Unpinning obsolete pinned threads

You mean you don't think it's still relevant that some PM's went missing seven years ago?  

What if some long-lost member finally returns home after being stranded on a deserted island in a plane crash, logs on to the site for the first time this decade, so they can reply to the private message they received just before that fateful day, only to find that it's disappeared?  How are they going to know what happened?  I mean, his wife has married someone else, and he has lost the volleyball that kept them company all those years.  Don't you think Tom Hanks has been through enough already?  The least we can do is keep a sticky so he knows where his PMs went.

7 hours ago, Crazy Snap Captain said:

I stand corrected, especially if he was delivering the traveling box o' goodies.

So that's where that went.  Geez, it seems so obvious now, doesn't it?

According to the threads:

The travelling goodies box AKA MAFIA box: 

No, it died at last years Hamilton show.

We would need to start a new one but the increase in Canada post costs killed off the last one.

The 'Merican travelling goodies box:

The box is here in my house. I am still sitting with it. I will be very honest with the contents when I received it the last time. IT WAS CRAP!. There was not a single whole kit in it, It was like someone put all their junk into it. I feel if we start the box back up 80-85 percent of the stuff in the box would just gather more dust than it already has. It right now isn't worth the price for shipping it. Not sure what do to with it honestly.....

Jeremy

Nuke 'em... 

I too would be very much in favor of this kind of a clean-up. Have been wanting to speak up, but have feared the backlash. So, lemme piggy back on Captain's thread. If I could, I would: 

- Unpin Traveling goodies, American traval. goodies threads (http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/forum/2-general-discussion/)

- Unpin F-8 dicussions under Jet Modeling (http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/forum/3-jet-modeling/). Seems a little out of place; many subjects can be pinned that way which would be odd. Maybe unpin and move that to Research Corner or something?
- Sponsors' Forums: Are those sponsors all active? (http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/forum/62-sponsors39-forums/) Hobbydecal seems to be long gone. 

Hobbystuff Depot also seems to be very inactive (ok, except one thread about ATP decals). IIRC, these guys pay a fee to be listed.  So perhaps they need to be kept around if they are paying. 

- Remove 'Non-Aircraft Modeling' under the aircraft modeling forums.

- Remove 'Archives and Completed Events' under the aircraft modeling forums.

Otherwise, ARC is excellent :). I like the new site a lot and would like to thank again those who have been involved in the update. Tremendous job!

On 4/5/2017 at 8:10 PM, Crazy Snap Captain said:

There's a fair few obsolete pinned threads on these boards. My OCD wants them cleaned. Just a thought. Might be time for some spring cleaning...??? 

Muh OCD...:bandhead2:

Several years ago the pinned topic subject came up and I suggested creating either "Master Pin" threads for each forum or "Archived Topics" sub-forums. Both were tried but neither seems to have worked out well. (See props and jet modeling for examples of each.)

The Props "Master Pin for Props" thread started well but hasn't been updated by any mods for 7 years. The two links it provides are both valuable resources but I'm sure there are lots more in Props that should be included.

The "Archived Topics" sub-forums in Jets, GD & T&T  just don't work well. The threads that belong in these sub-forums don't get much attention and can't be searched through the normal "search this forum" feature of each main category. Newbies start threads there that don't belong and never get seen.

I'd suggest keeping the "Master Pin" format but changing the name to "Valuable Props threads (links here!)".
Mods can unlock and add new links as necessary.

Eliminate the "Archived Topics" sub-forums and create pinned, locked "Valuable name threads (links here!)" for each main sub-forum.

Create a pinned thread in Forum FAQ titled "Suggestions for pinned threads in sub-forums" where people can suggest threads for the mods to pin.

:cheers:

Edited by Zactoman
6 minutes ago, Zactoman said:

The "Archived Topics" sub-forums in Jets, GD & T&T  just don't work well. The threads that belong in these sub-forums don't get much attention and can't be searched through the normal "search this forum" feature of each main category. Newbies start threads there that don't belong and never get seen.

I've become a burr under the mods' saddles with my rather frequent reporting of new posts in any of the archived forums. I can't do anything about searching them, though.

24 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

I've become a burr under the mods' saddles with my rather frequent reporting of new posts in any of the archived forums. I can't do anything about searching them, though.

Eliminating the "Archived Topics" sub-forums will take care of both the problems.

Moving the contents back to the main sub-forum will make them searchable again.

Edited by Zactoman
On 4/9/2017 at 2:42 PM, Zactoman said:

Eliminating the "Archived Topics" sub-forums will take care of both the problems.

Moving the contents back to the main sub-forum will make them searchable again.

Yup I agree....I will do that in the near future.