How long before sanding filler putties?

Hello, 

How long do I need to wait before I can safely start sanding the Tamiya filler or any other by the case, I do have Squadron, Mr. Putties and just late go The Perfect Plastic Putty.

Will appreciate your comments.

Thank you 

I do as much clean-up as I can with a cotton bud moistened with the appropriate solvent before sanding. I use Mr Thinner for Mr products and Tamiya, and water for Perfect Plastic or Vallejo. Haven't used Squadron for ages. As phantom noted, thinner putty jobs can be filed/sanded sooner, but I don't wait nearly as long as he except in for very deep cases. I wait 30m for normal cases before shaping with the cotton as this ensures the putty has set sufficiently. With care, you can avoid most sanding or filing.

I will sand and file for flat or convex surfaces when I need to get a good surface blend. My preferred implements are 2, 4, and 6 cut needle files. To be sure, complex (not developable) surfaces do need practice to use files, and I still sometimes resort to softer sanding sticks for final shaping in these cases.

I am a big believer in Tamiya putty. I am talking about the grey one and I believe is lacquer based. If you put it on in thin layers it can be sanded in a relatively short time. I know I have sanded my Tamiya putty with 30 minutes. The other think I make sure I do is ONLY sand wet. As I said use thin layers and you should not have any trouble.

A mix of CA and talc can make non-shrink sandable filler that cures in less than a minute and can be sanded immediately after.

I stopped buying putty after starting to use talc and CA, and in fact all my putty went in the bin a while back. If you have to do large fills or areas, either milliput, styrene stock or car epoxy fillers would be my recommendation

Hope this helps

Les

Edited by lesthegringo
Spelling
On 4/17/2017 at 0:00 AM, skyhawk174 said:

I am a big believer in Tamiya putty. I am talking about the grey one and I believe is lacquer based. If you put it on in thin layers it can be sanded in a relatively short time. I know I have sanded my Tamiya putty with 30 minutes. The other think I make sure I do is ONLY sand wet. As I said use thin layers and you should not have any trouble.

Same here Tamiya Putty, gray, then wet sand. The OP mentioned Perfect Putty, if that's the stuff I tried

you CAN'T wet sand it, it's water soluble and dissolves in water! I tossed that

but fast, some like it but I prefer to wash the dust away and down the drain, not

liking the idea of inhaling dust or using dust masks when not necessary.---John

stu

I use CA glue so immediately .....I do use perfect putty or Vallejo putty but only on stuff like wing joins or other join areas where its too hard to sand...those I add the putty and smooth it with a Q-tip....when I was using tamiya putty it took about 30 min for really thin applications and up to 2 houurs for thicker  coatings.