HUEYs at the Gulf /desert storm war

10 minutes ago, salvador001 said:

Wonder how Army Hueys would look if they had served in OIF/OEF? I just imagine them with all the latest ASE gear, missile threat systems, etc.. They would have done an amazing job!

Rod.

Those are some dirty, nasty words you're spitting out there brother. The UH-60's are the preferred grunt taxis now! 

Skids are for kids! The wheels are the deal!

(I'm a little biased, can't you tell!!!)😎

Tim

Edited by hawkwrench
17 minutes ago, salvador001 said:

Wonder how Army Hueys would look if they had served in OIF/OEF? I just imagine them with all the latest ASE gear, missile threat systems, etc.. They would have done an amazing job!

Rod.

How much does all that stuff weigh?  In Vietnam a Huey often struggled to lift 5 grunts at a time.   How would it have faired in the mountains of Afghanistan or on a 125 degree day in Iraq?  I love the old girl but for the Army's mission, her time has long gone.  

Heck, even the Blackhawk struggled a bit with those conditions.   Only helo that didn't seem to have any issues was the Chinook. 

Tis true. It's one of the main reasons why  the 160th SOAR wanted a stronger and more powerful engine for the MH-60M. Because of the heat and altitude, they couldn't fly a lot of high altitude mountainous missions, so that's why you were seeing many missions flown by the MH-47G. With a more powerful engine, they can fly with a lot more power in the mountain ranges of A-stan.

Tim

Befroe you all bad mouth the Huey to much consider that DOS (Department of State) has been flying Huey Iis in Afghanistan pretty much since the start of OEF.  Also, teh Iraqi Army flies Huey Iis as well.  the issue isn't that a Huey won't work at those temperatures and altitudes as much as the Army refused to update the fleet.  The UH-1Y and UH-1Ns of the Marines seem to be doing just fine.

Ray

Huey II specs.JPG

50 minutes ago, 11bee said:

How much does all that stuff weigh?  In Vietnam a Huey often struggled to lift 5 grunts at a time.   How would it have faired in the mountains of Afghanistan or on a 125 degree day in Iraq?  I love the old girl but for the Army's mission, her time has long gone.  

Heck, even the Blackhawk struggled a bit with those conditions.   Only helo that didn't seem to have any issues was the Chinook. 

Remember when the last black hawk goes to the junkyard , the crew will return to the base on a HUEY I can assure you that :taunt:

Some nice pictures there. A couple of questions, does anyone make any decals for a Desert storm UH-1, and what kit and updates would I need to make one from this period? I ask because I have been unable to find any decals unless I have to cobble several decal sheets to do this, and most of the kits I see are either D or H versions. Not being up on my UH-1s id there any difference externally between these versions. Thanks in advance for any help.

22 minutes ago, Jabba29 said:

Some nice pictures there. A couple of questions, does anyone make any decals for a Desert storm UH-1, and what kit and updates would I need to make one from this period? I ask because I have been unable to find any decals unless I have to cobble several decal sheets to do this, and most of the kits I see are either D or H versions. Not being up on my UH-1s id there any difference externally between these versions. Thanks in advance for any help.

Since it was impossible for me to get decals once I returned to Dominican Republic I have been using stencils and Vinyl printed decals some people here are master on stencils they can give you ideas on how to make those things

If you look closely, those DOS Huey IIs have the AN/AAR-47 CMWS where the APR-39 sensors should go in the nose mounts, they are also located on the tail, close to the omni VHF antennas. The IPS looks like a modern one, slightly different than the standard army IPS. HF antenna on tail boom, plus some VHFs on the roof. The flare launchers are inside the tail boom.

Now the big question: What paints should we use to make that camo scheme?

Rod.

Edited by salvador001
8 minutes ago, hawkwrench said:

Woop, those are some sweet looking Hurts Ray!!! Forgive my ignorance, but why does DOS have helos there anyway?

Tim

Drug eradication work I believe.  As far as the Huey 2 being competitive with the -60, keep in mind, the primary mission of the Hawk was to fly a full squad of grunts into combat.  A Huey (any type) doesn't even have seats for that many, let alone the lift capacity.   In DOS or Marine service, they are doing a completely different mission.  Nothing against our beloved Huey, it's just in a different class.  

11 minutes ago, 11bee said:

Drug eradication work I believe.  As far as the Huey 2 being competitive with the -60, keep in mind, the primary mission of the Hawk was to fly a full squad of grunts into combat.  A Huey (any type) doesn't even have seats for that many, let alone the lift capacity.   In DOS or Marine service, they are doing a completely different mission.  Nothing against our beloved Huey, it's just in a different class.  

True enough, John, but how many missions do you think the Army burns a crap ton of fuel flying in a Blackhawk that could be done just as well with a Huey II.  The Huey is a fantastic medium lift utility helicopter.  There is certainly a place for it along side the Blackhawk if the Army so desired.  there is no doubt whatsoever that the Huey II is a far superior ultility helicopter to the plastic fantastic UH-72 that replaced the Huey in the Army inventory in terms of interior space and mission flexibility.  Plus the Army could have had the Huey II for probbaly around 3 million a copy since they owned the UH-1H fuselages already.  Oh well, it's bygones now. 

Ray