Kinetic F-86F-40 Nato Sabre Question

What are the camo/underside colors for this aircraft?  The decal placement and color guide instructions

are totally unreadable.  Going to have fun trying to do the small stencils.

SA400001_zpswzgeilzw.jpg

SA400002_zpsovcmupme.jpg

40 minutes ago, skyhawk174 said:

From my references it is supposed to be RAL 7012 for the underside which is Bassalt Grey. If you can find it Testors has it as no. 1988 Euro 1 Gray

Got both of those.  What about the topside camo colors?  

Thanks for the feedback.

1 hour ago, Spectre711 said:

Shouldn't the underside be RAL 7001 Silbergrau and the upper be RAL 6014 Gelboliv & RAL 7012 Basaultgrau?  Testors has Nato Green thats a good match for the 6014.

That's what I finally came up with and I have all 3 colors in the XtraColor line.  Believe I am

good to go.  Thanks for the info.

:cheers:

Jerry

1 hour ago, Spectre711 said:

What are you doing in the wheel wells and on the landing gear?  My ESCI kit calls for all silver.

As these were Canadair Sabre 6's, the main gear bays natural metal.  The recesses for the brake packs / hubs in the main gear bays bays and the nose gear bay were interior green.  Inside of all gear doors were silver.

2 hours ago, Spectre711 said:

Shouldn't the underside be RAL 7001 Silbergrau and the upper be RAL 6014 Gelboliv & RAL 7012 Basaultgrau?  Testors has Nato Green thats a good match for the 6014.

Yeah after I posted my answer I thought it was strange. I was using the Revell Germany instructions for the 1/48 kit. I thought it was silver on the underside too.

1 hour ago, skyhawk174 said:

Yeah after I posted my answer I thought it was strange. I was using the Revell Germany instructions for the 1/48 kit. I thought it was silver on the underside too.

RAL 7001 Silbergrau is a shade of grey, it is not silver

Tony

There seems to be some confusion about the bottom colors.

RAL 7001 Silbergrau is a grey color, while RAL 9006 is a very dull aluminum. With the F-104, the paint was changed from 7001 to 9006, hence the confusion.

Edited by Lancer512

Hmm this whole discussion has jogged my memory. I actually have a two page fold out with actual colour chips. There were several in the series and I have one for the West German Luftwaffe. That is to tell you how old it is. To be honest I do not know who put it out but I will try and find it in my reference library and see what is what.

I am in full agreement on what others have said about the three colours for this German scheme. Now it also seems that I am now itching to start my German Sabre but in 1/48th of course.