New Steel Beach item for the Tamiya Tomcat

I'm making more. That's my focus this week. I'll try and get them up to SB by the beginning of next week if I can. Don't worry about them not being available for an extended period of time. I'll make sure it doesn't happen. I will say I was a bit taken back by how fast they went. I expected them to last at least a day or so, not a couple of hours!

Edited by Darren Roberts
  • 1 month later...

Hello

Sorry to highjack this post...I do build a Tamiya Tomact right now but I have a question to "The Master" about the Monogram Cat...which Darren is the king in! I got a super cheap -D from Revell/Monogram and want to convert it into an early -A with the boat tail. Which of your tails, if any, fits better, the Tamiya one or the Hasegawa one? I will use some left over Tamiya parts on the Monogram bird like the wheels, a set of exausts, possibly the seats and some rockets. A last question on Steel Beach stuff...did you ship any of the newer sets to your German dealers already.

thanks

Uwe

1 hour ago, anj4de said:

Hello

Sorry to highjack this post...I do build a Tamiya Tomact right now but I have a question to "The Master" about the Monogram Cat...which Darren is the king in! I got a super cheap -D from Revell/Monogram and want to convert it into an early -A with the boat tail. Which of your tails, if any, fits better, the Tamiya one or the Hasegawa one? I will use some left over Tamiya parts on the Monogram bird like the wheels, a set of exausts, possibly the seats and some rockets. A last question on Steel Beach stuff...did you ship any of the newer sets to your German dealers already.

thanks

Uwe

I would go with the Tamiya part, as it's wider than the Hasegawa part. You may still need to fill in some more, as I think the the Monogram is even wider between the tails than the Tamiya kit. I'm reworking the master for the Tamiya early boat tail, so it may not be available until summer.

I haven't had an order from Volkhard in awhile. He should be due for one. If you can get ahold of him, you might be able to convince to bring in some of the newer sets.

Edited by Darren Roberts
  • 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, A-10 LOADER said:

Just a question but, why wouldn't there be 4 bombracks in the set instead of just 2 ??

Steve

Most pictures I looked at showed just the front two stations carrying ordnance. I guess my brain just went with that. There is a dual pack set you can pick up that's cheap that gives you extra bomb racks.

4 hours ago, dehowie said:

Just wondering Darren are you going to release a D set as well or just the B and let us get the twin chin pod naces seats etc..

If I can get the instrument panels to look decent, I'll do a D set. I'm hoping to work on it this summer, but I've got to get ready for the IPMS Nats in Omaha.

7 hours ago, Matt Walker said:

Have you improved the quality of the NACA panel at all. I received a copy of that part a while ago, and have to say that I was less than impressed with it. 

M

I made a new master and changed up how it was molded, so I think it's an improvement over the original. There were some problems with fit which I couldn't figure out, so I chose to start over. This one requires some cutting, but it's nothing that's too difficult. It's a really difficult piece to cast. As I've said in the past, I'm not on par with the big boys. It's simply an extension of my hobby. Believe me, I will never get rich from doing this! LOL 

13 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

Thanks! I like to think of my stuff as "functional and affordable".

Actually the new stuff like your F-14B, Skywarrior stuff is very high quality indeed.

you did a great job with the fit of the exhaust fairing fit on the F-14B accounting for shrinkage etc. Mine fit like a tight glove with only the smallest slightest of gaps thats easily taken care of. So i ordered another plus some D sensors, i will use an old BB set for seats and panels.

Buying from down here with a 30% weaker dollar and expensive shipping means i only buy value and quality and Steel Beach is both.

if anyone is thinking about doing a B or D from the TamiyaCat just go grab Darrens set...