Hi all guys,as probably some of you noted,I've just finished my AV-8B ( some pics in the display case in the next days),so is time to move to the next build in the hope to improve my finished model/x year ratio,considerably dropped in the last couple of year to 1-2 models...

And is time to return to my beloved IDF/AF.

The model is the Revell Mystére,as the title said;I know that Azure produced a better kit,but I've bought this little bird some years ago and I hate waste a model and also like prove to myself how much I can do with my (limited) skills,so move on to the pics,first the cutomary box,AM,ref,ecc...

c7AoRb.jpg

The only real AMs stuff for this buil are the resin fuel tanks from L'Arsenal ...

TCPXZB.jpg

...and the decals,with the double choice of the Isradecals and  DP Casper sheets

BQ6u5d.jpg

My primary reference is the Israstudio book,plus the various ( and some very good ) walkaround on the net.

TV4vUU.jpg

Like many of my build,this one for sure will benefit from some parts scratched and some replaced by somethings from my spare box.

For example look at the landing gears...

PTKZlp.jpg

oCpteu.jpg

Obviously they need to be replaced.So I sorted out of my stash some wheels,the resin one is left over from my recent Harrier and is pretty close to the real one,the other two,well,I really don't remember from whic kit are...

Almost surely I will re-do all three landing legs as are truly bad.

rWIpRH.jpg

End of the introduction.

Now,in reality some time ago,during one of my last vacations,I rescribed both this kit and the Airfix SMB2,so that when ready to start,the build will need only to be assembled.

But this was the basic idea;in fact,after collecting more references,my first recribing job,based on the kit one,need to be modified,so  sctually you can see in the pics an "half" job,with some panel rescribed and other filled or already sanded.

rTc6mP.jpg

Look what I mean,the cannon opening and some lines are still filled with melt plastic,others are done.

Oi5Iwp.jpg

Y2NMfE.jpg

dwjmPO.jpg

But two of the key areas that need an extensive work are the air intake with is duct and the cockpit,and for reflection,a new NLG bay.

I "demolished" the pre-existent wheel bay on the nose that will be replaced with a new one;in this way I can realize the air duct out of 0,13" plasticard.

Brdw2G.jpg

For the latter,I've cut the parts that will be glued to the inner side of the fuselage,and also the rear pit bulkhead and the basic shape of the wheel bay.

The next step will be the remaining parts for the duct,which form also the pit sidewalls,and the pit itself.

ZNGhGj.jpg

In order to do somethings of more fulfilling,I scratched the wing pylons ( the bigger ones are the inner and was realized before discover the resin tanks with their integral's) and the ejection seat.

385L0K.jpg

TIUaf9.jpg

For the seat,I need to slightly change the headrest,but I'm quite happy with the result.

And this's the current state of the work,feel free to comment guys;and in particular if someone have more ref,as for example the exact position of the wing pylons ( especally the outer pair),please feel free to post and contact me at any time!

Thanks all,

Gianni

Thanks mate!

Daily,quick update:I defined the final shape of the NLG bay:honestly will be a little bit longer,but about half of the lenght are covered by the forward LG door and also I'm afraid that if more long can interfere with the air duct,but I'm quite happy as turned out,so I started add some details.

wg0jAG.jpg

Next I glued the first part of the air intake duct.

IMfdfF.jpg

And created the bulkhead in order to start scratch the pit.

4jtonN.jpg

Started to work for the remaining parts of the air duct;still doubt if made it out of two part glued to the central splitter or ,as showed in the image,out of a single plasticard strip glued around the splitter,that also look a bit thin.

ypzuJ4.jpg

The spine will be slightly sanded to accomodate the canopy in open position and the red part in the photo removed to match the real one.

ioNCIc.jpg

Finally,I rescribed the panels in the fin area.

xaMANu.jpg

And that's all,thanks for stop by.

Gianni

Hi all gents,

as said in the previous post,some pics of my 'lil progress.

I passed the days since my last update principally working in the pit area.

I quite glad of the result but I've still problem find pics,good pics,of the rear bulkhead.

I've some pics showing very few details,so any help will be more than appreciated!

But now the photos;first the new cannons muzzles obtained with .013 plasticard sanded down after glued in place.Also note the small opening between the starboard cannon muzzle and the wingroot.

HmxeM2.jpg

And the pit bulkhead with the detail I've recognized from the pics.In one pics is visible some kind of "cylinder" below the left box,but I need confirm before continue the work.

FYURK6.jpg

And the cockpit.

