Good idea of placing a finger print on your model so that it can be positively identified if it is ever stolen from a contest or such.  I do it on almost all of mine.  ; )

Geoff M

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while since I updated this but I've been working on this . I ran into a potential fit problem with the vertical fin. 

F-14_A-11.jpg

I asked around and apparently  there is a little gap here but this looked way to big. I did notice a bit of left over sprue on the mating surfaces so when I trimmed that off it did sit a bit better.I did run a tiny bit of filler in there later on in the build because I wasn't completely happy with how it looked.

The cleverness of how Tamiya engineered this continued to amaze me. When gluing the front fuselage to the rear fuselage you just stick some slow setting glue, I used Tamiya with the white top, on the rear part of the front fuselage and slide it in and hold. No need to apply glue along the panel lines.

F-14_A-12.jpg

Also the front phoenix pallet locks into the front fuselage as well as into the rear fuselage and locks the front part to the rear part. And to glue the phoenix pallets down there is a flat piece running along the centre of the inside of pallet. Again some slow setting glue on there and push into the locking holes, no need to try and apply glue on the seem between the pallet and fuselage. I should have taken photos but I was having to much fun sticking it together :D

F-14_A-13.jpg

Although I used gloss paints I gave it a light coat of Gaianotes gloss before applying the Furball decals. Printed by Cartograph you know they will be great to use. 

F-14_A-14.jpg

F-14_A-15.jpg

F-14_A-16.jpg

I did use a few of the Tamiya decals for the Phoenix pallets, drop tank racks and missiles. These also performed really well. Whilst the Furball decals are just printed nicer I'd have no issues using the rest of the kit decals if I wanted to do one of those schemes

F-14_A-17.jpg

F-14_A-18.jpg

Once all the decals were down I gave them a sealing coat of Gaianotes gloss, followed by a bit of random weathering with the airbrush. 

Once I was happy I gave it a final coat of Mr Color Semi Gloss. I know the actual aircraft were finished gloss but IMHO high gloss finishes don't look right on aircraft models

Edited by a4s4eva
On 4/13/2017 at 8:00 PM, tomthegrom said:

This is going to be great. One of the best side effects of the Taimya tomcat is I have seen a lot of people build the VF-41 jet with the original big spade markings. I used to hardly ever see them on models or in photos. One of the best looking F-14s in my opinion and I am like you, I normally prefer late A's and B's.

That was probably because building the Hasegawa kit was such an ordeal, in order to get it to the painting stage.

Agreed on VF-41. Both the Tomcat and the F-4 look awesome with the big black spade.

-d-