Eurofighter Typhoon over Alabama???

So while outside smoking a cigarette, I hear the familiar sound of a loud, low flying jet. Being that Dannelley has F-16's, I thought it would be one of theirs. As it flew over at about 700 to 800, I could see the delta wing, front cunards, and twin engines. Must be a Typhoon. The only reason I can think of is it must be here for the Maxwell afb airshow. Maybe some kind of joint training? Has anyone else spotted it? It was flying south towards Montgomery.

So cool! Would I be correct that this would be the first time a Typhoon visited Alabama? I wonder how much convincing it took the organizers to get them to fly across the Atlantic for an airshow. And we get to see the A400 as well. Man, this is going to be a good show! We'll have to leave early to get a good parking spot that's not a half mile away.

Must be nice, over here in Georgia we're getting a flyover from a B-2, but the only aircraft on the ground are a P-3 and a P-8.  There was supposed to be an F-35, but it's not listed anymore so apparently that got scrapped.  We'll see though, maybe I get lucky tomorrow

15 hours ago, caudleryan said:

I wonder how much convincing it took the organizers to get them to fly across the Atlantic for an airshow.

They're already here for the Atlantic Trident Exercise at Langley.  The Brits will usually try and combine things like a Red Flag, WSEP, airshows, etc... on these deployments.

Regards,

Murph

Ahhh. Good to know. Well, the airshow was a huge sucess. Got burned to a crisp, but it was worth it. The A400 put on quite a show and I was amazed at how quiet it was. We also had an F-35 flyover. And man, were they loud! 

1 hour ago, caudleryan said:

Ahhh. Good to know. Well, the airshow was a huge sucess. Got burned to a crisp, but it was worth it. The A400 put on quite a show and I was amazed at how quiet it was. We also had an F-35 flyover. And man, were they loud! 

It was a great time! I'm in the process of downloading 2K+ photos, I'm going to be a while going through them.  What a terrific show - the Thunderbirds, the PAF, a B-2 and F-35 flyover, some great statics, and just about perfect weather.  If only we weren't shooting into the sun all afternoon for the flight demos...

Gents,

Murph was spot on. They should be the same jets that were already out there from Red Flag. 6 Sqn from Lossiemouth flew them at Nellis, but the squadron may well have swapped for Atlantic Trident as they don't normally keep the same unit on for two separate exercises. Coningsby's units are accounted for, so I'm guessing it's either 1 or 2 Sqn from Lossie. Note how colourful the RAF Typhoon fleet is nowadays!

Gary

Yup...

What Murph and Gary said

6 squadron took them to Nellis for Red Flag

2 squadron kept them at Nellis for Green Flag

41 took a couple jets and headed to China Lake for weapons testing

and 1 took the  remaining jets from Nellis over to Langley for Atlantic Trident (and will then bring them home)

Talk about getting the most bang for your buck with your aircraft!

I personally think that the RAF need to permanently base half a dozen of them here in the U.S. and just rotate the crews (like the they did at Goose Bay with the Tornados in the 80s)

John