The Hasegawa's raised surface detail is a caricature of the real thing; it's a low observable jet, so the raised "armor plating" is ridiculous.  If the kit names were reversed, Academy would be crucified for issuing a kit with that kind of surface detail.  The Academy kit also has better and more weapons, including JDAMs, and if you've paid attention, that's how the Raptor has seen combat so far.

Regards,

Muph

I've built both. Yes the RAM on the Hasegawa kit is exaggerated but landing gear, gear wells, weapons bay and a few other details are better on the Hasegawa kit. That said, Academy's kit makes a very nice model as well.

I thought that the Academy kit was junk from an overall perspective. I recall way the weapons bays and intakes were engineered as being pretty bad.  Some weird shapes in other areas as well.  The big issue with the Haswegawa kit are the thick LO panels.  The Hasegawa detail is superior to the Academy kit.  Below is a link to my WIP of the Hasegawa kit over on Zone Five.  Once under paint, the panels didn't look to bad.  I'm not a purist when it comes to accuracy kit.  I'd pick the Hobby Boss A-10 over the Monogram kit any day, for example.  

Chris

Here's the link:

http://zone-five.net/showthread.php?t=14052

I also prefer the Hasegawa kit. Under a good paint job, the thick armor plating doesn't stand out as much as it does on the bare plastic. Kit decals are nice too, and better detail (and shape!) than the Academy kit. Academy kit is nice, but none of the wow factor the Hasegawa kit has. And Hasegawa took a ribbing when the kit was released because of the overscaled fuselage plates. Some think the kit is unbuildable. Still, it's impressive and I would build it over the Academy kit every single time. 

The Raptor is hardly a glass smooth fuselage due to the RAM materials. They're very distinct. If the Has. detail is exaggerated, it's not by much. Dabbing in some paint or some Mr Surfacer 1000 would take care of it. Eduard offers PE panels for the Academy kit, and Sierra Hotel used to offer corrected nose and stabs for the kit. Why no one has offered the RAM panels as vinyl stick-ons, I don't know. I've seen very nice builds of both kits.

PICT0342 - Copy.JPG

1 hour ago, gb_madcat_sl said:

Speaking of the Hasegawa Raptor, does anyone do decals with stencils for the kit? I got 2 copies of the Idolmaster version when they were on sale but have no "proper" decals to use. 

Mark

Hyuck hyuck! You got the pink one too, huh?  Yah, I couldn't resist the HLJ sale even though 1/48's not my scale. I too would like to get rid of the Idolmaster pink and build a USAF one.  Maybe someday someone will release them.  :)

Worse come to worst, I'll just use spare decals and build a 1/48 version of this:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10262268/10/1

:thumbsup:

2 hours ago, F4DPhantomII said:

I appreciate the comments but the topic was who had the more correct Main landing gear.

Not to be critical of your choice of putting the main question in the tags field, but even back when the forum had the sub-title field instead, plenty of people missed or overlooked stuff put in there because of its font size and placement. Much too similar to this years Oscar to best movie gaffe. The font size and where you place your info matters, that's why everyone missed your main question, me included. In the tags field I'd have expected info like 'Hasegawa", "Academy" "1/48" "F-22", instead.

Edited by Inquisitor
14 minutes ago, Inquisitor said:

Not to be critical of your choice of putting the main question in the tags field, but even back when the forum had the sub-title field instead, plenty of people missed or overlooked stuff put in there because of its font size and placement. Much too similar to this years Oscar to best movie gaffe. The font size and where you place your info matters, that's why everyone missed your main question, me included. In the tags field I'd have expected info like 'Hasegawa", "Academy" "1/48" "F-22", instead.

I was about to say the same.....