• 2 weeks later...

Hi all guys,

despite the apparent lack of  interest,I'll continue to post my (slow) progress.

The model received,after the gloss,the panel wash;on the brown part,I mixed both Tamiya brown panel wash in order to obtain a medium tone.

And for the grey-blue a mix of artist oil of Payne grey and black.

bOJrDD.jpg

rNghjY.jpg

But the dark wash don't exalt me,or the panels,so I nee a little help from guys like Joel,or someone else,expert on WW2 Navy bird,as the close color to my blue was something like the camo used bt Hellcat,Wildcat,ecc...

m30trB.jpg

Better result on the belly

rqTV1J.jpg

And some work on the loadout:the 250 Kg bombs

W6PQV8.jpg

The fuel tanks;this's the camouflaged one.

W76Xuh.jpg

And the NMF one

WblTHj.jpg

Yesterday I've done some touch up at the camo,especially around the pit to match the image I use as reference,so after a complete dry,I will spray another layer of gloss and start with the decals.

As always thanks all for watching and feel free of comment!

Gianni

Amazing attention to detail, Gianni. I've built this kit before, and your work makes it really unrecognisable from the original Matchbox kit.

Can't wait to see it with decals on.

Hi all guys.

Today I managed to finish to apply the decals !

tKHQz3.jpg

WUNrhJ.jpg

v5wvca.jpg

I've a minor issue with the walkways decals,if you look closely is like if they are out of register.Is my first time that I've this problem with Isradecals,but anyway nothing that can't be solved with a pointy brush and a Vallejo acrilic.

Areu76.jpg

2eR5RZ.jpg

In other areas all worked very fine!

aY2Jgi.jpg

6kGjVV.jpg

And now,I've a small dilemma:Mystere #10 was a Mig-killer during the SDW but the image I use as reference,dated 12 June 1967 ( in the immediate end of hostilities) show clearly  the lack of the kill marking .

But otherwise,I really will apply the decal,but in this way I think of made a historycal "false",at least for the type of finishing I choose; to be slightly more precise,I added the weathering using the aforementioned photo,in successive timeframes the bird look more clean for a sure repaint,and the kill roundel,so now i really don't know if add or not the kill...

Any suggestion is more than welcomed,as any criticism.

Thanks for looking,

Gianni

Hi Gianni!

You've done some very nice work on such a kit. Great job, as usual ;).

Regarding Your marking choice I guess it depends on what You want to model. This jet during combat - no kill mark but more weathering, and live ordnance, or later during peacetime - with kill mark, but with less weathering and often without live ordnance.

I tend to go for an "operational" model. Pictured during combat operations, or at a time of some singinficant event - such as a mig kill mission or something like that. This usually means I have to go without the kill marks. But I can load it for bear :D

Since You've already weathered Your model as per referenced picture I guess adding the kill mark would probably be innaccurate. But than again, who's to say that the jet never wore such weathering at a later stage, when the kill mark was painted on?

Cheers!

Ehi Thad,

how are you?

Thanks for stop by and many thanks for your suggestion!

I came at the same conclusion,and decided to left the model without the kill roundel.

This the same idea that I keep in mind during My Kurnass build if you remember it.

In the meantime,yesterday I added some extra weathering and touch-ups,more in the next update!

Gianni

HI all people!

Aigore,thanks for your appreciation!

Some pics showing the added weathering as said in the previous post.

At this stage one of my goal was a balanced effect and replicate the effect showed in my ref image.

One of the more weathered area is the tail fin,where the orizontal stab pivoting,leaving some very evident signs.If at first can look a little overdone respect the general effect of the model,well,search some images and see how dirt this area can be!

Note also that I slightly toned down the Unit markings with drybrshed artist oil,as the azure look too bright,

7GErlM.jpg

QROLgw.jpg

And now the lower surfaces.

Here I used some Tamiya Smoke for effect like those behind the MLG bays and  the cannons,some artist oils for the various spot of dirt plus some base color used in random fashion here and there;also,I varied the panels wash to try obtain some difference between movable part ( landing gear doors) and all the other panels.

kfznHF.jpg

kEafFY.jpg

cizWlP.jpg

Finally the wings;here I've used the same tecnics/media of the belly,but also repainted in the camo' base color some panels,in the hope of simulate some replacement parts.

