ARC Discussion Forums
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Els

Honda Road Racer

Hello all,

It has been a while since I built a motorcycle so I decided to pick up the Round 2/AMC 1:8 Honda Road Racer kit.

01_zpsclgqtqla.jpg

I was going to build this for the Classic Models group build because I believe this to be a reissue of the old 60's or 70's MPC kit but I can't seem to find anywhere that actually states this.  So I will just put it here.

First off I wanted to get rid of all the chrome plating, there is a lot of it.

02_zpszf71uzg8.jpg

My chrome stripper of choice is Purple Power.  Usually it only takes about 20 minutes in this stuff to get the job done but not with this kit.  The chrome came right off the red plastic but I had to soak the chrome covered black plastic over night and even then I had to use a little sand paper to get it all.

03_zpss79105wh.jpg

Starting with the engine I found that Round 2 used some extremely hard plastic in this kit.  It is like trying to glue granite together with Tamiya Extra Thin.  Make sure you have plenty of clamps on hand.

04_zps2bic5yyg.jpg

I usually build Tamiya 1:12 bikes and I was surprised by the size difference in this 1:8 scale kit.  Here is my last Tamiya kit compared to the engine on this kit to show a size comparison.

06_zpsd86czjxw.jpg

More work on the engine and more clamping.

08_zps6lelgrbn.jpg

I also started puttying the tank and other parts.

07_zpsg4vgehye.jpg

And that looks FANTASTIC..  kerp it coming..

Impressive build so far.

:clap2:

Must be getting old, I remember Dick Mann winning the Daytona race, and I have owned five CB750's, in fact I still have one, so I will be interested to see how this turns out.

Cheers

Dennis

Wow you guys have been digging back.  Unfortunately this kit is still sitting at this same unbuilt stage.  I ran into a problem with the rubber/vinyl tires.  The side walls of the tires that came with the kit are to thin and they sag to one side or the other once you put the rims in them.  I got a new set of tires but they have the same problem.  I am not sure if this is a problem with all the kits or I just got lucky twice.  I tried putting pipe cleaners in the tires to fill them up and that kind of worked but it still looked like crap.  I gave one set of the tires away to someone who was going to try and fill them with resin.  Last time I checked he had not done anything with them either.  Since there is some interest in this I may just try to run some epoxy around the edges to see it if helps.  I want to see the kit finished, these old reissues can be frustrating.

Els