Water Trap Placement

Hi all. I am running a Paasche DA400R Airbrush Compressor with a moisture trap right at the outlet and a 6' hose to the airbrush itself. I am still getting water at the gun after running for about 15 minutes or so. Is there a better way to set up this compressor / hose/ brush to cut down on the water? Should I run a hose from the compressor to the moisture trap and then come off of the moisture trap with a shorter hose to the airbrush? I am wondering if the warm, compressed air isn't cooling in the hose after the trap and then produces moisture as it nears the gun when it cools. Any thoughts? Thanks for any ideas.

Don

Is the moisture trap part of the regulator?

Depending on local conditions condensation could still occur in the hose, so you can also add an inline moisture trap in the hose. Paasche makes one, I have used it for years

pasmt.jpg

You splice it into your hose close to the airbrush.  I think I like the one in the post above even better. 

At the outlet of the compressor the compressed air is still hot and any liquid is still in suspension, "above the dew point".  You need the trap closer to the airbrush where the air has cooled enough to let the moisture condense and become "trappable". Search other threads here and you will find info about inline coolers made of copper tubing.

That's why I am going to go with the mini trap at the brush and I am also thinking of moving the regulator / main water trap midway between the compressor and the brush itself. That should get the air cooled down enough to condensate and accumulate  before it hits my model! I need to find some shorter lines to do this. That is today's project. Thanks all!

Don

Hi Don,

I used to have the same problem as you until I added the same water trap as the one Andrew (Kaibutsu) posted above. I kept the main regulator/water trap as it is i.e. at the outlet of the compressor (am using a Badger compressor). I no longer has the problem of water coming off the airbrush, disrupting the paintwork especially if you use enamel. i find this type of water trap an advantage in that you can just screw it to your airbrush without having to splice the hose. But more importantly, you can actually see the amount of water trapped and make a deliberate flushing before it gets into the airbrush on days when the air gets more humid especially where I am from, Singapore during days of heavy thunderstorm. This type of water trap comes with a standard 1/8 inch end fitting. I understand that Paasche airbursh has a unique hose end fitting that is smaller than the standard 1/8 inch type. Your might need an adaptor to go.

Best regards,

S K Loh

Thanks for that, S K. I found an adapter from Paasche airbrush thread to 1/8 pipe, which is what that small trap is. I get water bad in the summer here, too, and like you, I mostly shoot enamel or lacquer. The trap I have does catch some water, but it all depends on the humidity what it does. The further along the line a trap is placed, the better it will catch the water as that compressed air is cooling and condensing during its travel in the hose. I think I am going to come out of the compressor with a 6' hose to my regulator / trap, then another 6' to the mini-trap / airbrush. That will give the air two opportunities to cool prior to the airbrush. I found some cool set ups where people used transmission coolers to cool the air. Brilliant!

Don