Hi everyone! I need to know if there is any brand/brands in the market that has an ENAMEL (not lacquer nor acrylic) burnt iron shade. if none, what enamel paint could I use to make the closest resemblance of it? Please advise. Thanks in advice!

Edited by flybywire

I could have sworn  there was a burnt Iron paint (not metalizer) in the MM line up. Maybe it was discontinued in the great purge of colors testors had a few years ago. I do not have the time right now to search through my paint stash, but I thought I had a "Burnt Iron" enamel. It is not on the testors website, or at tower hobbies.

What you could do is start with the testors paint color "jet exhaust" and add brown to it to get the shade you seek.  Tamiya has the right color, but you stated you were not interested in Acrylics. I could not find a similar color on the Humbrol paint charts.

On 4/13/2017 at 10:24 AM, flybywire said:

It's not enamel. It's lacquer-based. It's right there on the label - Model Master Metalizer Lacquer.

Image result for testors model master, 1424

Geez, Vark tried to help and you go negative on him. I want to party with you dude. (sarcasm)

Edited by Mr Matt Foley
Sarcasm
On 4/13/2017 at 9:52 AM, Kurt H. said:

I could have sworn  there was a burnt Iron paint (not metalizer) in the MM line up. Maybe it was discontinued in the great purge of colors testors had a few years ago. I do not have the time right now to search through my paint stash, but I thought I had a "Burnt Iron" enamel. It is not on the testors website, or at tower hobbies.

What you could do is start with the testors paint color "jet exhaust" and add brown to it to get the shade you seek.  Tamiya has the right color, but you stated you were not interested in Acrylics. I could not find a similar color on the Humbrol paint charts.

I've been using MM since the mid 80's, and as far as I know their metalizer is the only BI I've ever known them to have.

But definitely mixing is a wonderful option; I'm always doing that for metal bits. Steel with Jet Exhaust and a touch of silver, etc etc, etc, the possibilities are endless!

1 hour ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Geez, Vark tried to help and you go negative on him. I want to party with you dude. (sarcasm)

Geez, what negative? I was simply trying to tell Vark who tried to help that MM 1424 is not enamel but lacquer and I showed Vark who tried to help proof. Geez.....

Edited by flybywire
On 4/13/2017 at 7:52 PM, Kurt H. said:

I could have sworn  there was a burnt Iron paint (not metalizer) in the MM line up.

Perhaps you're mixing it up with the non-metalizer Gun Metal which they did have?

Edited by ijozic
2 hours ago, ijozic said:

Perhaps you're mixing it up with the non-metalizer Gun Metal which they did have?

Very well could be.  When I saw the question I figured it would be a simple matter to find it, but I could not, so I must have confused it with the metalizer. Any way I will dig though my paint and see if this unicorn exists or not, mostly to satisfy my curiosity. 

Try Testors Model Master Jet Exhaust, #1796. It is the closest thing to burnt iron you will find in enamel and can always be mixed with steel or black to get the appearance you want. If you want something perhaps closer to the metalizer Burnt Iron shade, I would start with steel and/or perhaps a steel and aluminum mix. When you hit it with a flat coat, that should take it to a burnt iron appearance pretty easily.

Edited by Jay Chladek
On ‎19‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 1:59 AM, Kurt H. said:

I solved my personal mystery, I knew I had recently purchased a non metalizer burnt iron, It is Gunze Mr. Color 61 .. not model master. I really thought I had lost my mind. 

Of all the things that I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most.

Chris

On 4/18/2017 at 3:44 PM, JeffreyK said:

I did suggest AK Extreme Metal "burnt metal" earlier. There's not just ModelMaster on the planet...

No there isn't, but in the states, Model Master is still the most numerous thing out there as far as enamels go. I know there are other paint lines and I have some bottles of them. But when it comes to just needing one bottle of paint, it can be a little easier to visit the local hobby shop and picking up a single bottle of Model Master as opposed to mail ordering something (assuming there is a shop close enough to get paint).

On 4/20/2017 at 0:36 PM, dogsbody said:

Of all the things that I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most.

Chris

Check with Westjet maybe they flew it to another province?? :wasntme:

As to the original question you may want to spend a bit of time browsing pics on the net of jet exhausts. There are many different shades around and I bought a couple of the small square Testors Steel paints and some spare bottles and started mixing colours, adding black, & various greys.

If you decide to look at some pics save them and print them later for a reference when painting your jet.

HTH