46 minutes ago, 11bee said:

Always had an interest in late war US Army helos.   Seems that by that point many people lost interest in the war, especially the press.  As a result, there aren't too many pictures from the 1972 time frame.   Found this one and made it the subject of my first online build.  Charlie Troop, 16th CAV.  Pretty basic paint scheme, by this time they stopped painting the nose black, just left the entire helo in OD.   The one thing that's noteworthy is the toilet bowl and anti-strella shields.  Didn't see many US Army Hueys in Vietnam with this mod. Also had a non-standard antenna setup on the cabin roof.

To give credit where it is due, this picture came from the fantastic Vietnam Helo Pilots website,  http://www.vhpamuseum.org/16thcav/ctroop/images/Scan0019.jpg  Mandtory site for anyone interested in Vietnam helos. 

CTRP-4CAV.jpg

Also found this pic on another site.  http://www.centaursinvietnam.org/PhotoAlbums/iPhotoHarrisonBrian.html  Another site worth spending some time on.   Nice shot of another late-war US Army Huey, I really like this one because it's got black trim on the spine of the tailboom and leading edge of the tail itself.   Some Cobras had similar paintwork, no idea if it was cosmetic or was part of an IR suppression system, along with the toiletbowl kit.  

Huey2.jpg

The black paint on the tail rotor driveshaft cover helped hide the black exhaust staining that occurred in that area,  Of course a bird with the toilet bowl installed doesn't have that problem so maybe it was more cosmetic here.  It was not part of the IR suppression package.

Ray

1 hour ago, JesusNut said:

More pics of the ship Dad was shot down in.  Bullet holes everywhere.  I forget the details of the incident, but he auto-rotated into a fire support base.  The co-pilot, crew chief, door gunner and all the soldiers in the back were all shot at least once each.  Dad was the only one not hit.  

In this one, you can see the hole from the round that went through between Dad in the left seat and the co-pilot in the right seat.  

And Ray, thanks for the tip on posting them to FB first.  That is much easier.  

Wow, glad he made it in one piece!  Those are some great shots.  Thanks for sharing them.

Ray

2 hours ago, 11bee said:

Always had an interest in late war US Army helos.   Seems that by that point many people lost interest in the war, especially the press.  As a result, there aren't too many pictures from the 1972 time frame.   Found this one and made it the subject of my first online build.  Charlie Troop, 16th CAV.  Pretty basic paint scheme, by this time they stopped painting the nose black, just left the entire helo in OD.   The one thing that's noteworthy is the toilet bowl and anti-strella shields.  Didn't see many US Army Hueys in Vietnam with this mod. Also had a non-standard antenna setup on the cabin roof.

To give credit where it is due, this picture came from the fantastic Vietnam Helo Pilots website,  http://www.vhpamuseum.org/16thcav/ctroop/images/Scan0019.jpg  Mandtory site for anyone interested in Vietnam helos. 

CTRP-4CAV.jpg

Also found this pic on another site.  http://www.centaursinvietnam.org/PhotoAlbums/iPhotoHarrisonBrian.html  Another site worth spending some time on.   Nice shot of another late-war US Army Huey, I really like this one because it's got black trim on the spine of the tailboom and leading edge of the tail itself.   Some Cobras had similar paintwork, no idea if it was cosmetic or was part of an IR suppression system, along with the toiletbowl kit.  

Huey2.jpg

There's nothing better than seeing old Cavalry troopers rockin' that Stetson, mine has been to Iraq and Afghanistan but somehow I've got no pictures to prove it.  We even used to wear spurs on big time missions 

Found this pic when looking through Dad's collection.  He told me they trained some Thai Air Force pilots.  After they were trained, the Thai Air Force obtained some of our Hueys.  Dad was also made an honorary member of the Thai Air Force.  This picture looks like one of the 195th's birds with some nose art from the Thai Air Force, but Dad does not remember the details.  I will update if I get more info on it.   

Image may contain: sky, cloud and outdoor

Here's a few pics from my scrapbook. Sorry about the quality of the pics, this was back in the mid 80's and cameras weren't as good as they are now.

