On 7/25/2017 at 3:55 PM, skyhawk174 said:

Yup that is better. Works out to about $65 USD or about $81 CDN. Better but what about shipping?

That link, Aviation Megastore, is listing the kit @ € 99.13 without VAT. This comes to $116.50 USD and $145 CDN not including the shipping. A bit rich for what is appearing to be a simple kit. It better be spectacular given it's priced in the same bracket as most of Tamiya's recent 1/32 offerings, excluding the Mossie.

Cheers,

John

54 minutes ago, CF104 said:

That link, Aviation Megastore, is listing the kit @ € 99.13 without VAT. This comes to $116.50 USD and $145 CDN not including the shipping. A bit rich for what is appearing to be a simple kit. It better be spectacular given it's priced in the same bracket as most of Tamiya's recent 1/32 offerings, excluding the Mossie.

Cheers,

John

Ok that is weird. When the link first went up I saw a different price. I wonder what happened there. Obviously 99 Euro is not $65 USD. Updated pricing?

I have lots of other kits to build so not too worried about getting this kit. Maybe one day in the near future when LM has a 20% off deal?

All I got to say is that I'm not going to pay anywhere near $100.00(+) for a basic kit. I'll keep & build the C-5's I have. I look at Revell's An-124 with a great interior and swing nose...etc., all for around $50-60. Now that's a great deal. Not to mention their 72nd A400M. Both of those are great models.

The most I'd pay for a new (basic) C-5....B or M...would be no more than $65...if that. Thank you and good night.

Edited by pminer

While i personally agree ~100USD is too steep (i would wait and see what it will be costing in Ukrainian shops), comparing it to Revell is silly. First off Revell always has some of the lowest prices there is, and secondly they are Revell. A very large company, Roden just isnt. Hence a higher price than Revell is to be expected.

While I agree Revell is a bigger company than Roden, the An-124 kit was Revell of Germany, and RoG kit prices are always higher than Revell kits.  Even then it sold for $33 list which, factoring in for inflation, is still a mere $40.10

When you factor in the lack of features compared to the An-124 and even considering economies of scale between the two companies, it would appear Roden's price point is driven more by the value/rarity of the Otaki mold kits than it is by the content and features of the kit itself.  If I can get an Otaki kit for less than the Roden, why would I spend the extra $$$$ ?

50 minutes ago, habu2 said:

While I agree Revell is a bigger company than Roden, the An-124 kit was Revell of Germany, and RoG kit prices are always higher than Revell kits.  Even then it sold for $33 list which, factoring in for inflation, is still a mere $40.10

When you factor in the lack of features compared to the An-124 and even considering economies of scale between the two companies, it would appear Roden's price point is driven more by the value/rarity of the Otaki mold kits than it is by the content and features of the kit itself.  If I can get an Otaki kit for less than the Roden, why would I spend the extra $$$$ ?

Amen! If they're just trying to piggy back off the ridiculous prices for the Otaki C-5....then they're just trying to "dig" the market for as much as they can get away with. But better companies produce good products that are as generous as possible in features and at a reasonable price. Best example is Revell's An-124 and C-17. They were/are a steal....even if produced by a larger company that could afford it.

Roden will have to do much better on price if they expect a good response.  

I have 2 Otaki kits and 1 Revell release : brittle plastic, rubbish engines/landing gears and most of the times warped fuselage halves... I am after more Galaxy kits and I know where my money will be going, even if the Ukrainian kit commends a premium over the Japanese kit.

Yes, the Roden kit is on the expensive side for what you presumably get (sadly what looks to be an empty fuselage but thankfully extended flaps/slats and separate controls) but hoping for a 50-60$ or £ price tag was not realistic, considering what their C-141 (much smaller and simplistic kit) and VC-10 (a bit more convincing detail wise but still a simple kit) kits went for at release.

Though simply designed but decently detailed and accurate, I liked their VC-10 kits very much so I will probably get 2 of each C-5A and M releases. I just hope they better the engines and landing gears of the japanese kit.