Here I've used for the consoles  those of a Fujimi A-4,modified in accordance to the ref pics.Other details was obtained from spare PEs,plasticard,stretched sprue and Archer rivets.

GLSlEj.jpg

Naturally I'll add more details,in the throttle area alone I need to place at least 2 or 3 levers,plus the throttle obviously.

Ry24hg.jpg

And the IP;I confess guys that I'm quite proud of how it turned out.

There all is plasticard,punch & die and again Archer rivets for the buttons.

The IP is slightly dirt as I put some Tamiya panel wash in order for the details to pop out.

Still miss the gunsight assemble.

xJbq70.jpg

And finally the wheels of the MLG.

I modified both faces of the hub,look at the image at the start of the page, and added the tyres details ( quite simple also in the real plane) with .013 plasticard sanded down to thin a little bit the central strip of the wheel.

av88dy.jpg

IDJRN1.jpg

And that's all for now.

And a small request for help:before starting the job on the canopy' rear frames ( need to be enlarged),someone have a spare Azure or ( a very far hope,in reality) Aeroclub vacu canopy to replace the kit one?

Like always feel free to comment friends.

Thanks all for stop by,

Gianni

• 4 weeks later...

Hi gents,

so much time passed since my last post,but I made some progress.

The cockpt is finished;the whole assembly was painted with Tamiya Nato Black ( as for me the normal black is a bit too "hard" in this scale),with the highlight in Panzer Grey and the shadow with a bit of oil black.Next I scavenged my stash searching some decals for the various gauges of the IP.All the small details was handpainted with Vallejo acrilics.

zyN4DJ.jpg

The rear bulkhead;I'm not completely glad of the details in this area,but this is all I could extrapolate from my reference.Anyway with the seat in position all the visible details will be the ones in the upper section.

SKGG7e.jpg

And at this point I added the scratched throttle and the small levers on the port console

fWSWS9.jpg

I noted just before close the fuselage that there's more details on the starboard sidewall which will be added.

In the pics the scratched details before and after painting.

KiMEJj.jpg

Before glue the half-fuselage the kit nozzle was replaced with a Quickboost one designed for early A-4s,not perfect but way better of the original.

Rh3nHc.jpg

At this point,the fuselage was closed.This allowed me to start add details to the IP cover,I need to add the gunsight glass and the eyelids-

umJov0.jpg

I've already glued the nose...

Bqy3Qg.jpg

...and scratched new landing gears legs.

Wb23BQ.jpg

And that's all for now.

Like always my friends feel free to comment and thanks for watching.

Happy modellingto all,

Gianni

• 3 weeks later...

Good all people.

I made some progress with my model.

For the most,I spent tha time since the last update to obtain a seamless air intake but also working on the wings,which are glued in position,so now start to look as an airplane!

t2trs9.jpg

qQHLN1.jpgù

Note in the belly shot that I've added the cannons bulge of the spent shell casings' extractors.

wPNZUb.jpg

One of the area at which I devoted some time was the Karman's in order to obtain a smooth transition.

3KGlbv.jpg

And finally,I've added the nav light.

4jbyX3.jpg

And that's all for now.

Currently I'm working on the canopy rear frame that need to be lenghtened and in finishig the air intake.

Like always thanks for watching,

Gianni

• 3 months later...
On 6/11/2017 at 5:46 AM, kurnass77 said:

Currently I'm working on the canopy rear frame ... .

Gianni,

Hello from long ago. I really admire this build so far ... outstanding details. Did you finish????

Gene K

Thanks for the interest guys;I'm currently kept busy with a very tall statue for a collector,is a month that I'm working on the project now,maybe later I'll post some pics.

But I want return ASAP to my Mystere,so stay tuned.

P:S: I've modified the canopy,glued thr windshield and started add some rivets

Gianni

• 4 weeks later...

Good day all gents.

Finally I can post some pics,as many time passed since the last update.

But first let me explain why so much time passed.Just before the summer,I paint for a collector a statue from the manga/anime Berserk,depicting the principal character ( Guts or Gatsu,depending how traduced) in 1/6 scale IIRC.

i2ftDS.jpg

But the collector love so much the character and this statue in particular that with the help of a 3D printer service,triplicate the statue to a more huge dimension.

Now the added problem was that the cast was terrible as the surface of all parts was covered by rims as per working of the printer,so I spent more time to prepare the model that paint it

Also the magnification ruined some details,especially the hands armour,that I had resculpt.

GV66S6.jpg

gLRsj3.jpg

But yesterday,after more than two and half months,In've finished the job and delivered to the collector!

