I use lead fishing weight that comes in a coil. I just cut off a piece the length I need, hammer it into shape if necessary and slide it into the nose area and then use plasticine to hold it into place which also prevents it rattling around. This way you only have one piece instead of several  tiny little bearing sized pieces that could come loose. 

small lead fishing sinkers, or stray nuts &/or bolts (found lying around the workshop), occasionally lengths of coat-hanger wire (sometimes easily inserted into a closed fuselage).

Held in-place by superglue or scratch-built bulkheads or lengths of sprue.

George, out.......................

I have used about everything I could find for weight (bb's, cut up wheel weights, coins etc). Then about a dozen or so years ago, I was in the process of rebuilding a set of elevators for a 1 to 1 airplane and needed to balance them.  This led to the purchase of a 25 lb bag of #12 buckshot to aid in that enterprise and once it was done, I started using that buckshot in the nose of my models.  I use epoxy, CA and Elmers glue to secure it.  Still have about 2 1/2 to three lbs left.