The first 3 are pics I took of a UH-1 from C Co. 82nd Combat Aviation Battalion at the Hot refuel pad at Simmons Army Airfield. I would walk over to the pad and take pics of the birds as they came in for fuel.

0407170003_zpstete6raw.jpg

0407170008a_zpso04bkgex.jpg

0407170009_zpsheuwudmy.jpg

The next series of pics are of a Ky National Guard UH-1 medevac that made a hard landing while we were at our 2 week summer camp out at Pinyon Canyon Colorado when I was in the Guard after I got off of active duty.

Before

0407170005_zpsxab1edxy.jpg

And after

0407170008_zps5ogcq8c2.jpg

0407170007_zpsd5t3kx48.jpg

Tim

Edited by hawkwrench

I just looked at them a few minutes ago and they were there. Maybe it's crappy PB doing it's usual stupid stuff again.

Hopefully they'll pop back up soon, but if not, I'll delete the old ones and post them again!

Tim

Not a great pic (scanned from a Matt Print, unfortunately), these are Omani AF Hueys (the AB.205 version, IIRC):

11.jpg

Notice, the rescue hoists and two different paint schemes used.

These pics were provided by Ray on another thread.  Reposting them here.  Not particularly colorful but they are nice examples of late version US Army Hueys (overall CARC, improved engine air filter, all the ASE mods, Wire Strike Protection System, HF antennas, windowless jump door) and to boot, the are equipped with ALQ-144's. The only thing missing is the very late GPS mod.  The pics also illustrate the two standard troop seat configurations. 

I'll be building one of these at some point down the road.

Huey%2083%20UH-1H%20B%20Co.%204-228th%20El%20Salvador%20Dan%20McClinton_zpscvrlc2zr.jpg

Huey%2082%20UH-1H%20B%20Co.%204-228th%20El%20Salvador%20Dan%20McClinton_zps69awk44t.jpg

You know its hot when you find the only shade available is under the blades and you try to get two people under it.  66-16293 and a sister ship waiting on go.  Also interesting is the camo pattern on 16293.  It looks like some rear fuselage panels were replaced after being painted instead of painting them after installation

Image may contain: sky, cloud, outdoor and nature

On 4/9/2017 at 10:04 AM, 11bee said:

These pics were provided by Ray on another thread.  Reposting them here.  Not particularly colorful but they are nice examples of late version US Army Hueys (overall CARC, improved engine air filter, all the ASE mods, Wire Strike Protection System, HF antennas, windowless jump door) and to boot, the are equipped with ALQ-144's. The only thing missing is the very late GPS mod.  The pics also illustrate the two standard troop seat configurations. 

I'll be building one of these at some point down the road.

Huey%2083%20UH-1H%20B%20Co.%204-228th%20El%20Salvador%20Dan%20McClinton_zpscvrlc2zr.jpg

Huey%2082%20UH-1H%20B%20Co.%204-228th%20El%20Salvador%20Dan%20McClinton_zps69awk44t.jpg

If I get to have the Kittyhawk huey someday,,, This will be the one Ill be doing... since I see the picture on the other threat I fall in love with those hueys

Those Huey pics were taken at Ilopango airbase in El Salvador somewhere ca. 1990-91 i belive, they are one of the most beautiful Hueys ive seen. Correct me if im wrong, but i guess those are from Fort Hood. Ray, any more info?

Rod.

8 hours ago, salvador001 said:

Those Huey pics were taken at Ilopango airbase in El Salvador somewhere ca. 1990-91 i belive, they are one of the most beautiful Hueys ive seen. Correct me if im wrong, but i guess those are from Fort Hood. Ray, any more info?

Rod.

Rod,

Those photos were taken by Dan McClinton and are B. Company 4-228th of the 1st Cav.

Ray

5 hours ago, CharlieUH-1H said:

Thanks Ray, a question what is this PUSH thing between the pedals are for?

Charlie,

That is the hook release for the cargo hook in the hell hole (main transmission access under the fuselage).  

Ray

14 minutes ago, rotorwash said:

Charlie,

That is the hook release for the cargo hook in the hell hole (main transmission access under the fuselage).  

Ray

Thanks brother

first time I spotted this and was curious about that, another detail to add, is it in both sides?