AMK 1/48 Mig-31 kits

Can anyone explain the differences between the 2 AMK Mig-31 kits? There's #88003 which is the MIG-31BM/BSM and then there's kit # 88008 which is the Mig-31 B/BS.

I read somewhere that the second release (88008) was "upgraded" with better cockpit parts and other details. Is this true ? Which one is the best ??

Many thanks in advance

F

Not really an airliner, but...

The B/BS is the earlier model aircraft.  The most prominent difference is the ordnance: R-40 and R-60 missiles and associated pylons.  It also has analog instruments in the cockpit.  This version can be built as a late-Soviet or Russian aircraft, or a Kazakh AF jet.

The BM/BSM is a modernized version.  It comes with R-73 and R-77 missiles and pylons.  It also has digital instrument panels.  It can only be built as a Russian aircraft - the modernization program started in 2010, with a few aircraft trickling through each year.

In terms of other differences...

The BM/BSM, kit #88003 was released first, so it's sort of the 'baseline' kit.

The B/BS. kit #88008 was released next, and AMK added a second copy of the clear parts, with a yellow tint.  They added seatbelts and a radar to the PE fret (though the radar isn't strictly accurate), and added instrument panel decals and canopy seals to the decal sheet.

Then they released the BM/BSM 'deluxe edition', kit #88003-S, which included the additional tinted canopy (plus the clear), updated PE fret (with belts and radar) and updated decals (instrument panels and canopy seals), as well as die cast landing gear and pitot probe.

They also released the 'extras' as an 'upgrade kit', #88003-U, for the initial BM/BSM release - so you could add the tinted canopy, revised PE, revised decals and die cast gear to your BM/BSM if it didn't have them.

Lastly, they released *just* the die cast landing gear and pitot, kit #88003-8, so you could add these to your B/BS if you choose (since it already has the various updates).

So, in terms of which version to buy, if you want a Soviet or Kazakh jet, get the B/BS, and the die cast landing gear if you want those parts.  If you want the most modern version, get a BM/BSM; if you want all the extras, you can look for the deluxe edition kit, or the basic kit and the 'upgrade kit'; if you don't want the tinted canopy/pe belts/IP decals or metal landing gear, you're fine with just the basic BM/BSM kit.

15 hours ago, jester292 said:

Nice breakdown. Thanks MoFo; very helpful to those of us who don't understand the hierarchy. 

I finally got my upgraded MIG31 last Saturday morning, and boy is it nice. Actually too nice for a guy of my caliber! still find it hard to believe that AMK has not marketed the weapons sets separately. The metal landing gear legs are as good as I've ever seen and maybe even better than any I've ever seen. It's a kit that really needs zero after market (unless you want a different decal scheme). Also the best packed box I've ever seen a kit come in, by a long shot.

gary 

But basically, the metal gears are just metal versions of the plastic landing gears, they do not possess any extra detail, right? Suppose they still include the original plastic ones in the package so you can make any judgment. 

46 minutes ago, janman said:

But basically, the metal gears are just metal versions of the plastic landing gears, they do not possess any extra detail, right? Suppose they still include the original plastic ones in the package so you can make any judgment. 

Pretty much. But, from what I've seen on their Facebook build page there has been some breakage of the nose gear. The kit gear are fragile, be careful.

7 hours ago, janman said:

you're right, but there is fewer assembly required if you choose the metal version of the landing gears. there is 11 metal parts in the Die Cast set, of which 10 are for the landing gears (1 is the pitot) ...where the plastic landing gears require 17 parts.

Edited by mingwin