WOW, looks like some knuckle head over at Roden was hitting the glass pipe when they came up with the price on this. This kit is definitely not worth what they are asking. So many other great kits out there to spend $140 on, this is not one of them. 

Dave Fassett

3 hours ago, Bulldog 09 said:

WOW, looks like some knuckle head over at Roden was hitting the glass pipe when they came up with the price on this. This kit is definitely not worth what they are asking. So many other great kits out there to spend $140 on, this is not one of them. 

Dave Fassett

Amen to that. Dam....

Might just have been worth a UK price of £120 (roughly $145) IF it had been 1/72 but, no 1/144 kit is worth that. Even if the price was reduced by 50% I'd still call it overpriced. I personally wouldn't pay more than £35 - £40 for any 1/144 kit - especially one as basic as this appears to be. Might be worth a bit more IF it had a detailed cockpit/fuselage interior and front/rear ramps as well. Be interesting to see how the forthcoming Kinetic 1/72 C-17 pans out price wise.

Allan

3 hours ago, Albeback58 said:

Might just have been worth a UK price of £120 (roughly $145) IF it had been 1/72 but, no 1/144 kit is worth that. Even if the price was reduced by 50% I'd still call it overpriced. I personally wouldn't pay more than £35 - £40 for any 1/144 kit - especially one as basic as this appears to be. Might be worth a bit more IF it had a detailed cockpit/fuselage interior and front/rear ramps as well. Be interesting to see how the forthcoming Kinetic 1/72 C-17 pans out price wise.

Allan

Indeed! If the Kinetic C-17 is anything like their E-2 and C-2....then I'm all over that! Yeah...I'd pay above $100.00 for that. Not sure how much over...it just depends on the final product.

And you know fellas....as long as we've waited for a new tool injected C-5....it looks like we will be waiting a lot longer. Its astonishing to me as to what Roden was thinking....?

Pent up demand so they could raid the market!? For me....and a lot of others I think....it ain't gonna happen....not for a basic 144th kit. d----it!....

1 hour ago, pminer said:

Indeed! If the Kinetic C-17 is anything like their E-2 and C-2....then I'm all over that! Yeah...I'd pay above $100.00 for that. Not sure how much over...it just depends on the final product.

And you know fellas....as long as we've waited for a new tool injected C-5....it looks like we will be waiting a lot longer. Its astonishing to me as to what Roden was thinking....?

Pent up demand so they could raid the market!? For me....and a lot of others I think....it ain't gonna happen....not for a basic 144th kit. d----it!....

There is the school of thought that suggests Roden's bean counters  had (1)  estimated relatively low demand for this kit which is, after all, very much a "niche" subject and, the retail price was set accordingly at a level that would recoup their investment based on these estimated sales. Or, (2) that they had based their price  on what second hand examples of the Otaki/Testors/Revell/Entex incarnations of the kit were fetching or, (3) that they were banking on hordes of eager modellers who had been waiting 30+ years for a new kit rushing out eagerly with wads of cash in their hot sweaty paws to grab one!! That would actually fit in with your theory about pent up demand

I guess the truth is somewhere in between!!:dontknow:.Whatever it may be, I think they are going to get burned on this one. Certainly, if they estimated low demand, I guess it will be even lower now that the pre order prices are known.

Allan

6 hours ago, Albeback58 said:

There is the school of thought that suggests Roden's bean counters  had (1)  estimated relatively low demand for this kit which is, after all, very much a "niche" subject and, the retail price was set accordingly at a level that would recoup their investment based on these estimated sales. Or, (2) that they had based their price  on what second hand examples of the Otaki/Testors/Revell/Entex incarnations of the kit were fetching or, (3) that they were banking on hordes of eager modellers who had been waiting 30+ years for a new kit rushing out eagerly with wads of cash in their hot sweaty paws to grab one!! That would actually fit in with your theory about pent up demand

I guess the truth is somewhere in between!!:dontknow:.Whatever it may be, I think they are going to get burned on this one. Certainly, if they estimated low demand, I guess it will be even lower now that the pre order prices are known.

Allan

LOVE the logic! LOL...

Gotta agree with you. Maybe they just threw it out there to let the market "decide". But like you said....they're gonna get burned. More expensive than the Anigrand kit?? LOL....you gotta be kiddin me. Didn't realize that.

Definitely will not buy. I've waited this long....it ain't gonna hurt to wait some more. But d----it if it ain't frustrating. And no Roden...I will not get over my initial sticker shock and then buy. Once I've decided....its a done deal.

However...if you reduce the price to 50 - 60.....I'll reconsider.  That's just me though.....

2 hours ago, pminer said:

LOVE the logic! LOL...

Gotta agree with you. Maybe they just threw it out there to let the market "decide". But like you said....they're gonna get burned. More expensive than the Anigrand kit?? LOL....you gotta be kiddin me. Didn't realize that.

