5 hours ago, Tank said:

Ray,

Is that a collapsible skid? Have you seen anyone try to model that?

The tall skids folded up on the SOTAS birds so that the radar pod could rotate.  They looked quite strange sitting on the ground.

John Hairell

57 minutes ago, FM-Whip said:

The tall skids folded up on the SOTAS birds so that the radar pod could rotate.  They looked quite strange sitting on the ground.

John Hairell

John is right on.  Here's a JUH-1H SOTAS on static display northweast of I Corp Headquarters of Uilongbu, Korea. Photo by SSGT Ronald Seaman. Photo date Aug 31, 1976.  Note the smiley face on the front of the boom.  the other end had a sad face on it.

Ray

Image may contain: sky, outdoor and nature

18 hours ago, CharlieUH-1H said:

man! do you have more picture of that Huey with all the orange stripes??

Charlie, I had one more taken of the Joint Commission UH-1H aft looking forward but this 35mm slide along with some others has disappeared since my move last year. I hunted for it again yesterday with no luck.

1 minute ago, snake36bravo said:

Charlie, I had one more taken of the Joint Commission UH-1H aft looking forward but this 35mm slide along with some others has disappeared since my move last year. I hunted for it again yesterday with no luck.

Thanks man! it is ok!

that will be a cool huey to make with all that orange stripes!

Maybe Ray have some photos of them!

12 hours ago, salvador001 said:

There are so many variants and paint schemes of the Huey that i cant imagine how many Kitty Hawk kits i will buy LOL.

Rod.

lol man... I dont know what I will do.... with the KH   $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

• 2 months later...
7 minutes ago, Fat Russian said:

Does anyone have any good pics of the Vis mod on the JUH-1H, I'm attempting to build the classic Revell UH-1D into one of the NTC birds, any photos of the the nose will be greatly appreciated.

FR.

Here's a few photos from various sources.  the nose is made form a highly modified M5 40mm turret.

Image may contain: sky and outdoor

15418444_10154732965854098_7984482070765

Image may contain: sky, airplane and outdoor

No automatic alt text available.

I hope that helps.

Ray

Edited by rotorwash
  • 4 months later...

Here are a few pictures from my Dad's collection.  As far as I know, he or one of his unit took these pictures.

Obviously an Air America aircraft

RVN 0003

RVN 0020

The aircraft he was flying when he got shot down.  If KH ever releases its kit in 1/35, I want to build a diorama of this.  I have found the truck in 1/35.

RVN 0024

RVN 0025

Bullet hole in cowling

RVN 0026

More bullet holes

RVN 0030

RVN 0031

This was a well-worn aircraft.  Same aircraft shown in my signature below.  

RVN 0032

On 5/13/2017 at 3:36 PM, snake36bravo said:

Project Left Bank operated by the ASA Army Security Agency- Originally there were three platforms operated. They were known as 'The Good' 'The Bad' and 'The Ugly' Here is one from April 1973 per the date on the photograph. The large nose mounted antenna was known as the Elephant brander.

23145308031_e5008e9ce9_b.jpg

Interesting mod, and the seats are from a P-3 Orion. :)

Thanks for the ID on the aircraft seats. I  had wondered about those seats for a long time. The whole radio room package slid in which you can see in that image sits above the cabin floor.  I wont bore anyone with pictures of the radios or receivers. The EH-1H and current EH-60A/L aircraft are the end product of Project Left Bank.

Project Left Bank communications intercept helicopter 'The Ugly' - 371st Radio Research Company, ASA ADF - 1969 image from Col Yates

25713524598_e34bfa9b10_b.jpg

371st Radio Research Company 'The Good' ASA ADF Left Bank 1968-69 Phuoc Vinh, RVN image from Bob Herring

39554642542_3f6f63c99e_b.jpg

Early UH-1D  Left Bank Huey with its distinctive elephant brander antenna. Image from Col. Carlos Collat. Not 100% ascertained but this image looks CONUS during stateside trials of the package.

27807416949_485e95aefe_b.jpg

SPC Christopher Joseph Schramm, 371ST RRC, 509TH ASA GROUP, 1 CAV DIV, with his Left Bank Huey 'Snooper 1'. Chris was killed 13 May 1968 while en-route to Camp Evans when their vehicle struck a land mine. Chris jumped from the truck to go to the aid of other wounded soldiers and detonated a land mine.

27807420369_649d77c62c.jpg

On 08/01/2018 at 10:58 PM, snake36bravo said:

I wont bore anyone with pictures of the radios or receivers.

I'd like to see the pics if you have any... (particularly close-up, high quality images).

Best I've come across to date is this:

23145271651_5ccca14d4d_b.jpg

Original thread: 

Cheers,

Robert

• 1 month later...

Spotted this on Facebook the other day, some of the best Left Bank interior photo reference I've come across to date (original post, photo details and credits, linked below):

12493877_1383187021707565_88499229383883

Edited by RGS