The only airport I like is in Hilo on the Island of Hawaii. The mix of indoor and outdoor areas make it feel very relaxed. Even the TSA screening is laid back there. For spotting, Rick Husband Airport in Amarillo TX is my favorite, the former SAC runway makes it a hub for random military aircraft.

I hate every other airport I have ever flown in too, including my local one.

On 2017-04-23 at 7:01 PM, 11bee said:

Just curious what you folks favorite airports are.  For both flying to/from and for extended layovers?   I'll be doing a bit more traveling in the near future and have some autonomy to plan my flights, as long as the are generally cost-appropriate.   Any suggestions will be helpful. Here's my short list:  

Providence, RI.  My usual home airport.  Same distance from my house as Boston but it's smaller, cleaner and much more efficient   Even during rush hour, I can typically make it from car, through check in and TSA within 15 minutes.  Love the place!     Also, unlike BOS, road traffic is minimal.    Little Rock, AR and Greenville-Spartanburg, SC are in the same category.

Atlanta. Mostly crowded and run down but if you have an extended layover, take the "plane train" to the international terminal (F).   Much better ambiance, cleaner, some upscale shopping / eating options and most of the time it's half empty so you can always find a spot to relax and plane watch or get some work done.  Also get to see some interesting international  widebody jets, instead of the endless flow of Delta narrow bodies.   

Charlotte. Nice airport.  Clean and never seems overly crowded. Same as ATL, if I have a long layover, I'll head to the international section, which is usually quiet and semi-deserted, grab a rocking chair and enjoy a great view of hundreds of AA A320's and CR7/9's taking off from a nearby runway.  Only downside to CLT is terminal E, the American Eagle terminal.   It's always mobbed and is a dump.   

Detroit - I expected something on the dumpy side but was pleasantly surprised.  Clean and very efficient.   Nice selection of dining options and some nice plane watching options.  

On my avoid at at all costs lists:  Philly, DFW, Washington Dulles, Midway, Phoenix and LGA.  Washington National is nice, if you can ignore the swarms of self-important pols and lobbyist that overwhelm the place at rush hour. 

Thats it for my list. Any suggestions or tips are appreciated.   

Agree with you on Atlanta, I recently flew home from Atlanta to Canada. The domestic terminal was nutso.

My international terminal was laid back and empty. :) Just the way I like it.

On 2017-04-24 at 3:07 PM, Snowbird3a said:

YVR, and not because I live in BC.     It's just well laid out and beautiful to boot.    Favourite non-Canadian airport would be Schipol,  Very easy to transfer around, great lounges, and easy to get in and out of by train.    Least favourite would be Heathrow and least favourite Canuck aijrport would be YYZ(Pearson).   Both are a nightmare to transfer through with line-ups for everything you do, and baggage as slow as molassas.   Not even gonna mention my Delhi, Chennai or Mumbai experiences.

Cheers, Tony

Totally agree with you on Vancouver. It is very scenic and modern. I was in it last week and spent a lot of time taking pictures.

Toronto blows, I just went through it twice, the Air Canada terminal is nice, Westjet's blows, it is under construction and lacks amenities.

Customs sucks in Toronto too.

Had to go to Hilton Head last year and thought Savannah was a really nice airport with the small feel. Clean and quick in and out but dont know how the layover is there.

Atlantic City, NJ was never really all that bad and is a short cab ride to AC.  Might even see some NJANG F-16s around.

Newark International is a dump and has been as long as I've been alive.

Nothing to do with airports but I don't feel like starting a new topic.   Just read that American is reducing seat pitch on it's new 737MAX aircraft by a couple of inches.   In some rows, you will be down to 29" of seat pitch.   They may end up adding this "feature" to their current 737 fleet as well.   I had the misfortune of flying an AA 737-800 from Boston to Dallas a while back (which of course was 100% full) and was actually claustrophobic.   By far the most uncomfortable flight I've ever been on.  Can't imagine leg room getting even tighter.   Thankfully Southwest (my favorite domestic airline) has no plans to reduce their seat pitch from it's current 32".

