Hi,
I like Focke Wulf prototypes.

I try to build The FW 190 V-18 with the characteristic exhaustdriven turbosupercharger.
To make things a little easier this time I used Newtool Dora kit from Revell.
The original V18 U1/2 at last ended up (after an accident) as one of the prototypes for the TA 152H.

In a Model art publication I found these pics

v18zussc.jpg

v18_2dqsav.jpg

v18_3jfs9g.jpg

First I cut off the enlogating part (Tonne)of the Dora tail. (I used the large tail of the Revell  Dora) and cemented it back o the fuselge. The turbocharger adapter for the Jumo-engine at the right side had to go. The V-18 got a Daimler engine which had the loader on the left side.

The Dora cowl cover over the machine guns was replaced by the old A6/8 Hsaegawa part. With a little modification it fitted satisfactorily. Much easier than converting the Dora part. Two bumps on the new cowling and a new one on the right side for the inlet manifold of the DB 603. were fitted.

fw190v18_0069pslk.jpg

fw190v18_005bns7r.jpg

The completed cockpit and a Jumo 213 engine changed to DB 603 standards were the next parts made ready.

fw190v18_0025nsau.jpg

Edited by Waldmann

fw190v18_008v1sdm.jpg

I ran out of quarterscale P47 cowls so I had to look for ozher spareparts to build the oilcooler. There was an old Ju 88 from
Lindber, no one wants to build even when forced by a gun! But the 88 tail part delivered the desired basic structure for the cooler.

fw190v18_009e2slp.jpg

The oilcooler is finished. Only some fine sanding will be needed. The coolingflaps of the cooler are from a beer can. We have a nice hobby!
The next step will be the wings because the supercharger and its piping can only be fitted when the wings are in place.

fw190v18_010qnsx9.jpg

Edited by Waldmann

A coat of primer is applied to show flaws.

fw190v18_011j2s9j.jpg

fw190v18_0129wsng.jpg

fw190v18_013dss82.jpg

The lower wing is fitted. The heat shields for the exaust tubes are fitted to the sides of the fuselage.

fw190v18_014x7s86.jpg

The front of the Supercharger-cooler is cemented in place. It is made from the Dora  plug in for the enlogated tail).

Now I try to build a supercharger housing from an old Airfix "Black Widow" cockpit some sheet plastic and plumper piping.

fw190v18_0154ps2i.jpg

Edited by Waldmann

I adopted the "Black Widow" cockpit of the 1:72nd scale Airfix for my Torbocharger housing. Not much is left of it after loads of putty and heavy sanding:

fw190v18_01627sni.jpg

fw190v18_0174isnr.jpg

The need for some more putty and fine sanding is obvious.

fw190v18_018idsvs.jpg

fw190v18_019nss4d.jpg

Edited by Waldmann
  • 2 weeks later...

Had a real fight with the exhausts. Wife, daughter and dog took cover and worst of all my Beer suplies ran out. In earnest I had missed to look for solutions in advance. At last I got them done with an appropirate piece of plastic tube formed t by inserting a copper flex. .  I hope this was the last great problem in building the V-18. By the side the real V-18 U2 had an accident late in 1944 and was reconstructed as one of the TA 152 H prototypes with large wooden tail and a Jumo 213 E enginel.

fw190v18_0246fs15.jpg

fw190v18_025besur.jpg

fw190v18_028v0sgi.jpg

fw190v18_029y5scg.jpg

fw190v18_030zyskh.jpg

fw190v18_031i9swr.jpg

Edited by Waldmann

I found a  P51-B spinner (old Revell kit) and reworked it to look like the FW-spinner. The cowl flaps are made of alu-sheet from the a fast food Wok. At last came the heat guards on the wing roots.

2dj8f9j.jpg

a coat of primer will show any need for further sanding and rescribing.

33dw3vc.jpg

2m4dtl2.jpg

e050ec.jpg

o8b5he.jpg

That's the final shape of the spinner. The props were made from old FW 190 Hasegawa stuff.
I cemented plastic card on the backside of each prop to broafen it and sanded them to shape. The prop bosses are made of aluminium tubing.

2eusld5.jpg

Tthe provisional colour shows more sanding is needed on the props!

bgydsk.jpg

32zq71s.jpg

2ccmfrk.jpg

• 1 month later...

I painted the V-18 RLM-02. A darker shade than usual.

34yscpk.jpg

The large bare metal part beneath the cockpit is questionable. I changed this later.

kcez4n.jpg

2ika26s.jpg

The V18 was a  long living prototype which went from the U1 to the U2 version. Don't know the difference between the two. Finally after an accident it got full camouflage,  a Jumo engine and ended up being one of the TA-152 H prototypes. So you can color it at will. There exists a pic of the ac still carrying  the original Call-letters. (Close-Up 24 monogram)

a5krb8.jpg

29g24wx.jpg

2ujqo10.jpg

1409lvq.jpg

Edited by Waldmann
  • 2 weeks later...

The canopy is finished with self-adhesive metalfoil as are the two panels on the cowl.

fw190v18_63qaj89.jpg

fw190v18_64qajw9.jpg

Had some difficulties in applying the metalfoil over the hunp on the left side. It looks worst in the pic than in reallity - I hope so.

fw190v18_650rj75.jpg

What's left to do is applying the undercarriage and the antenas.

fw190v18_66y9k0u.jpg

• 1 month later...