New 2017 Academy and GWH 1/72 F-15E

I like the breakdown of the fuselage for the Academy, it's going to be very easy to paint the metallic areas without having to spend time masking it. Clever way to eliminate the usual gaps between the CFTs and fuselage too. Pretty excited about this kit.

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 8:36 PM, habu2 said:

Is this in the same series as their recent snap-together 1/72 F-16 kit ?

It appears to be a snap kit, much like the F-4Jand Super Hornets.

Some of the sprue gates make it clear that an F-15K Slam Eagle is on the way...... 

The kit has not been officially released yet but some test samples were distributed to a limited number of modelers and a modeling community, MMZ in Korea. Below are an official review of the kit by MMZ and a blog posting for the kit review. 

http://mmzone.co.kr/mms_tool/mt_view.php?mms_db_name=mmz_media&mms_cat=[리뷰]&no=1547

http://blog.naver.com/spooky_64/220992030477

There were also posted test build photos of the kit on the MMZ few hours ago.  

http://mmzone.co.kr/album/showcase.php?dbname=gallerymain&id=49510

The guy who posted the photos wrote that the sample was made without any glue to show that the kit was made as snap-together. Even without the glue, parts of the kit come together well.  

Overall, the kit was engineered as snap-together and there are some simplified details including PW turkey-feather nozzle.  The reviewers are in agreement that the kit was engineered with far better details than the company's previous offerings including 1/72 F-18E/F and F-4 series. AFAIK, the kit was designed by Wolfpack design, another modeling company in Korea, which explains the significant improvement in details over Academy's previous snap kits. BTW, the decals are printed by Cartograf. 

Edited by not2p

For me I'm going to wait for reviews of both kits after the out-of-scale F-15E of Fujimi a while ago.  The price of the Academy kit is attractive but will need to factor in a set of Aries replacement engine nozzles. Do like the way they designed the Sniper pod with clear plastic windows.  As for the GWH kit it looks based on the sprue shots to have detail engine nozzles.  What is intriguing is the box art.  It shows the AN/ASQ-236 SAR pod.  Would be nice if it is included in this release or a subsequent one.

Mark S.

GWH bites me off due their CFT and fuselage solution,I have some plans for a Silent Eagle and if and if Hasegawa doesn't cover it first modding those two will be a pain in the bummer.Plus I'm also looking for the F-35C gunpod and two ECWP of the Advanced Super Hornet as I was so smart to NOT preorder them and I want to keep my buy/sell stuff back when is no longer needed at minimum

3 hours ago, JackMan said:

... the kit seems a little too rivet-y ....

I thought the same about the UberRiveter going overboard on the wing tops. However, the rest of the model (minus pylon rivets) looks more restrained (I hope).

... why can't they give just finely recessed panel lines.

I agree with your sentiment, Craig, but you know there would be plenty of folks complaining about the lack of riveting as they rolled their Rosies along those fine recessed panel line.

Gene K

Edited by Gene K

The rivets don't look too bad.  A coat of paint should tone them down.  Besides, if you've bought a recent Hasegawa, a lot of details have to be rescribed because the molds are getting worn and some details are going from restrained to faint! 

I'm more concerned about some of the more clunky-looking details.  The sidestick controllers in the back seat look like stumps, the canopy is a single piece, the landing gear attachment points are huge and the P&W exhaust are a joke.  On the plus side, it's got the GPS dome, correct main gear doors and gun clip.  I also like how the wings are molded with the fuselage and the GE exhaust look great.  If the price is competitive and the GWH isn't very good, I may still pick one up.  I'm happy to have more choices.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017. 4. 28. at 7:29 AM, Gene K said:

Will be interesting to compare it to the GWH kit -- whenever that shows up.

5902709b263b6_GWHF-15E.thumb.jpg.242806cc8b527d089ba76d24a6c910c0.jpg

Gene K

Some photos of the GWH kit were uploaded on 1999.co.jp

10465620a.jpg

10465620a2.jpg

10465620a3.jpg

10465620a4.jpg

10465620a5.jpg

10465620a6.jpg

Edited by not2p
10 minutes ago, not2p said:

Some photos of the GWH kit were uploaded on 1999.co.jp

Saw those on Britmodeller, thanks. They look great, I think.  

I'm looking forward to the comments and analysis  from the experts (seriously). :thumbsup:

Gene K

19 hours ago, fulcrum1 said:

These snap kits are absolute perfect for my boys. Looks good too.

For sure!

"Snap kits" used to have a connotation of simplified detail and large seams. However, I think that's changed with what Academy and some other companies are doing these days! In that regard, the Academy F-15E kit follows their very nice F-4 and F/A-18 snappers, but I wasn't aware that the GWS kit is designed in a similar manner. There is an indication in the first picture in this review ... have you seen more?

Gene K

Well, since there's no ARC thread on the GWH kit (is there?), I'll post this link from BM to some more photos of the GWH kit. Looks really good ... and Google translate does a fair job.

Here are a couple of samples:

082225wfkqfh5eex5z5u5u.jpg

082549u9jk3jj44yzykm4e.jpg~original

Gene K

Edited by Gene K
On 2017. 5. 16. at 7:01 AM, Gene K said:

Well, since there's no ARC thread on the GWH kit (is there?), I'll post this link from BM to some more photos of the GWH kit. Looks really good ... and Google translate does a fair job.

Gene K

The GWH kit shows overall nice details. I can also see that its wheel hubs are not those of an F-15E. 

Edited by not2p

Here's a clue to the price of each kit:

Academy: ~ $20USD

GWH      : ~ $32USD

The Academy price seems (too) low going by previous comparable Academy kits like the F-4.

Gene K

Edited by Gene K