10 minutes ago, midnightprowler said:

Haven't watched a Star Wars movie since Return of The Jedi was in the theaters.

You should watch "Rogue One" , it's more like a war film than a Star Wars film.

If we're honest with ourselves, even the original movies weren't all that great. But that doesn't matter. The emotional attachment we have to these movies transcends any negative views. I loved seeing Episode 7 in the theater, not because it was a particularly good movie, but because it reawakened (did you see what I just did?) all of those dormant childhood memories, which came rushing back at the first strains of the opening song. It's a feeling that I treasure, especially as I get older. I'm sure E8 will be the same way. I will say that Rogue One has held up to multiple viewings. What made Star Wars special was that nothing had ever been done like it before. It was ground breaking, and to a 7 year old kid, it was magic! In today's tech driven world, a movie would be hard-pressed to capture that magic ever again, because it's become the norm.

Edited by Darren Roberts
14 hours ago, SBARC said:

Seems interesting.

Wow...not until Christmas?  :crying:

Seriously?  Back in my day, we had to wait THREE YEARS between Star Wars movies.  And we didn't have no gol-darned fancy-shmancy "interweb" to watch trailers.  We had to settle for occaisional unpredictable TV commercials and Starlog magazine, and only got to see the actual trailers in an actual theater.  Kids..sheesh.  :rolleyes:

"Last Jedi" does look interesting.  Like others, I was a little lukewarm (see what I did there) about "Awakens."  It was OK, but it felt too much like they'd simply recycled the plot of "New Hope."  I realize that for a re-boot/sequel like this, it's sometimes necessary to ground it by going back to the original source material.  I am hoping that "Last Jedi" takes the franchise in a new direction, and isn't simply "the First Order Strikes Back."

I picked up "Rogue One" last weekend, and have already watched it several times..I gotta say, it really holds up on multiple viewings.  The only complaints I've heard are that it's "too slow" in the middle.  I didn't get that impression at all.  It slowed down just enough to allow some actual character development, rather than just blasting through a series of loosely connected action sequences.  I understand Lucas never liked "Empire," because the director he hired made a movie that contained too much of that boring grown-up stuff like fleshing out the characters and building an actual story.

SN

Edited by Steve N
3 hours ago, Steve N said:

Seriously?  Back in my day, we had to wait THREE YEARS between Star Wars movies.  And we didn't have no gol-darned fancy-shmancy "interweb" to watch trailers.  We had to settle for occaisional unpredictable TV commercials and Starlog magazine, and only got to see the actual trailers in an actual theater.  Kids..sheesh.  :rolleyes:

(good stuff snipped)

SN

oh grampa....you don't understand.....I want it now!!!  :rofl:

8 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

If we're honest with ourselves, even the original movies weren't all that great. But that doesn't matter. The emotional attachment we have to these movies transcends any negative views. I loved seeing Episode 7 in the theater, not because it was a particularly good movie, but because it reawakened (did you what I just did?) all of those dormant childhood memories, which came rushing back at the first strains of the opening song. It's a feeling that I treasure, especially as I get older. I'm sure E8 will be the same way. I will say that Rogue One has held up to multiple viewings. What made Star Wars special was that nothing had ever been done like it before. It was ground breaking, and to a 7 year old kid, it was magic! In today's tech driven world, a movie would be hard-pressed to capture that magic ever again, because it's become the norm.

Empire still holds up 

12 hours ago, TaiidanTomcat said:

Empire still holds up 

and it's still my all time favorite movie. (maybe not the "all time greatest movie ever"...but certainly the most pleasurable for me (that, and "le dinner de con" that i can't get tired of))

When I was a kid of course Empire was the "most boring" but as I got older and understood it, it's still incredible. Most importantly it gave "weight" to star wars it made it a true saga instead of a series of action popcorn flicks

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a pretty big SW fan so I'm looking forward to it. I have liked what's been done so far. TFA got my then 7 year old Son into SW and Rogue One was a nice change of pace from the usual SW movies. Rebels is a great animated series and there's been rumors of a Rogue One tie-in with Rebels at some point. New model kits have been/will be released, the Vader comic series was great...I'd say the franchise is pretty healthy. Its a great time to be a SW fan!

Cheers!

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 0:30 AM, Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy said:

I can wait. Was not at all impressed with 7.

Do you mean the Star Wars 1-6 recap brought to you by JJ Abrams?

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 8:42 PM, phantom said:

Nice trailer. Now, everyone go build a STAR TREK model and join the current group build.

Resistance is futile.

Do you mean like this?

SS856656_zpszsvgbura.jpg

SS856654_zpssixanyzk.jpg

SS856663_zpsbv8r9cld.jpg

SS856664_zpsb7domw06.jpg

SS856659_zpscubd1vgp.jpg

SS856660_zps6ihh2pk1.jpg

SS856661_zpsr37qxx3e.jpg

SS856667_zpssnrlku85.jpg