Ozmods/Scaledown Resin & Vac Canopies for F-111

Hey all - 

Anyone use the above items? 

I've heard the original Scaledown items are excellent. Well cast, good detail. However I'm hearing spotty reviews that the newer Ozmods casts of those items are pretty appalling - soft, bad molds perhaps? 

Also - has anyone tried to adapt the Squadon/Ozmods Vac Canopies to the Hobbyboss kit? Curious how that operation went... 

Any insight appreciated! 

-Anthony 

I can't answer on the resin items, however I did cut apart the squadron vac canopy with the intent of using it in conjunction with the kits opening doors.  I acquired the vac piece back when I thought I would build the Academy kit, though when I won the HB kit in a show raffle I knew it would be the one with its huge improvement in every category.    Now to your question:  my test fit of the Sq vac windscreen was encouraging, however for me the difference in appearance is so negligible that I will likely just use the kits windscreen as it did match up perfectly to where only a thin swipe of mr surfacer will close up the seam + I can use the Eduard mask set.  My main 'gripe' on the HB kit is the main wheel well, they did not pay attention to how the sidewalls/intakes look, if the Scaledown resin chunk to improve that area were not so astronomical in price I might be tempted (no way I will chance it).

Edited by metroman
typos

I've generally gotten an answer for the OzMods question - it's crap and "avoid it". Scaledown's items (which the Ozmods items are based on apparently) were excellent. They were cast in yellow-brown resin, while the OzMods ones are gray. That's the easiest way to tell. 

I have had a look at the Hobbyboss parts and I can't get over how many (and how large) the rivets are. Do you think this is an issue? I looked at photos of the real aircraft and the rivets are almost invisible in most cases. I feel like Academy almost has an advantage here. Regarding the windscreen - I haven't test fitted mine together so I can't comment on the kit piece, but I'm told it's too "bulbous" and doesn't carry the sleek appearance of the original. Can you post some photos if you're able to? I'd love to see a comparison. 

I just trimmed out the windscreen and held it to the fuselage, seemed workable yet not as good as the kit part fit-wise.   For me here's the thing: with the side doors open the windscreen 'issue' issue goes away with the angle broken up - problem solved.  Too many kits to build to worry about a few degrees like that for me.  Resin:  I forgot I did buy the SD Mk 82 AIRS waay back at a show in Atlanta like 15 yrs ago, I'll keep the bombs for something else and use the BRUs which do look a lot better than either kits styrene.   Pick up the GFactor intake plugs and you save an entire weekend not screwing with the intakes.  Cheers

G-Factor does Intake Plugs? I was under the impression they only did exhaust nozzles. 

Speaking of the canopy shape... I feel like that might be the way to go (posing it hatches up). 

Show off the details inside and also save yourself a shape headache. 

Might give a go with the vac canopy, who knows. Good to hear it's not "super far off" in terms of fit. 

-Anthony 

There is a build at HS of the HB F-111C with the squadron vac canopy.

Looks a heap better.

Always disliked the overly long nose gear leg(its not just the strut) of the Academy kit which made its front end look pooched.

It has the step where yhe front canopy sits as well. 

Think it was Mick Evans who didit..

Found it

http://www.hyperscale.com/2010/features/f111c48me_1.htm

Edited by dehowie