Canada 150 Group Build- July1 2017- Jan 1 2018  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Would you paticipate in a Canada 150 Group build?

• Yes
    • No

Considering, as far as I can tell, there are no new GB in the pipeline, and it is Canada's 150 Birthday this year, and Canada Day is on July 1, how much interest is there for a Canada 150 Group Build.

It would start July 1 2017, and end Jan 1, 2018.

It would encompass: 

- Both Military and Civilian, any time frame

-Anything flown by a Canadian pilot , despite national markings ( exchange pilot, dual citizen, etc)

-Anything flown by a Canadian company or Canadian military group

-Anything built by a Canadian company but flown under another national flag (Canadiar, CCF, Canadian Vickers, Fleet, Avro Canada, Bombarider, deHaviland Canada Etc...)

I am throwing my hat in as a moderator, but another one would be a huge help.

I will throw 2 or 3 items from my stash in as prizes..details to follow.

Sean

come on peoples..4 down 21 to go..think of all the cool planes we can build!

and for our American Friends, Vickers built Catalina's were used by the USAF and CCF built Helldivers flew with the USN...just saying...even the stars and bars can get some love in this GB.

Sean

it's a great idea, and i'll join in for sure! i've miss the "on canadian wings" group build years ago, and i won't miss that one!

might be the opportunity for me to do the "Chicken one" voodoo....or tackle the new Kinetic CF-188 i have in my stash...

Ahhhhh...........yeah.

Have 3 Hornets, for me. Doing 9 models right now that would fit this GB!!!!!! But they are commission builds so they won't wait.

Almost ALWAYS have something being built or soon to be built hat would work for this idea!

I'll give this a go. My problem would be to actually choose a kit from the 150+ that I have that would fit this. Should I do my Burgess-Dunne vacuform, the first military aircraft that Canada bought or something more current? Maybe I'll have to do a poll closer to the date....... 

P.S. Americans also flew Norsemans and CCF built Texans plus good old Beavers and Caribous plus some Canadian built Sabres flew with USAF markings in Korea and we've certainly had a number of U.S. exchange pilots flying with Canadian squadrons so lots of choice here.... 

Edited by RCAFFAN
2 hours ago, RCAFFAN said:

I'll give this a go. My problem would be to actually choose a kit from the 150+ that I have that would fit this. Should I do my Burgess-Dunne vacuform, the first military aircraft that Canada bought or something more current? Maybe I'll have to do a poll closer to the date....... 

P.S. Americans also flew Norsemans and CCF built Texans plus good old Beavers and Caribous plus some Canadian built Sabres flew with USAF markings in Korea and we've certainly had a number of U.S. exchange pilots flying with Canadian squadrons so lots of choice here.... 

build all of them....ALL OF THEM!!!!

1 a day and you can polish them all off before the end of the year :rolleyes:

Sean

Edited by martin_sam_2000

I'll have a go. F9F-5 Panther flown by RCN Lt. Joseph MacBrien, an exchange pilot,

aboard the USS Oriskany. Here he is landing his VF-781 Panther on the Oriskany deck

He received the U.S. DFC for a combat mission he led in February 1953.---John

33258213361_e799520221_o.jpgLt. Joseph J. MacBrien, (RCN) Exchange pilot, serving with fighter sqdn. 781, USN, aboard USS ORISKANY (CVA-34) off coast of Korea.  As he touches down, tail hook of F9F Panther jet engages an arresting wire and smoke comes from tires due to remendous fri by jvandeu53, on Flickr

Edited by john53

Three more votes...almost there..Can you tell i am excited for this GB!!

28 minutes ago, Flyboyf18 said:

Yeah maybe, but not a pilot - a navigator. :rolleyes:

How many flights do you need? Is there a minimum # of hours, or hour?

I would say that the crew member would have to have been assigned to that aircraft. Not just a one off joy flight. An RCAF exchange pilot assigned to Mirage 2000's ( I know of a pilot who was) would qualify. An RCAF mechanic who got a ride in an RAF Herc...doesn't count.

For example, I know a Test pilot who was part of the fly-off for the original CF-188 purchase and he flew a number of different fighters as part of that job (F-16, F-18, F-14, Mirage, Tornado....). as long as you can provide exact aircraft ID's, they would all count. 

Sean