Hello ARC,

Here's my latest...  Trumpeter's 1/72 Su-30MKK with Naza Model Art's conversion kit and Begemot decals to make an Indian Air Force Su-30MKI.  I painted the model with Mr. Color lacquers, which I mixed to match some photos I have from a recent exercise in the US.  I am by no means a Flanker expert or know anything about the IAF, however It seems the more recent visits of these jets to the US and UK sport this darker shade of gray.  It also seem that they have recently adopted the red/white Western-style ejection seat warning triangles underneath the canopy rail.  So I just had to include them on my model... kind of an odd East meets West thing.  The weapons came from multiple sources; the KAB-500L LGBs are from Advanced Modeling, the EL/L-8222 ECM pod is from Wolfpack, the Litening targeting pod is from Eduard, and the missiles are stolen from the Zvezda Su-33 (hint to what's next...).  The stand was built from a block of oak and an aluminum bar I found in my garage.  I posed the model as if it were just competing a rejoin on a tanker...  IFR probe extended, throttles back (nozzles open), and the speed brake partially extended to stop the last bit of closure as the pilot matches airspeed with the tanker.  Pre-contact, stable, ready...  Hope you like model! 

Todd

DSC_0066_2.jpgDSC_0075_1.jpgDSC_0072_2.jpgDSC_0078_1.jpgDSC_0076_1.jpgDSC_0070_1.jpgDSC_0069_3.jpg

Edited by TBP1538
Post photos...
45 minutes ago, Sebastijan said:

Very nice job! Did you have any problems with the conversion? I have it in my stash and I am planning on building the Su-30SM.

Thank you Sebastijan.  The fuselage fairings for the canards were pretty straight forward, and I don't think you'll have any trouble.  I found the Naza Model resin to be much harder than the Trumpeter plastic, which made re-scribing panel lines and getting a sharp, consistent leading edge a little challenging.  It's up to you to devise your own method for attaching the canards to the model.  I used metal pins and it seemed to work out ok, however the canard pieces are very thin and ended up being very fragile on the model.  I did not use the tails or the engine nozzles from the Naza Model kit on my model.  I did not want the canted nozzles for my in-flight pose, and they did not look right to me.  I think they may be too short...  The vertical tails in my sample were not cast very well with soft edges and details so I modified some Su-27UB tails I had in the spares bin. 

On another note, I think I read somewhere that Zvezda's next Flanker kit will be a Su-30SM...  I don't remember where I read it, or if it's just wishful thinking, but it seems about right now that I've gone to the trouble to build this model! 

Great job! very nice weathering and presentation.

Where were you able to get the resin conversion? I haven't seen anybody that seems to have it in stock.

Cheers!

Hoops

13 hours ago, Janissary said:

Wow! What a beautiful model and presentation. Everything looks incredible but the exhaust area looks particularly impressive. The inflight is also super attractive. I wish i had your finesse. 

2 hours ago, rom said:

not my scale, but I must admit this one is very nice!

well done!

Thanks gents, I'm glad you like it! 

2 hours ago, Hoops said:

Great job! very nice weathering and presentation.

Where were you able to get the resin conversion? I haven't seen anybody that seems to have it in stock.

Cheers!

Hoops

Thanks Hoops, I appreciate the compliments.  I bought the conversion set from the Vagabond Decals web store.  It looks like the website is down at the moment, but hopefully they still have some in stock. 

Todd

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 10:09 PM, Fighting Eighty-Four said:

Absolutely beautiful, especially considering its 1/72!

I just love the look of the Su-30s with canards.  I really hope some day someone comes out with a 1/48 kit of the MKI, MKM, or SM.

5 hours ago, janman said:

Such a handsome aircraft. A great model too!

Thank you for the compliments gents!  I also hope someone will kit a canard equipped Su-30 variant.  Occasionally, when I go to the trouble to convert a kit or put a lot of effort into an older kit, an new-tool version comes along shortly thereafter. So, keep your fingers crossed... 

2 hours ago, Bravosierra001 said:

That looks great. I especially like the third picture!

Brandon

On Tuesday, April 25, 2017 at 6:30 PM, ChernayaAkula said:

Lovely build! :worship: Nice to see an airborne Flanker.

20 hours ago, su27rules said:

Great!! Fantastic build!!

2 hours ago, Bravosierra001 said:

That looks great. I especially like the third picture!

Brandon

Thanks gents! ChernayaAkula, I think an airborne Flanker look pretty menacing too :)