USAF F-5F vs USN F-5F

So here my dillema,

I have the USAF F-5F and want to make it into the MiG-28 2-seat version in Top Gun. I have the single version MiG-28 i can use for the nose. What else do i need to use ?

2 hours ago, gb_madcat_sl said:

Not sure of the full set of changes but you will also need to use the enlarged LERX as well. 

Mark

Yeah what Mark said. Can't have the sharknose without the -6 LERX, they were both either installed together or not. For that timeframe I would venture any other extras would be limited to bang seats (early or late) and Navy specific antennas if any. Would have to watch the movie again to see. Of course if you wanna be anal, the rear canopy also need to be checked if it had the cabin pres relief valve vent.

7 hours ago, adamitri said:

So i should just get the "Sundowners" F-5F kit...

The LERX are separate pieces in the AFV kits so you can just use the parts from your Mig-28 kits i.e nose and LERXes. Looking at limited pics on google there seems to be no extra antennas so you are good with the USAF kit, however you will need the later seats with the bigger headrests. Not sure if that's in the kit but you can get aftermarket easy.

Only thing I cant make out is the canopy so not sure if its early or late but I just checked the USAF instructions and you have the late vented canopy in there and the Mig-28 instruction shows a late canopy as well so looks like you're good with what you have now. Also just saw the late seats are in the USAF kits.

So in a nutshell- Decals, sharknose and -6 LERXes from your Mig-28. All other parts as per your USAF F-5F. No VHF antenna on spine, just the usual 2 under the nose per your kit instructions. Leave off the CM dispenser under the fuselage and the 4 RWR blisters. Late seats and vented canopy. HTH