Very looking forward to ordering this kit, I hope more detailed photos of the engines will surface shortly.

Edited by UpperDeck
3 hours ago, habu2 said:

Hobby Search has the kit listed for ~$136 (plus shipping) due in September.

Sorry...I'm out....UNLESS the engines are killer detailed and all antenna....lumps....bumps and intakes are all accurate. And the fit will have to be classic....
Even then....the jury is still out.

2 hours ago, habu2 said:

Yikes that's $500-$600 for four models?  Sorry, outta my league.....

It may sound excessive (anyway I will probably order them from Ukraine or Russia, with the correspondingly lower price tag than Hannants's or the likes) but the price question is very subjective and I also need to mention that, and this is NOT directed to anyone...

I am single, no family to look after, do not smoke, do not drink alcohol, do not go out partying, do not have a mortage, do not have a leased car, do not even own a simple credit card : I have a simple life and all my money goes into vacation and airplane/modelling stuff. Some will see no problem spending 40k$ on a big fat new truck and choke when milk increases 50 cents, not directed to anyone, just pointing out that we are all different and have different priorities.

Of course I will check the first reviews before placing my order but, so far, I like what I see. All it needs is to better the Otaki kit, price wise I will be fine with that.

But I agree it is some sort of gamble for Roden, curious to see what will be their pricing strategy on next kits.

2 hours ago, UpperDeck said:

It may sound excessive (anyway I will probably order them from Ukraine or Russia, with the correspondingly lower price tag than Hannants's or the likes) but the price question is very subjective and I also need to mention that, and this is NOT directed to anyone...

I am single, no family to look after, do not smoke, do not drink alcohol, do not go out partying, do not have a mortage, do not have a leased car, do not even own a simple credit card : I have a simple life and all my money goes into vacation and airplane/modelling stuff. Some will see no problem spending 40k$ on a big fat new truck and choke when milk increases 50 cents, not directed to anyone, just pointing out that we are all different and have different priorities.

Of course I will check the first reviews before placing my order but, so far, I like what I see. All it needs is to better the Otaki kit, price wise I will be fine with that.

But I agree it is some sort of gamble for Roden, curious to see what will be their pricing strategy on next kits.

Hmmmm.....different way of looking at things. Not bad. Good dialog. Thanks!!

Released :

It shows a rather simple kit. Too bad for the split wheels (could it be an issue with sink marks on 1 part wheels ? I admit the split wheels on their VC-10 kits are the nicest I have ever seen in 1/144, featuring nice tire thread and beautiful rim details) but the landing gears and their bays look like a serious improvement over Otaki's, the engines look nothing special, but still better than Otaki's.

I will be honest, I was expecting a little more details, not necessarily a cargo bay but perhaps a bit more elaborate engines. Which, in turn, makes this kit appear even more expensive.

I will however stick to my 2 B and 2 M models as I really want C-5 Galaxies modern tooled kits.

I’ll take one.

I know they couldn’t please everyone, but I would have given up the flaps and slats in favor of an open nose and at least a cargo floor. I guess it won’t be tough to do myself, but really, I would bet that the first thought most modelers would have about doing a C-5 would be displaying it with the front and rear open.

Guess I’ll go work on my Revell An-124...

4 hours ago, andrew.deboer said:

I’ll take one.

I know they couldn’t please everyone, but I would have given up the flaps and slats in favor of an open nose and at least a cargo floor. I guess it won’t be tough to do myself, but really, I would bet that the first thought most modelers would have about doing a C-5 would be displaying it with the front and rear open.

Guess I’ll go work on my Revell An-124...

LOL...that's pretty funny....

The C-5 looks pretty good! I'm surprised at the level of detail and the moveable control surfaces. But $140.00?? To me...it's not worth it. I'd pay $50 - $75.....

But I'll ride the discount bus at Hobby Lobby or with some other deal. I *may* get a $140.00 kit....but doubtful at this point.
Price....that's the only disappointment at this point. And it's a big one.