I'm not slagging AA totally, I've been flying them quite a bit lately to/from a job in Little Rock, AR.   Those flights involve A319's and either CRJ900's or EMB-195's.   All of those aircraft (especially the Embraier) are reasonably comfortable.   Not sure why their 737's are so tight?

http://money.cnn.com/2017/05/02/news/companies/american-airlines-legroom/

I'm 6-3 and last month flew out to Vegas on a United 757 and it was roomy but on the way back to NJ I was on a 737 and my knees were pressed hard against the seat in front of me.  Luckily that seat was the only empty seat on the plane and nobody reclined it.  I couldn't imagine it getting worse.  My knee caps hurt for 3 days after that flight.

On 2017-05-03 at 4:08 PM, Spectre711 said:

I'm 6-3 and last month flew out to Vegas on a United 757 and it was roomy but on the way back to NJ I was on a 737 and my knees were pressed hard against the seat in front of me.  Luckily that seat was the only empty seat on the plane and nobody reclined it.  I couldn't imagine it getting worse.  My knee caps hurt for 3 days after that flight.

I hate people who recline their seats, they are usually the tiniest little midgets on the plane and haven't watched to many war movies where the person in the behind them has chicken wire.

I transited Dusseldorf about 2 weeks ago and found the process pleasantly quick and hassle free.  Literally 5 minutes from international arrival gate to domestic (Schengen) departure gate and that included going thru passport control.  Anything to avoid LHR, AMS, FRA, or CDG.  Of course Air Berlin lost my luggage but that's another story ...

On 5/6/2017 at 7:06 PM, Scooby said:

I hate people who recline their seats, they are usually the tiniest little midgets on the plane and haven't watched to many war movies where the person in the behind them has chicken wire.

I disagree. I'm stuffed in a seat with limited leg room, as soon as we are off the ground, I'm reclining.   Soon it will be a moot point though.  Only a matter of time before airlines start charging for that "privilege".  

I'm only 6'3" 230 lbs and there would have been no way you would have reclined that seat back the way my knees were pressed up against it.  Never had this problem before but if you were in front of me the only way that seat was going to recline was if I stood up or put my legs across the person next to me.  Not fair to me who paid for a seat to sit in for hours and barely got that.

With regard to reclining, the airlines thoughtfully give you the option of purchasing a seat in "Comfort Economy", "Premium Economy".  Too tall to enjoy the comforts of standard seating (especially if you are seated behind my reclined seat)?  Just fork over a few hundred more dollars and enjoy an extra 2 inches of legroom. 

Hey, as much as the seating sucks, at least we can still get access to the lavs, right?  

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/missouri-woman-claims-united-airlines-forced-pee-cup-article-1.3152631

Edited by 11bee

I wouldn't call my hight too tall since I fit all the other times untill I was booked on a United 737 from Vegas.  Company just trying to capitalize on space and make more money is all it is.  Been 6'3" for over 35 years and it's my first seat problem.

Maybe they're next move will be to bunk the seats for short people and charge them the same rate.  Or you could just pay more for a regular deluxe seat?

2 hours ago, Spectre711 said:

I'm only 6'3" 230 lbs and there would have been no way you would have reclined that seat back the way my knees were pressed up against it.  Never had this problem before but if you were in front of me the only way that seat was going to recline was if I stood up or put my legs across the person next to me.  Not fair to me who paid for a seat to sit in for hours and barely got that.

Agree, my knees are jammed against the front seat (US air carriers only). When I recline I don't gain any space. I decrease the space of the person behind me.

On 4/27/2017 at 3:38 PM, Scooby said:

Toronto blows.......

Customs sucks in Toronto too.

^       ^      ^       ^       ^       ^

This.

But, pretty much every single airport sucks, no matter where it is.

5 hours ago, skidbuggy said:

^       ^      ^       ^       ^       ^

This.

But, pretty much every single airport sucks, no matter where it is.

Don't agree. As I type this, I'm sitting at PVD.  15 minutes after locking my car, I'm through check-in and TSA, sitting in a clean, quiet terminal watching planes, drinking a coffee. Very relaxing start to my trip.   Of course I'll soon be boarding a full A319, got stuck in the middle seat.   That's when the suck will commence.