Retirement and modelling

So I'm being medically retired from the Army after 13 years, start my transition leave in 2 weeks and a final out date at the end of June. Going to eave me with A LOT of open free time to finally start seriously plugging away at like the 50 some odd kits I have built up in my stash, I just really have never had the time to get past opening up a kit haha. Anyway with that being said I've been debating on what I want to start first, an A-4? Tamiya Tomcat? One of the numerous F-4's or MiG-21's I have? Maybe an F-100F with the C & H conversion for the Monogram kit? The Italeri Panvia Tornado (What a f@#*ing hot rod of a plane btw), I dunno so many to choose from. No I figured out what I want to build first.

Now I know this sounds corny but I just watched "Behind Enemy Lines," again (loved that movie when I was a teenager) and I want to build the Revell F/A-18F Super Hornet I've got. As far as markings go I have no bloody freaking clue which one to do. I've got a ton of markings for this bad boy (I do plan on building more) but for now I'm not sure yet. After scouring the internet for all sorts of articles from here on ARC, Brittmodeler, Z5, Hyperscale, Modelling Madness, etc., plus multiple books I've scrounged up (RAP "Modelling the Scale Hornet") I am still not 100% sure on what all I need to do for this kit. I have numerous accessories on order (Wolfpack nozzles, Rhino intakes, Steel Beach update set plus nav lights and ACS coaming) and I am looking for a set of the Wolfpack flaps and SB ECS pipes. I'm planning on an in flight build so possibly going to pick up the Aerobonus pilot in rocket seat so I've got crewman covered. Any insight on the difference between the Wolfpack and the Aires nozzles as far as which one to go with? What about in the office accessories, i.e. some added p.e. to spruce it up a bit?

I think that about covers my planning so far. Apologies ahead of time as I may have had to many glasses of Jamison's as well. In any case, any useful tips on this baby would be enormously helpful fellas, appreciate it.

Well, it's either back to school (scares the crap outta me) or possibly security contracting when I'm done. What I;d really like to do is just be a stay at home dad but that won't happen cause I'm getting divorced right now too hahaha! 

Anyway you wouldn't happen to have any more of those ECS pipes squirrled away would you Darren?

I am currently building the Revell kit too.  I got the recent reissue and doing the VX-23 markings.  A couple of things for you, get the Quickboost ECS pipes, no offense to Steel Beach, but the Quickboost ones are much more detailed.  If I had to go back, I would get the Quickboost ones.  Make sure your aircraft has /or had the ACS installed. It's not on every Rhino.  I got ahead of myself and ordered the Steel Beach set with the ACS/ECS and found out the VX-23 aircraft does not have the ACS installed on it.  I also got my hands on the ejection seats and pilots from the Hasegawa kits, I'm sure someone on here has them in their spares box they can send to you. They basically drop right into the Revell cockpit tub.  Take a closer look at the Aerobonus pilot, his helmet looks off (looks like a Helo Pilot's Helmet) and it's not the JHMCS seen on many hornet pilots.  

2 hours ago, Whiskey said:

I thought the Quickboost were only for the Hasegawa kit?

Somebody may correct me but, they probably could be used on the Revell kit.  They basically sit on the back end of the aircraft, probably would involve some minor tweaking. 

I've often thought about going back and redoing the ECS vents. However, the Quickboost ones are so nice, and I've got so many other things to work on, that I don't think it's worth it. To be honest, those ECS vents were one of the very first sets I ever did. They are over a decade old! BTW, no offense taken about saying the Quickboost are more detailed. I agree completely.

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 10:21 PM, Whiskey said:

Well, it's either back to school (scares the crap outta me) or possibly security contracting when I'm done. What I;d really like to do is just be a stay at home dad but that won't happen cause I'm getting divorced right now too hahaha! 

I'd say go to school and leave chasing contracts for the young and old. I'm building the Revell F-18E right now and enjoying it, first kit in a long time.