The F-14 is close to my favourite post war jet so when Tamiya released this I had to have it. It's a bit of  pity they've done the real early A as I actually prefer the late A's and B's. But as I don't have a Hi Viz F-14 in my collection, and it's by Tamiya I figured I may as well build this as close to from the box as I can.

Lets see if it lives up to the hype. 

I'm going for the VF-41 option at this stage , using aftermarket seats . The wheels are late wheels so I don't think they are correct. I'll check the kit ones out and see what they look like.

F-14_A-01.jpg

About 4 hours work and some of the major sub assemblies are done. So far everything fits perfectly, and I mean perfectly. I've found if it doesn't fit I've not cleaned up a sprue gate properly. 

Some parts I haven't even bother to glue as they just click in, Or when I have used glue I've not bothered to glue the entire length of the join, just tacked it in a few places.

I have a small seam to fill on the leading edge of the wing gloves where the upper and lower fuselage meets. 

F-14_A-02.jpg

Edited by a4s4eva

This is going to be great. One of the best side effects of the Taimya tomcat is I have seen a lot of people build the VF-41 jet with the original big spade markings. I used to hardly ever see them on models or in photos. One of the best looking F-14s in my opinion and I am like you, I normally prefer late A's and B's.

2 hours ago, Pappy121 said:

Great choice Calum. I have this in the stash so it will great to see you sort out any of the pitfalls (if any) before I get around to building mine!

cheers,

Pappy

So far no pitfalls to report. everything just fits.

My only comments is that there is scope to add more detail to the gear bays.. I started on the nose bay, added 4 wires and then decided I couldn't be bothered, and painting the cockpit is tedious. Thankfully Furball are doing decals which I'm definitely going to buy. I like decals over raised detail for cockpits  in this scale. I reckon it's really effective and quick. 

This is going to be good. 

Just putting it out there that the Fightertown Decals F-14A/B/D Data and Weapons sheet has front instrument panel Decals if you don't want to wait. I didn't do the sides though. But the sheet is about to need a reprint so I may include that on the next round 

brian

30 minutes ago, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

This is going to be good. 

Just putting it out there that the Fightertown Decals F-14A/B/D Data and Weapons sheet has front instrument panel Decals if you don't want to wait. I didn't do the sides though. But the sheet is about to need a reprint so I may include that on the next round 

brian

HI Brian

Thanks for the tip, I've probaly got that sheet somewhere. I really shoudf have checked :D  but I've already painted them this time round.

I would suggest you do the side consoles on any future re issue. That is where the time was spent (and my work was rubbish)  To be honest I wouldn't buy a sheet without the side consoles ( the CB panels on the sidewalls/rear bulkheads wouldn't be a game breaker though, I'm not sure if they could be done in decals)  . 

Cockpit painting. Detail is as nice as you'll probably get in plastic. For me it's good enough that I'll never consider a resin cockpit (unless it was a exact replacement for the kit parts).

What I would like for in my next build is decals for the side consoles and instrument panel. I really like decals over raised detail in this scale. Hasegawa do it well some of their kits.

Painting this was about 3 hours of what became tedious work.  Tamiya's instructions are good showing what colour goes where, but it just takes time.

I airbrushed everything Gunze FS36270 for the base grey as IMHO FS36321 always looks to dark in this scale. The black consoles are brush painted Vallejo Black/grey and the other details were picked out with various Vallejo acrylics. 

F-14_A-03.jpg

All that said the angle of the side consoles means a lot of the detail is hidden (another reason I doubt I'd ever bother with a resin pit)

F-14_A-04.jpg

Edited by a4s4eva

All the major sub assemblies are done. I couldn't resist sticking the major bits together (no glue) to see how they fit... The only issue may be slight gaps under the tail fins, but I haven't confirmed there are sprue attachments still requiring clean up. The main fuselage to nose piece fit is absolutely perfect. 

The multi part missiles are pretty good but will need a tiny bit of filler on the seam lines.

F-14_A-05.jpg

The canvas covers for the front instrument shroud looked a bit plain and non canvas like. To make it more canvas like I applied a piece of tissue paper over the shroud and used MEK to "melt" it onto the plastic. The back one looks better but I was happy with the effect so I did the same on the back. I then painted it, applied a dark oil wash and then dry bushed it. Not perfect but good enough for me.

F-14_A-06.jpg

I also had a go at the exhausts. I used the "David Aungst" fix for these.. Rather than explain about it, read it here. To be honest I'm not sure it's worth the effort as mot much can be seen . I painted the outside of exhausts with various shades of Alclad . The detail on these is pretty good but I'd be interested to see resin ones, that said they'd have to be a drop fit replacement for me to be interested. 

F-14_A-07.jpg

Edited by a4s4eva
On ‎18‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 11:14 AM, dsahling said:

I like the work with the canvas covers, what does "MEK" stand for and where do you acquire and how do you use it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butanone

You could use model glue or acetone to do the same, anything that melts the plastic slightly.  MEK is used a bit in the aerospace industry as a cleaner.

I often use it as model glue  (because that what is in a lot of them).  That said I've found there are differences with some model glues. I'm currently using deluxe materials plastic weld and find it better than MEK.

Edited by a4s4eva
1 hour ago, a4s4eva said:

I'm currently using delcume material plastic weld and find it better than MEK.

Whazzat? Google was not my friend this time...

• 2 weeks later...

Now the 109 is put to bed I got some time painting the F-14.. I know "black basing" is all the rage at the moment  but I don't like adding extra paint if I don't need to, especially as the detail on this kit is pretty fine. Plus, because the fit is so good, and joins are on panel lines it really doesn't need priming.

So, as I've done for ages I add some random dark splotches all over the kit with extra dark sea grey. Then I applied the light gull grey (Mr Color) on the upper surfaces. Most of the darker grey disappeared (should have used a darker grey) , oh well. 

Because I couldn't be bothered trying to accurately mark out the wavy demarcation line between the grey and white  I  scanned the instructions, enlarged them to the kit size, printed them on plain paper then cut out them out. I then stuck these to the model using a few bits of rolled up tape to stand them off a bit so I don't get a sharp line.  Good enough but I've used a white bottle of white (Mr Color 316 FS17875) on this kit so far !

F-14_A-08.jpg

Nice finger print eh :D

F-14_A-10.jpg

Next I masked out the black (Tamiya NATO Black) and sprayed that. I added a few blotches of grey grey to break this up a bit.

F-14_A-09.jpg

A few more little bits of painting, walkways, gun area and we're ready for decals. :D Maybe I'll do some of them at the NSW Model show next Sunday

Edited by a4s4eva