P-40E question

I am currently doing a commission build ( P-40E Warhawk in the Flying Tigers scheme ) for a client and would like to get this as accurate as possible. I have sent this question to a well known builder, and have looked at other builds and the few topside photos available and have not come to a definitive answer.

On the decal placement sheet the white star on the blue roundel seems to have an odd orientation. This is somewhat hard to describe, but it is not at 90° to the leading edge of the wing , nor the centerline of the fuselage nor a line drawn through the mid-chord area on the wing. On both the upper and lower wing surfaces the star seems to be turned about 10° in a clockwise direction (from the positions just noted). It doesn't seem to line up with anything.

One person said to line it up with the leading edge which seems logical. Another very nice build has it lined up as the decal placement sheet shows.

I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Bob

According the curtiss drawing "markings",
 on the wing, the vertical line of star is parallel to centerline aircraft, at 56" 1/4 from the wingtip.
The center is at middle of the leading edge and aileron cutout

.The sweep back of leading edge was 1°19', don't line up the star with it
The US roundel was 32" 1/2 diameter(wing) & 36" 9/16(fuselage)

1 hour ago, Don923 said:

Why are you not using a P-40C since you are building a Flying tiger paint scheme, or is what you building a 23FG aircraft?

Because I'm building the kit and using the decals that the client gave me and wants.

On 4/11/2017 at 2:38 PM, Sowar said:

According the curtiss drawing "markings",
 on the wing, the vertical line of star is parallel to centerline aircraft, at 56" 1/4 from the wingtip.
The center is at middle of the leading edge and aileron cutout

.The sweep back of leading edge was 1°19', don't line up the star with it
The US roundel was 32" 1/2 diameter(wing) & 36" 9/16(fuselage)

I could only find two photos in the great set for which Jari posted the link that show the wing roundel. In both cases, the vertical line of the star (perpendicular to the top edges of the two upper side points) seems clearly and significantly canted counterclockwise so that the top edges of the upper side points are even counterclockwise from the wing leading edge. Very odd IMHO. Of course, all the planes in the photo set are B/Cs, which may make a difference. Still, it's hard to see with what the roundels were actually lined up.

Edited by seawinder

I look at again several pics(H81, 87),  none roundel was lined up perfectly, Probably these large decal was not applied easily as those

on reduced model despite the drawing on the back of paper(it was transfert decal, not waterslide decal)
Straight or inclined, the most important was to identify the nationality quickly.