• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, habu2 said:

You got that right - list price $165 USD

Oh well! I routinely bailed out of ebay bidding for the Otaki kit at half that...

Wouldn't even begin to fit in my display cabinet anyway...

21 minutes ago, habu2 said:

There was a link to a pre-order at megahobby in the Caracal forum.

https://www.megahobby.com/products/preorder-c-5b-galaxy-military-transport-aircraft-1-144-roden.html

Cool! What's your thoughts about this whole thing? You think Roden will hit a home run? Or is it a lot of hype about nothing? IE....will this thing have interioir and a cockpit? Just curious if you or anybody really knows....

Roden's C-141B listed for $35.00

Revell's An-124 listed for $33.00 when it came out in 2006. This kit featured a full interior, open nose and rear ramp.

I have not seen any sprue shots of Roden's C-5 kits but, at that price, I am expecting an open nose, rear ramp, a full interior, photoetch and an incredible decal sheet. Anything less and it will be Very Difficult to justify that price.

Edited by habu2
13 minutes ago, habu2 said:

Roden's C-141B listed for $35.00

Revell's An-124 listed for $33.00 when it came out in 2006. This kit featured a full interior, open nose and rear ramp.

I have not seen any sprue shots of Roden's C-5 kits but, at that price, I am expecting an open nose, rear ramp, a full interior, photoetch and an incredible decal sheet. Anything less and it will be Very Difficult to justify that price.

Absolutely!! I'm tracking there with you....

1 hour ago, dnl42 said:

My experience with Roden decals are they're a wee bit far from "incredible."

I don't have any experience with Roden decals - or kits - just an expectation based on the list price. I think Caracal (and possibly others) will provide us with comprehensive decal options.   My only Roden kit so far is their C-141B and it is still in the box. 

Speaking of list price, is the C-5 kit price in line with other Roden kit prices ?  I'm not familiar ....

I want the C-5M, I hope this high price doesn't eliminate this future release.

Or should I buy the C-5B at this price? Will they only change the decals between the two releases?

Edited by Scooby

At that list price, there goes my plans for 8 of them to build give to friends of my father who worked on them in the mid 80's.  I might get 1 if any at all at that price for my father as a gift.  Paid right around $30 for the C-141 and the C-5's approx 50% larger (ballparking it there) I expected around double the price, not 5x almost 6x the price...

Hope they reconsider the pricing.

16 minutes ago, Rob de Bie said:

Yup that is better. Works out to about $65 USD or about $81 CDN. Better but what about shipping?

St

7 minutes ago, MoFo said:

FWIW, the kit does not have an interior, open nose or ramp.  Just dropped control surfaces.

Thanks for the info Mike. Still probably better than the old Otaki/Revell kit as you would need decals for that kit. When I built mine years ago, the decals were already yellow. I did a Euro one lizard scheme so I had to scrounge markings anyway.

Ok...I reviewed the Roden C-141. Nice kit...albeit minimal. Still...Ok for the price. If Roden charges $165 for the C-5...I'm OUT!

But if they bring it down to the $65 range per above posts....I'm in. Still.....its all about the engines. If they are done well...I'll buy several. If not....only one of each.

Still wish there was an interior and cockpit.....

21 hours ago, MoFo said:

FWIW, the kit does not have an interior, open nose or ramp.  Just dropped control surfaces.

Just curious...how did you find this information? And....are there more sprue shots? Thanks....

Edited by pminer
12 hours ago, pminer said:

Just curious...how did you find this information? And....are there more sprue shots? Thanks....

Some sprue shots here...not sure if they are "test" shots or what. apears to have full flap/slats but no open nose of aft cargo doors.

http://tinyurl.com/ydejvb6y

Had planned on getting one of these to go with my Roden C-141 and Revell C-17 as soon as possible after release....i think i may just wait awhile now and see how much various online stores start to discount them...when they don't sell at full retail