6 hours ago, snake36bravo said:

Here is one from my collection. 35mm slide circa 1978. Still has many of the era specifics such as the FS Safety Orange sync elevators, gull gray mast and hubs before they went to black, all OD nose. 17160 - if anyone can help with a full s/n that would be great.

33782582184_8d669119be_b.jpg

I'm sure you are right about the date date, Lloyd, but it is very unusual not to see a whip antenna on the roof on a bird in 78.  Did you notice the red unarmored pilot seats as well?  Pretty neat bird.  Thanks for sharing.

Ray

3 hours ago, rotorwash said:

I'm sure you are right about the date date, Lloyd, but it is very unusual not to see a whip antenna on the roof on a bird in 78.  Did you notice the red unarmored pilot seats as well?  Pretty neat bird.  Thanks for sharing.

Ray

Great spot Ray. I had the details wrong. 25 April 1972 at Crissy Army Air Field at the Presidio in San Fransico, CA. (amending the original post)

Project Left Bank operated by the ASA Army Security Agency- Originally there were three platforms operated. They were known as 'The Good' 'The Bad' and 'The Ugly' Here is one from April 1973 per the date on the photograph. The large nose mounted antenna was known as the Elephant brander.

33782323954_fe01384aba_b.jpg

ASA ARDF Left Bank The Ugly one of the three original UH-1D Project Left Bank  Hueys. Photo Col. Carlos Collat

22510827784_7a089eda7e_b.jpg

The equipment package slide into the troop cabin and made it into a giant listening post in the sky

23145308031_e5008e9ce9_b.jpg

Unfortunately they were underpowered and of the three two ended up like this

33815375333_05acd9594b_b.jpg

23145122221_f5af6654b1_b.jpg

Not sure if anyone has built one but I think it would be a good challenge.

I work for a small company that collects flight test data for use in simulator development and certification. Summer of 2014 I was involved with a Bell 212 test project where we installed boom to get pitot-static pressures and angles of attack and sideslip. The helicopter was manufactured in 1983 and our pilot was drafted and trained to fly for Vietnam. I do remember the yaw pedals being embossed BELL on the left and HUEY on the right.

I found the Project Left Bank interesting due to the similarity between the Elephant Brander and our booma.  Are there any close ups of the antenna and how it attaches to the bottom of the airframe? I did a google search and only found the photos in this thread.

16573055501_392acc37e9_c.jpg

15959503714_35e23927f0_c.jpg

My seat on board to run our equipment.

16394646000_8ae40970cd_c.jpg

1 hour ago, Crash Test Dummy said:

I re there any close ups of the antenna and how it attaches to the bottom of the airframe? I did a google search and only found the photos in this thread.

The only one's I haven't posted do not give a sharp decent view of the underbelly attachment points however as you can see they structurally enhanced the nose with rod like they did for Hueys equipped with the M5 nose mounted grenade launcher. 2 attachment points along the avionics panel for the support rods attached to the main Elephant Brander boom and there were two on the underbelly for the brander itself. Only one appears to have had the extra tail mounted blade antenna. There is also a longitudinal beam across the underbelly in the first image with a whip antenna mounted.

34494356102_c93e5cec90_b.jpg

33846603433_602a6f568e_b.jpg

34525784051_c2c850ceab_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here's you one.  A 173rd AHC "Crossbow" UH-1C gunship armed with the M21 system. The 173rd was the first in country unit to receive the new M21 minigun system in 1966. Photo is from the US Army Transportation Museum archives.

Ray

Image may contain: outdoor

17 minutes ago, Todd said:

34490751590_390ca3d05e_b.jpg

I saw this exact Huey at Hohenfels Joint Multinational Readiness Center in 1997

Todd

That bird is a JUH-1H OPFOR bird form the National Training Center at Ft. Irwin.  Are you sure you didn't see a bird painted like this?  This is a beautiful OPFOR UH-1H from the Joint Multinational Readiness Center in Hohenfels, Germany. Photo by Oliver Tafel.

Ray

Image may contain: airplane and outdoor

10 minutes ago, rotorwash said:

Todd

That bird is a JUH-1H OPFOR bird form the National Training Center at Ft. Irwin.  Are you sure you didn't see a bird painted like this?  This is a beautiful OPFOR UH-1H from the Joint Multinational Readiness Center in Hohenfels, Germany. Photo by Oliver Tafel.

Ray

Image may contain: airplane and outdoor

Ray,

I know exactly what it is. Trust me. 15 yrs as a 15M. I took a 100 photo shoot of it while I was there. The Hind D that is at NTC also came from Hohenfels, (which I saw also) As for the other UH-1H never saw it. Hohenfels also has numerous  types of armor. an Mi-4,Mi-8, 2 other hinds

Just now, Todd said:

Ray,

I know exactly what it is. Trust me. 15 yrs as a 15M. I took a 100 photo shoot of it while I was there. The Hind D that is at NTC also came from Hohenfels, (which I saw also) As for the other UH-1H never saw it. Hohenfels also has numerous  types of armor. an Mi-4,Mi-8, 2 other hinds

Well dang, Todd, don't keep us all in suspense,post some of those 100 photos!!!! This is a Huey photo thread after all!

Ray

Just now, rotorwash said:

Well dang, Todd, don't keep us all in suspense,post some of those 100 photos!!!! This is a Huey photo thread after all!

Ray

LOL, I took them because I was a Huey crewchief, It's a JUH-1H (VERY RARE) which I would never would stand next to again, and I BUILD ROTOR THINGS in Plastic.

side note: When I took pics of it it had all of it's Electronic Weapons Simulator kit installed as well.

1 minute ago, Todd said:

LOL, I took them because I was a Huey crewchief, It's a JUH-1H (VERY RARE) which I would never would stand next to again, and I BUILD ROTOR THINGS in Plastic.

side note: When I took pics of it it had all of it's Electronic Weapons Simulator kit installed as well.

We'd love to see the pics.  So she looked like this bird with the modified M5 grenade launcher on the nose and the M22 racks?

Ray

Image may contain: sky and outdoor

3 minutes ago, rotorwash said:

We'd love to see the pics.  So she looked like this bird with the modified M5 grenade launcher on the nose and the M22 racks?

Ray

Image may contain: sky and outdoor

That bird but the M22 rack didn't have the rockets, It had Electronic equipment hanging there. A tube that looked like a Stinger and some camera lense stuff. I was in formed by the CrewChf that it was for Mock Battle events recording. They could watch recorded video of target strikes and ground troop responses, to help in Unit METL training