Hi all, I'm in the process of starting a 1:48 Hasegawa F-16D that I picked up last weekend; I'm wanting to build a jet that I've seen in person, namely F-16D Block 30B 85-1572 (ironically the subject of the kit boxart and decals, just "a few" years before I saw it). I'm still in the process of doing research, but one thing that showed up right away that I'll need to address is the pylons on the wings. The kit comes with the original style pylons, but when I saw it, they had been replaced by LAU-129s on the wingtips and outer pylons, and the center pylons included in the kit don't look much like what was mounted. I'd like to build the jet as I saw it (i.e. without any ordnance), so the pylons will definitely need an upgrade.

The jet in question:

29063241846_dbe135e4f3_c.jpgUSAF F-16D 85-1572 by Josh Kaiser, on Flickr

29063242236_6aa7cdde42_c.jpgUSAF F-16D 85-1572 by Josh Kaiser, on Flickr

Some googling has shown that Voyager makes a replacement set, but images are hard to find, so I can't tell if the rails are actually represented, or they're just flat, and expected to be covered by missiles. One other option I've found is Eduard's Brassin IRIS-T, which includes two LAU-129s and two RB99 rails (which look very similar - could they be used as a substitute?) That would in theory cover the four LAU-129s I need, but I'd still need a source for the center pylons.

So I guess my question is: does anyone make a decent set of F-16 pylons that could be displayed "clean" without too much work?

For the markings, I'm planning on cobbling together some bits from Jake Melampy's Test Vipers sheet, and eventually using that same sheet to build 85-1551, which came in at the same time (both were out doing refueling testing with the KC-46A last summer)

Edited by Jaypack44
Added scale

Thanks, but Attack squadron only appears to do the F-16 pylons in 1/72, and I need them in 1/48 (sorry, I failed to specify that in the original post), and Karaya's appear to both be molded with no rail detail (in the pictures I could find, it looks like the casting blocks are attached to the rail surface), and don't include the center pylon style that I need. I'm inclined to go with Voyager, since theirs appears to have what I'm looking for, I just can't tell if the LAU-129s actually have any rail detail.

Hi habu2, I believe it's the original 1980s (?) boxing, with the color insert, and such. I've checked, and not seen anything that looks like -129s on the sprues (at least the ones that are mounted on the jet in my photos), despite there being AMRAAMs included.

Presumably it is this one, as it has early years markings of 85-1572 while with the 52TFW 480TFS; 

06106bt.jpg

And then the kit only have the original rails. 

You mentioned that you wanted to build the kit without missiles? If so, Voyager will give you the most detailed rails around. Hasegawa's later release LAU-129 are intended for missiles to be mounted. The only thing to look out for with the Voyager rails is that these are intended for the Tamiya kit, hence wingtip launchers will need to have the lights added - this is supplied as clear parts in the Tamiya kit. 

Yep, that's the one, thanks for the insight on the Voyager set; for some reason, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of discussion about them (that Google can find, at least) to be found. Adding the lights shouldn't be too much of an issue, so I guess I'll be starting the search for a set!