Having hobbies can be quite interesting, funny and odd

Ok, model building is usually a similar history track for most of us here. We likely started as kids or teens and based on an interest and fascination with aviation, notably military, past and present. I was pretty in with model building in my young to mid teens, then moving into young adulthood with its life growing issues fell out of it for many years. As a young teen I  mostly built  1/72 scale aircraft and 1/76 scale armor. As years passed by and money more plentiful I moved to 1/48scale aircraft and 1/24-1/25 scale cars. I read as many model magazines as I could and it was all fun and informative.

Time passed by and moving into my more mature adult years I found  I wanted to get back into modelling after a oh 10 year or so gap. I found building both 1/48 scale aircraft and 1/24-1/25scale cars to be a bit of a stress reliever. By now oh about  2000-2001 the internet made this hobby more detailed in terms of info and chatter on forums etc. I really  learned a lot and my modeling  got much better. No, not a master modeller but a competent one. I built many kits and enjoyed it all including the forums and websites.

This went on  for a good 10-11 years and then began to  sputter out. I out of the blue began to not build and finish many kits. Like a switch turned off. But in reality life, career/work, family and other interests  found their way back to my life, home theatre/ hi-fi audio notably analog audio, other technology and stuff  just kind of filled more of my time. From about 2013 until about today I did not finish one kit. Meh, kits sat on shelf waiting to be  built but never were started. I also had not much  space anymore for new builds. I hate/hated having to purge older, lesser well built kits to make new space. I take good quality photos of all my builds so I always have a historical record of builds though.

Anyways, not much thinking about building models until the other day (past Easter Weekend 2017). It was as if a switch turned back on in my mind and character. Lots of non-model building  projects mostly around the home and such  are  finished. Putting up a home theatre projector and a  DIY screen also with a new Rega P3 turntable well wrapped up some of my home theatre/hi-fi stuff. Then again models filled my mind but a whole new  thought process. Since I was an older teen and young adult, then after a gap of years until 2000 all I built were 1/48scale aircraft or 1/24-1/25 scale cars. But I have rediscovered 1/72 scale aircraft just this past weekend and  began looking at all the kits to choose from. So many cool choices and obviously more modestly priced in general. Add the fact that they take  up less space once built really got my model building juices flowing.  So reorganizing my rather dusty and unused  building room  and  looking for cool kits to buy I am all juiced up to kick start my  model building but now focused on 1/72 scale aircraft and maybe 1/76 scale armor along with a  few 1/24-1/25 scale car kits.

Well again it's odd how life can  keep one  from building any model kits for a few years and then BANG over the course of a weekend have one all shopping for kits to buy and start up building again.

Life can be funny at times.

Edited by Gordon Shumway