YXF8Ri.jpg

H70gYz.jpg

So now I can see the finish line,but the model need quite some step before can declare it finished.

After the satin coat ( yes satin,not matt,as the Israeli planes with this camos look quite shiny after all) I can paint some of the small detail left and only then procede with the final assembly.

As always thanks for watch,

Gianni

Edited by kurnass77

Hi all gents,

finally the Mystere its on his legs!

RQDtWu.jpg

uX7TiE.jpg

Honestly,at first the model look to me as if sits too high,but with only the addition of the gear doors ( not depicted in this session) changed the overall apparence.

I spent some times when scratched the landing gear legs,oleo struts and the bays,but now I'm quite happy with the result.

After a first dry fit however,the NLG needed to be lenghtned of about 1mm,after only 30 min of work all was solved...

OeAdRe.jpg

I also devoted a good part of my weathering effort around the cockpit area,as my ref image show some tasty effects ( again if someone interested,I can send him the photo via PM).

AN3K7F.jpg

Finally,after all this time under the Tamiya tape,when unmasked,the clear parts show some residue from the tape.

And this kind of problem ( with mi long building time) is why I don't use dipping the canopys in Future ;in fact, after using the three Tamiya Compound ( with Tamiya earstick for work only on the clear plastic and left untouched the frames) the windshield and canopy was as new.

All the canopy needed at this point was the seal,handpainted with Vallejo Deck Tan.

0Rb58R.jpg

Canopy close-up.

o6ZBCC.jpg

So I'm now at one step from the finish line!

Like always,thanks for stop by.

Cheers,

Gianni.

Hi all gents.

I continued working on the Mystere.Apart add the rod that link the landing gears to the respective doors,I redo the latter as the first ones had very few contact point and wasn't easy to place.For the new ones,I left more plasticard that I need to create a small tab to correctely glue all in position.

In the pics you can see the legs with the linking rods and few new details and finally the doors in place.

WJpcVf.jpg

Next,the new part rapresenting the radar rangefinder.

7otIId.jpg

I added the last detail of the pit.

Added the rearview mirror and repositioned the gunsight glass to a more correct position and the seat,of course!

xOgM1b.jpg

Next in the assembly sequence will be add the external stores; with the tanks no problem at all.

As said through the build,I choose to paint one in the camo colors ant the other in NMF as per one image in the Israbook showing Mystere 10 returning from a mission with the same loadout.

The pics of the NMF tanks show some very clean and shiny,others with various degree of dirt.I opted for a balanced effect .

HOS0Mc.jpg

1Kefbt.jpg

And now the first problem.
searching for detailed pics of a rod connecting tha bombs to the outer pylons,I noted that mine was way too shorts...but this my fault as I used as reference those of the Valom Ouragan.

To cut short the story I made new pylons,and actually are already painted in the camo grey (lower image).

In the upper pics the difference is very evident!

Zc0s6S.jpg

Hope to finish'em this week-end.

But the plane is virtually finished as all left to go in place are the outer pylons with the bombs ( that need  some touch-ups after the pylons rework) and look this way.

6MnHTH.jpg

Jugysi.jpg

YHqTrm.jpg

So now I'm very very close to finish it.

Like always thanks for watching.

Gianni

Thanks for your words aidy.

This's first time I've some issue with the Isradecals,normally work perfectly and the print is great.

But this was a really small problem after all,as said I solved all with a good brush and acrilics colors.

Gianni

Good day guys,

finally the Mystere is done!

First I'll show the new pylons complete of bombs.The insert show the rod that started the redo of the parts.

6Qxfx9.jpg

And the model itself.

oIbTTY.jpg

DOnJ88.jpg

iCjwhs.jpg

And that's all,some better ( hope) pics ASAP for the Display case,

Thanks all for watching,

Gianni

Fantastic work, Gianni. You really created a masterpiece from the old kit. It‘s always a pleasure to watch your WIP threads. Looking forward to seeing it in the Display Case.

Ciao,

Joerg