my wish-an accurate F-111F in 1/48

4 hours ago, DarkKnight said:

would love to build an accurate Gulf War tank plinker or Operation Eldorado Canyon F-111F in 1/48, the academy kit is too old school  I hope to someday have a modern kit of this

several of us begged AMK to look into the F111 series

gary

1 hour ago, Skull Leader said:

Using the Academy kit and some aftermarket, it's totally possible to build an accurate F-111F (unless I've missed something)

But I get it... everyone wants an updated kit of their favorites.

I have a verlinden cockpit set and some exhausts, but i think an intake is needed too

3 hours ago, DarkKnight said:

I have a verlinden cockpit set and some exhausts, but i think an intake is needed too

Ozmolds make just about everything you need.

3 hours ago, DarkKnight said:

yeah, the triple plow II intakes provided in the kit are very poorly appointed. D-mold out of Russia makes great TPII intakes. (if you can catch them in stock)

I whole heartedly support the idea of a new tool of the Vark. Ive built the Academy kit a few times and it does resemble it reasonably well but its got its fair share of shape problems and requires a lot of care when putting it together. Ive also tried kit bashing it with the Hobby Boss F-111A and although its more build able. Its also not very accurate either. That 1950's future car bubble dome canopy totally ruins the look of the aircraft altogether. Replacing it with a vac form one doesn't fix it either since the area where it raises up in front of the canopy adds to the problem too. If I was to try and do another F-111 I would do the Academy one with all the aftermarket added. Sure it'll take some effort and cost you a small fortune in resin but its your best chance in 1/48. Theres some great examples on this site which show what can be done (look up Benners efforts. Thay are excellent). But personally Im holding out on the hope that some kit manufacturer some day will put in a better effort on a new tool Vark than what we've seen so far. 

I put together a reasonably good looking F111F about 20 years ago. I used the Academy 111F as a base and added Verlinden Update with cockpit and pavetack pod, Paragon accurate burner cans and the correct triple plow intakes (also from Paragon?). Some Gulf War decals for a Lakenheath Bird (the correct set for the dropping of the GBU 28) and some resin GBU 28's from somewhere I can't remember. She looked great in a SEA Camo until wife version 2.0's stupid cat decided to destroy it. Cats...what good are they.....?

Edited by Mr Matt Foley
I hate Cats