Looking for Feedback on a new subscription box service

Hi guys!

I am starting a new subscription box service for scale modelers, and  I would love some feedback about how much people would be willing to spend per month, and what people would expect in the box each month. 

I am breaking things down by types of models, ie Aircraft, Armor, cars Etc. And when you sign up for a subscription, you get to choose the scale you want your kits to come in.  

I would really love to know what else people would like to see in their monthly box, other than a kit, and how much they would feel is a fair price to pay per month. 

I look forward to your feedback.

I have limited subject interests, and probably wouldn't sign up unless it were tailored for my interests, but I think something like $20-30 per month would be reasonable. Depends what's included. Resin? Decals? Photoetch? Weapons sets? For what's out there in after market you don't get a lot of bang for your buck. I could be more helpful if you could elaborate on your idea a little bit more. 

Unfortunately, I cannot think of any modeling supply (paint, tools, decals) or kits that I would be able to consume on a monthly basis that would justify the next shipment to me. It would just end up being a pile of stuff that I would either have to store somewhere or seek ways to sell off. I have to say even if it were free I don't think I would sign up due to the hassle it would create (me being a minimalist). 

No problem. I seems that the majority of negative feedback I've been getting is that modelers don't like surprises. They want to know what they're getting, and I can respect that, but on the other side of the coin, I feel that there are other modelers, like myself, who don't have a set era or niche that they model, I just build anything that sparks my interest... and I'm sure I'm not alone in that. 

But for those who want to be a bit more discerning, I want to integrate filters into the subscription process, so that what you do get every month is more in line with your modeling tastes, I will add eras and subcategories to the subscription process, so that you can get something closer to what you want. 

I also want to stress that that you will not be just getting a kit in a box every month. I want to supply people with cool tools, exclusive products, aftermarket parts, and maybe even some t-shirts, pins or buttons. I'm trying to create value.

Also, people can exchange anything they don't want for something else.

Edited by Orion Field

So, you're a retailer expanding into Internet sales? No slight intended, I'm just wondering where your inventory is located. 

Twenty-five years ago, this might have interested me. Now, I have three closets full of kits and aftermarket to get me through retirement.  Anything I buy now is limited to new molds of new subjects.

Hope you have a profitable outcome.

Wasn't there a Monogram and/or Revell models program like this in the past? I remember my brother had a subscription service and I think it was Revell. It was a lot like the columbia house records (CDs) club and you could turn down the model for that month if you chose to. I don't know how much interest there would be considering now days it's so easy to get any kit you could possibly want. Back then it was limited to either what you could find at the stores OR mail order catalogs (eventually), which wasn't NEARLY as convenient as it is today. So getting a kit surprise was kind of cool. Also, unless you have a good source for cheap wholesale kits, I don't see that you'd be able to offer anything that most people would be interested in under $40 a month without losing money. Just not sure. Not saying it's a bad idea, just not sure it's feasible this day and age.

Now having said that, I could see POSSIBLY some sort of club like this that has monthly or bimonthly build packages. Something like a group build but where everyone gets the same kit, supplies and reference. But even that I would think would have limited interest.

Bill

Its not just about the kit, I've been debating the same thing with the model railroaders too, and they came up with some cool ideas to make this work a bit better.

In the subscription process, you will be able to choose: Scale, Era (WWI, WWII, Cold War, Modern), Topic (US, UK, Russia, Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia/NZ, South America )

Each Box would potentially contain 1 kit, possible a conversion, related details (weapons, Resin parts, Photo etch, etc), accessories (decals, paints, tools, etc), aircraft related pins or buttons.

I will be partnering with various manufacturers from across the industry for exclusive products

The Exchange: If you don't like what you get, trade it in for something else.

It doesn't have to be a mystery, we can let you know what you'll be getting before we send things out, so that you make your exchange before shipping.

On 4/9/2017 at 11:33 PM, Trojan Thunder said:

First I have heard of a subscription box service.  Can you elaborate on the idea?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subscription_boxes

Basically, you pay a sum of money for a business to send you a box of items every month.  Typically the purpose is either to sample new things you may be interested in (like a food-of-the-month club), or to get regular, convenient deliveries of frequently consumed items (diaper services or shave clubs).

Personally, I think once a month is a little too frequent. Every 2 or 3 months would be a better time frame. I have a ton of kits already and adding new items once a month is a little much. If you include regular consumables (liquid glue, small tube of putty, some basic paint colours etc) along with a model kit or item or two, every 2-3 months works out quite well. As you said, its easy to sell or trade the items you don't need and if people can personalise the kits, it would limit the number of similar items hitting the buy and sell at the same time.

few things to keep in mind. Paints can not be shipped from the U.S. to Canada, and shipping costs are VERY high and just going to get higher so this may limit people like myself who live in Canada. The price point in general may scare people away. a high price while not really being able to control the inbound items (prefered glues, paints, putties, chance of duplicating whats already in the stash) may keep people away. 

Idea: create a number of package themes, as you had in mind (country, era, scale) and then when purchased, that package gets sent over the course of the year (every 2-3 months) and by the end you have everything you need to build that kit including the kit, some aftermarket (resin and decals), reference material, a few colours that are needed for that aircraft, and the little bits (pins, patches, buttons, memorablia etc).

Not everyone is going to get the same kit. a 1/48 WWII U.S. package..some might get a P-51, others a P-47, others a Corair. Even if 2 people get a P-51 kit, the aftermarket sets and decals may be different. And since it takes a year for it all to show up, its keeps us interested, and at the end, only 1 kit gets added to the stash

Sean

It's noted earlier that this would be like a record or book club. Each month you get a notice of what's to shipped. If you don't respond in the negative, the package wil be sent and you pay for the box or you pay to send it back. I seem to recall the notices for my book club were offset from the box mailing by about ten days to two weeks so I plenty of time to get the refusal to the club.

It is a concept that has spread pretty rapidly the past few years. I've seen them set up for clothing, makeup, sewing, meals, just about anything anymore. I think I would give it a try at probably $30 a month or so, depending on what was in it. I was a member of Lootcrate for some time and loved it. I like the idea of tweaking it for individual consumers. Say along the lines of scale and armor, ships, airplanes and whatnot . I know several of the nerd crates have done that and it seems to work very well.

Thanks for all your comments. I think the biggest challenge right now is going to be the cost. Even with buying things at Wholesale, its going to be tough to get the prices low enough to make everyone happy and still make a profit. I'll let you guys know what I decide. 

Let me start by saying I would not do something like this b/c being a LONG time modeler I have MORE than enough of everything. Now if I were new to modelling I'd be more inclined if this was either every other month or quarterly. Maybe you could set it up so people can choose the different time increment that fits them. I'd also set it at three levels ie:  Basic level..The kit and supplies to build it and pre cut mask for a/c.  The intermediate level add in basic aftermarket like a zoom pe and maybe resin wheels. then advanced with the addition of a full PE and some resin sets. prices well that would be dependent on scale....  for me it would be 1/48. Here is what I think is fair market....  the basic deal around 60.00 and upwards of 100.00 for the advanced with the intermediate somewhere in the middle would not be out of touch with today's price points.this is all dependent on the kit you choose so I know price can vary. so you'd have to figure a LOT of things out beforeyou roll out the offerings.....just some thoughts HTH