Definitely will not buy. I've waited this long....it ain't gonna hurt to wait some more. But d----it if it ain't frustrating. And no Roden...I will not get over my initial sticker shock and then buy. Once I've decided....its a done deal.

However...if you reduce the price to 50 - 60.....I'll reconsider.  That's just me though.....

:wave::wave: Good morning! (At least it's morning here!!):thumbsup:

Lol! Am not a big believer in letting the market decide - unless it's MY market!! But, in this case, I definitely think it will be a hostile market. Whining and whinging about prices will not make a manufacturer lower or,rethink same. However, very poor sales might and, as ever, the customer voting with his/her wallet will be the final arbiter. To put this into some sort of perspective, $140 would buy me four bottles of my favourite whisky (that's single malt Scotch whisky!!). I know what I'd rather have! $50 is about £38. Roughly at the upper limit of what I'd pay for a 1/144 kit so, I'm inclined to agree with you about reconsidering if the price were substantially reduced. I think that might happen in any case. While I do not see many retailers stocking this ( my local shop has it available to pre-order at £119.99 ($155) ) I think those that do will find those nice shiny boxes turning into dust gathering shelf blockers. They may then be forced to indulge in some serious discounting just to shift the wretched things!!

I'll watch this space! I'm not THAT desperate for a C-5. Yes, I agree it's a tad frustrating but, I can wait. I was speaking to a friend of mine yesterday on this very subject. He is definitely a transport buff. His response on hearing the price was that they could ..........well, I could not possibly repeat it here ! Funnily enough, I have two of the Otaki originals. I put it them on my shelf of doom when I heard about the release of the Roden kits. Guess I might dust them off!! I certainly did NOT pay the silly prices often demanded but then, that should surprise nobody. We Scots have a reputation for being a bit tight fisted when it comes to money!

Allan

Edited by Albeback58
On 10/08/2017 at 5:14 PM, Teeradej said:

That cheeky bugger!!! He's used pictures of my Anigrand build to advertise a Roden kit!!!! I should charge him royalties fees.. :) 

4 hours ago, The Madhatter said:

That cheeky bugger!!! He's used pictures of my Anigrand build to advertise a Roden kit!!!! I should charge him royalties fees.. :)

Seriously, you should! Or tell him to pull the pictures and complain to ebay.

1) He's using your pictures for his commercial gain

2) It's misleading as you noted.

BTW, great build, love the markings!

3 hours ago, Raymond Chung said:

Well, we learn from you and adjust the price.

Are you from Roden? If so...then thank you. Seriously....$50 - $60 is what I think this kit is worth. If the price goes down...I'll buy several.

1 hour ago, pminer said:

Are you from Roden? If so...then thank you. Seriously....$50 - $60 is what I think this kit is worth. If the price goes down...I'll buy several.

No, he is from Luckymodel.

And he offer a price you might consider...

http://www.luckymodel.com/scale.aspx?item_no=ROD%20330

Edited by Teeradej
4 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

I came really, really close to selling my Revell kit for $50 when the Roden kit was announced. So glad I changed my mind!

If you decide...I have first dibbs! Please....??

18 hours ago, The Madhatter said:

I thought it looked familiar Si.

Send him a polite message and see what happens!

Hmmm! Well, it's good to see Lucky Model is paying attention. Wonder how many other retailers will follow suit. Certainly, in good old rip off UK, the only prices I have seen are well over the £100 mark.$79 (£61) is still excessive (in my view) for this kit but, it's a lot more sensible.

Allan 

11 hours ago, Albeback58 said:

Hmmm! Well, it's good to see Lucky Model is paying attention. Wonder how many other retailers will follow suit. Certainly, in good old rip off UK, the only prices I have seen are well over the £100 mark.$79 (£61) is still excessive (in my view) for this kit but, it's a lot more sensible.

Allan 

Absolutely!! Glad to see the response of a lowered price....but the kit is still not worth $80.00. But at least we're headed in the right direction...

34 minutes ago, thegoodsgt said:

$92 shipped? Totally worth it!

Yeah, pretty much will have to pay shipping wherever it's ordered, so the $80.00 price is more palatable, and probably not too  far off from what the old Otaki / Revell kits were going for not so long ago. I will probably order on at that price.

On 8/13/2017 at 3:02 PM, Trojan Thunder said:

I thought it looked familiar Si.

Send him a polite message and see what happens!

mate, if I could be bothered I would. I just found it funny that he used an Anigrand kit to advertise a Roden product. If it wasn't for the Anigrand build I would buy the Roden kit as I've wanted a C5 for years. However, I don't have enough shelf space for another one and I have more than enough kits to build in the pile without adding another one. I'll be content to watch others build theirs :thumbsup2:

On 2017-08-12 at 11:30 AM, Raymond Chung said:

Well, we learn from you and adjust the price.

Thank you Raymond, my pre-order is placed. I am sure you are taking less profit on this but hopefully  you make up for it in volume of sales. I order just about every new kit from you now as you are my best source and cheapest shipping. I can no longer afford to purchase from the US. Shipping is too high.