You can see the extra paint customization respect the other model,wanted by the collector

Just for comparison,the wooden base was made of the same block,and if for the smaller's one cube was enough,the taller one needed 16 wood cube...

PO5S2M.jpg

Buth now back to the Mystere.

I've painted the IP cover.

wMIBCn.jpg

I've added some internal details to the windshield

QGfb4V.jpg

The air duct was completed.

Actually,it is fully filled and sanded down,plus received some details,but the image is rather old.

9OZ5ll.jpg

Also,new landing gear doors was scratched out of PE trees and plasticard.

A76czW.jpg

At a certain point I decided to add some rivets,not on all surfaces,but at least the principal ones,in Azure fashion,so actually I rivetted the areas around the pit,the tail fin and the Karman.Now I will add some rivets to the various small panels

UxmVae.jpg

And now look this way.

0OHdMk.jpg

I hope to proceed more rapidly now,and last night I painted the bang seat to relax a bit after the statue job.

As always let me know your impressions,positive and negative.

Cheers,

Gianni

Edited by kurnass77

Hi all guys,

a quick update.

As said in the last post I started paint the bang seat,and now is finished.
I scavenged some PE belts from the spare box and repainted in blue,accordingly to the pics I've

GIzQhL.jpg

Not perfect.I know,but better of the kit solution...

Like always thanks for watching

Gianni

Good day all people!

I'm really close to the primer,but inevitably I discovered some details that will be added/changed.

First,I noticed that the rescribing job on the upper mid fuselage wasn't accurate,I need to add six small inspection panels (three on other side of the spine) completely differents in shape and position respect my first attempt.

So I filled the first ones with CA glue and rescribed all.

FMBnda.jpg

In some planes was present a plate in the fuselage-Karman joint,which I reproduced in plasticard.

zYDn8P.jpg

I've added a Master pitot tube.Master don't produce a specific pitot for the plane,the closest I managed to obtain came from the MiG-17 set ( with the bonus of use the other one for my future A-6,quite similar in shape).

zUuRvL.jpg

As previously said,the canopy rear frame was lenghtened;I'm quite happy with the result,but think to add another mm of plasticard to be correct.

ftyztT.jpg

Worked on the loadout.

The pylons of L'Arsenal tanks need the addition of a big trapezoidal panel on the forward section plus a small vents.

V96Gzw.jpg

The outer pylons are scratched out of plasticard.Also added the fuses to the bombs ( from a Revell Mirage IIRC).

5HIEot.jpg

So I think to be really ready for the primer this time,so stay tuned.

Like always thanks to stop by and feel free of comment!

Cheers,

Gianni

Edited by kurnass77
  • 4 weeks later...

Good day all guys.

Finally I was able to have some spare time and yesterday ,after some small touch-ups,applied the preshadow;so I'm now officially in the painting phase!

jN839J.jpg

USBegf.jpg

The canopy received some extra plasticard in order to lenght the rear frame,and I'm proud of how turned out,the best filling and sanding I ever done!

ETf8sr.jpg

So I can start soon paint the camo,for the first time I'll try the MRP colors,as look like if this brand is the only one with the correct RAL for the blue-brown IAF camouflage.
Probably,I'll shoot first some Alclad Aluminium for the area around the horizontal stabs and one of the fuel tanks.

As always,thanks for look and feel free to comment,some progress ASAP.

Cheers,

Gianni

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all my friends,

finally I've something to show.

I added the basic color to the model.

My first experience with the MRP colors is more than positive;worked extremely well and are already thinned for the airbrush.

I can't find the brown for the camo and reverted to my other beloved brand,Gunze.

So now the Mystere have the basic colors and a first layer of weathering on it.Like always for IAF subject,the better is to focus on a precise airframe as the Israeli planes had and have some small difference one from another;I choose Mystere 10,one of the French-built Mig killer and was lucky enough to have on the Schiffer book one color image of the plane at the end of the SDW showing with good effect some interesting weathering,especially in the pit area.
but now let talk the pics!

LfeOBw.jpg

KhGgG7.jpg

MZhizW.jpg

The grey was the first MRP color I ever used and work like a dream,with a beautiful satin finish.

BjPTSU.jpg

cxMuJX.jpg

LWPlbe.jpg

dXLDDK.jpg

On the pics is evident that the demarcation between the colors need some touch up ( I've already done...);next step the NMF area around the stabs and fuel tank and the black panel in the cannon muzzle area.

Like always feel free of comment.

I also take the opportunity to wish a Merry Xmas and Happy New Year to all my friends!

Gianni