HUEYs at the Gulf /desert storm war

I never could quite understand why in a "military" war, that you have civilian paramilitary units involved.

USA state dept, FBI HRT, BORTAC just to name a few. You said drug eradication. What authorization do they have to just fly in and start drug sweeping the country?

It just doesn't make very good sense to me how you can have these units running around outside the US borders in international countries enforcing the law. The CIA, I can understand their presence.

Not being the devil's advocate here, I just wonder why they're needed in a military scale conflict.

Tim

Edited by hawkwrench

Maybe I'm wrong Tim, but i believe the thinking is that the drug trade is sponsoring much of the terrorist activities and the Taliban in Afghanistan.  I think the idea was to help cut off their cash flow.  However, since I'm not a government spook, I can't really say for sure.

Ray

1 hour ago, rotorwash said:

Maybe I'm wrong Tim, but i believe the thinking is that the drug trade is sponsoring much of the terrorist activities and the Taliban in Afghanistan.  I think the idea was to help cut off their cash flow.  However, since I'm not a government spook, I can't really say for sure.

Ray

The issue, like everything else in Afghanistan, is complicated.  A good amount of the poppy crop does indeed help fund the bad guys.   But you need to remember that poppy has been a major cash crop over there for ages (actually, when they were in power, the Talliban was somewhat effective in stamping it out).   So when we go in an destroy some fields, there is also a good chance that the crop was owned by a "friendly" farmer.  After watching a year's work wilt away (and wondering how he will now provide for his family), there is a good chance that Ahmed will now walk down to the nearest Taliban recruiting station and sign up. 

Anyway, that's OT.  

Regarding those DOS Hueys, there are some other really good pictures of them buried in this forum.   Once we get the large scale Huey released, I plan on building one of them.  Truly an Uber-Huey!