A-7 unknown pod

I saw this pod hanging from an A-7 in the background of a pic awhile back, it was dismissed as a MER however i came across this video:

pause it at the 26:31 mark and you can see it is not a MER. It is a pod of some sort, anyone know what it is?

Jari

the fins on the rear make it sort of look like a variation of an ALQ-88, look at your Warbird Tech A-1 book, there is a drawing in the back of that book

also look at some RF-4B photos with pods, there are two variations that look a lot like your A-7 pod.

Thanks Rex, i figured you would have an idea what it could be. I don't have the WT A-1 book but i did notice the tail fins and i have seen some RF-4B pics with similar pods, at least the back end, just the front end of this pod looks strange. Perhaps there are some detailed views of it some where. I did some reading and the ALQ-81 and 83 pods had both to be carried in order to defeat the Fan Song radars, perhaps the ALQ-88 worked alone? Thanks again.

Jari

I was just sort of guessing based on the back end,,,,,,,,,,the front of that pod looks strange to me, also.

As a side note, your pic shows a pretty good pic of the the Royal Jet outerwing drop tank on the Phantom. (smooth transition without the visible joints)

Going by the pics in the link provided above it looks like the front and rear ends were interchangeable, with a common center section. Just need to find close up pics of the nose and tail parts.

Jari 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...