1/48 Revell H-19/S-55

Starting this project, a little late, but I hope to finish in time. The plan is to take a venerable H-19 molded in the 60's, and make it look a little less toy like!

She will be wearing the colors of a Spanish Navy S-55. There are several lumps of unrecognizable plastic on them trees. 

Opening shot...

H19-1.JPG

Starting with the flight deck and cargo compartment. The H-19 flight deck was accessible through the cargo compartment. The kit gives a solid flight deck floor, while it should have an open section under the seats allowing the flight crew to climb in from below. The reality is, there is no cargo compartment in the Revell kit, so, I have made a firewall, which will be detailed with ladders and the sound deadening material which covered the inside of these helicopters. Also made from plastic card is a cargo deck and rear bulk head. Following a lead from Swanny's Models, I cut away 11 mm of the flight deck floor, and removed the center console, which I will remake out of card.  

H19-3.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Moving on with the flight deck, and front bulkhead and crew ladders. I found that medical tape has a pretty good diamond pattern which I am using as the sound deadening. I'm trying to convince myself to open the cargo door, which means I'll have to scratch a cargo door. 

H-19 6.JPG

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
On 7/3/2017 at 5:27 PM, I-16 said:

Didn't make the completion date due to work related stuff. I'll keep slogging along on her and post in the helicopter forum!

Hi, I-16 I am very interested in following your build of this fantastic (and also very old model) Hellicopter that for some misterious reason did not have a new mold all these 30 or 40 years!... I have one in the shelf, waiting for me to be strong enough to pick it, as it has some serious problems, as the clear parts or all the missing ones, and seeing somebody with enough guts the build it, is a great help... are you going to post the rest of your build, or not?

We are all waiting for you to do it!