AAF was a 16MB image.

Ray

Image may contain: sky, airplane and outdoor

1 minute ago, rotorwash said:

I don't think so.  Facebook will resize them automatically and even large originals I have uploaded to Facebook post just fine here.  For example, the original of the TH-1H photo I took back in 2012 at Cairns AAF was a 16MB image.

Ray

That sounds good!  I'll try that.  It is kinda a pita to copy and paste the url every time.  I'll play around with it a little bit over on my build thread and learn more about it.  As soon as I get something figured out, I will start posting what I have.

Camo Cobra

So I know it's not a Huey... but while researching the 190th AHC for my UH-1C build I stumbled onto this freak show.  It was posted on the 190th AHC site, but no details so unsure of the unit.  I posted it here hoping someone can do some digging and find out if the rest of the unit birds were camo'd too (a shot in the dark)

Could this be one of the company demos?? It looks like a 'Banana' flying in the background and there is a 'Roo' on the fuse - a zap by the Aussie Huey Squadron? Cannot remember how long the RAAF had the Hueys in 'Nam?

7 hours ago, crushkill said:

Camo Cobra

So I know it's not a Huey... but while researching the 190th AHC for my UH-1C build I stumbled onto this freak show.  It was posted on the 190th AHC site, but no details so unsure of the unit.  I posted it here hoping someone can do some digging and find out if the rest of the unit birds were camo'd too (a shot in the dark)

I'm pretty sure Ray would know, but that sure looks like the same markings as Dads company, the 195th.  But unless they got Cobras after he left in August '70, it wouldn't be them.  They had C's while he was there.  I will have to do some digging.  I know he is a member of an online group that is password protected and only open to the guys still left, but I will see if he can get me in there and do some poking around.  Not sure if I can share any pics, and would not without permission of the photographer, but I might at least be able to see what they had.

8 hours ago, crushkill said:

Camo Cobra

This is AH-1G 66-15259.  She was called Virginia Rose II and was part of the NETT (New Equipment Training Team) that brought the Cobra to Vietnam in 1967.   

Ray

9 minutes ago, rotorwash said:

This is AH-1G 66-15259.  She was called Virginia Rose II and was part of the NETT (New Equipment Training Team) that brought the Cobra to Vietnam in 1967.   

Ray

That is one awesome helicopter!  Somehow I knew you would know Ray.  

1 hour ago, usmcski6502 said:

Do my eyes deceive me, or does it look like the Aussies tagged that camo'd Cobra?

Ski

Indeed you are correct, Ski.  The 334th AHC also supported the Aussies and you can see a roo zap on this 334th AH-1G my dad is sitting in in 1969 at bien Hoa.

Ray

Image may contain: 1 person, outdoor

17 minutes ago, usmcski6502 said:

Haha, awesome!  The tradition is alive and well; when I was deployed down to RAAF Base Tindal, the Aussies tagged every one of our F/A-18's, on the bottom of the speed brake where we wouldn't see if for awhile!

Hopefully you got down to Townsville or Kimberly. Had a great time in Townsville when I was there for Kangaroo 95. We guarded RAAF Base Tindal on that Joint OP. Somewhere I've got a fly over of one their Hueys at that time when they went over our TOC in the Northern Territory.

Here is UH-1H 74-022465 'Raptor 65' pulling pitch as the last of the Raptors leave JMRC Hohenfels  27 APR 2011

33048364143_bf66d4d23f_b.jpg

Edited by snake36bravo

This is more or less a test to post a pic.  This is the Huey Dad got shot down in.  Not his main helicopter as that one was down for maintenance.  The linkage you see under the center console IP is the collective linkage.  Dad said they were lucky that all it had was a hole through the middle of it.  You can also see a new hole just forward of the cargo tie down ring.  He has pictures of all the holes, and there were a lot of them.  He got very lucky that day and was able to land it at a fire support base.  He was the only one on the helicopter that was not hit.  

50 minutes ago, JesusNut said:

This is more or less a test to post a pic.  This is the Huey Dad got shot down in.  Not his main helicopter as that one was down for maintenance.  The linkage you see under the center console IP is the collective linkage.  Dad said they were lucky that all it had was a hole through the middle of it.  You can also see a new hole just forward of the cargo tie down ring.  He has pictures of all the holes, and there were a lot of them.  He got very lucky that day and was able to land it at a fire support base.  He was the only one on the helicopter that was not hit.  

That's amazing.  I never landed on a hot LZ, but I can only imagine.

More pics of the ship Dad was shot down in.  Bullet holes everywhere.  I forget the details of the incident, but he auto-rotated into a fire support base.  The co-pilot, crew chief, door gunner and all the soldiers in the back were all shot at least once each.  Dad was the only one not hit.  

Image may contain: sky

In this one, you can see the hole from the round that went through between Dad in the left seat and the co-pilot in the right seat.  

And Ray, thanks for the tip on posting them to FB first.  That is much easier.  

Always had an interest in late war US Army helos.   Seems that by that point many people lost interest in the war, especially the press.  As a result, there aren't too many pictures from the 1972 time frame.   Found this one and made it the subject of my first online build.  Charlie Troop, 16th CAV.  Pretty basic paint scheme, by this time they stopped painting the nose black, just left the entire helo in OD.   The one thing that's noteworthy is the toilet bowl and anti-strella shields.  Didn't see many US Army Hueys in Vietnam with this mod. Also had a non-standard antenna setup on the cabin roof.

To give credit where it is due, this picture came from the fantastic Vietnam Helo Pilots website,  http://www.vhpamuseum.org/16thcav/ctroop/images/Scan0019.jpg  Mandtory site for anyone interested in Vietnam helos. 

CTRP-4CAV.jpg

Also found this pic on another site.  http://www.centaursinvietnam.org/PhotoAlbums/iPhotoHarrisonBrian.html  Another site worth spending some time on.   Nice shot of another late-war US Army Huey, I really like this one because it's got black trim on the spine of the tailboom and leading edge of the tail itself.   Some Cobras had similar paintwork, no idea if it was cosmetic or was part of an IR suppression system, along with the toiletbowl kit.  

Huey2.jpg