Primer needed for Mr. Color?

Mr Color will not attack plastic. It is a lacquer but it is not hot, and will not craze plastic.

I like to use a primer on everything, it gives a consistent surface upon which to apply paint.  It also gives you an opportunity to verify sanding and putty work,

I would also use a lacquer primer, you might have an issue where the Mr. Color could attack enamel, I have never tried it, so I do not know for sure.

When I paint a model with Mr. Color I like to use Mr. finishing Surfacer 1500 as primer. 

What are you working on?

I'll use Tamiya or Mr Primer rattle cans or airbrush Mr. Surfacer or Mr White Base under Mr Color for the reasons Kurt noted. A primer coat is especially needed under white or yellow colors, just as it is with Alclad. I use a 0.7mm needle for Mr. Surfacer and Mr White Base; I find a 0.3mm needle too fine. For 1 1/144 F-4F, I used Mr White Base for coverage and then just laid a wet gloss white coat atop.

I thin with Mr Leveling Thinner to make sure I get a nice smooth coat. I also keep the nozzle quite close, between 1/4 to 1 1/2 inches; the paint must be wet when it hits the surface.

Once you learn to use them, Mr Color paints are very nice!

Thanks All,

I took a year off from building anything and I recently started using Mr. Color.  I working on two 1/48 Hasegawa Super Hornets. I was using model master enamels to put on an initial coat and couldn't get the paint to come out nicely from the airbrush.  Maybe I should have thinned it more. Or I might need to replace the head and needed on my airbrush.