27 minutes ago, Mercury said:

Hmm...got the Roden 1/144 C-141B for Cdn$38 and the fantastic Revell 1/72 A400 for Cdn$81...'nuff said

Yep....I got the fantastic 72nd A400M for $60.00. No discounts....no specials. Got it when it first came out. In fact...got 3 of them!!

It seems that Revell may still have the Otaki C-5 molds somewhere in its vast tooling warehouse as they have issued the kit well past the time of the supposed loss of the Otaki L-1011 tooling.  If that is true then perhaps Revell could partner with Zvzeda to tool new engines and issue the kit for the same price as their An-124 

2 hours ago, aircal62 said:

It seems that Revell may still have the Otaki C-5 molds somewhere in its vast tooling warehouse as they have issued the kit well past the time of the supposed loss of the Otaki L-1011 tooling.  If that is true then perhaps Revell could partner with Zvzeda to tool new engines and issue the kit for the same price as their An-124 

Well that would certainly be a nice option to have and provide some competition to Roden. It always seems that the major model manufacturers produce the same thing but I do understand. Roden's C5 makes no money for Revell.

I have several of their big kits and I am always amazed how they can sell it for what they do. Must be a long amortization or big runs.

8 hours ago, aircal62 said:

What do you base that on?

If you look at the release chronology on scalemates.com the original kit was released by Otaki in 1971, then by Entex in 1972 & 1976, next by Revell in 1984,then by Testors in 1988 and finally by a company called Yodel in probably 1988 or 1989.

If the molds are still around someone has been sitting on them for almost three decades....

Edited by habu2
typos
10 hours ago, aircal62 said:

Yep....I don't normally like Soviet A/C. But the An-124 is extremely well done by Revell. And...the price? No clue how they do it. But I ain't complainin! Been thinking seriously about picking up a copy at a show. Maybe do a what-if in USAF markings...?? LOL....it's just too military looking to leave in blue & white livery.

And yes...I've heard by more than one reliable source that the original Otaki/Revell molds are kicking around somewhere.....

10 hours ago, aircal62 said:

Just thinking out loud here. If Revell (or someone) has the original C-5 molds....how hard would it be for them to new tool a decent cockpit and decent interior? Nothing real fancy....just something to add value. And yes....partner with Zvzeda for new engines. Or....doesn't someone already have some newer C-5 engines in resin? In fact...I think I have a copy. LOL....gotta check....

But yeah...Revell maybe partner with the engines already out there....

Example? The EP-3E from Hasagawa. Has beautiful resin parts....

7 hours ago, pminer said:

Just thinking out loud here. If Revell (or someone) has the original C-5 molds....how hard would it be for them to new tool a decent cockpit and decent interior? Nothing real fancy....just something to add value. And yes....partner with Zvzeda for new engines. Or....doesn't someone already have some newer C-5 engines in resin? In fact...I think I have a copy. LOL....gotta check....

But yeah...Revell maybe partner with the engines already out there....

Example? The EP-3E from Hasagawa. Has beautiful resin parts....

I know it is all about personal thoughts but I still do not get it.

If Revell were to re-release the Otaki kit, even if the moulds were already amortized, they would not give them away for free.

The following are only assumptions : if they were to re-release it as is, let us assume they price it at An-124 price, say $35 (which I could not see happening). Now tool a decent cockpit and decent interior, bang, you can add at least $15 for that sprue (I assume that is the extra they would add to the $35, not what it costs them to design/produce the sprue, you get the idea). Then partner with Zvzeda for new engines (never seen Zvezda tool a sprue to pimp-up a competitor's kit) ? With Zvezda's high standard and moulding excellence, add another $15 for that sprue. Resin engines ? Make that $25 instead of $15.

You are now looking at $65-75 (without shipping) for a 1980s kit, with new up to date interior and engines (or resin engines) but very basic landing gears/bays, a nose and rear doors not designed to be opened to show off the nice new interior and average fit.

On the other side, you have a new tool kit from Roden, available from Luckymodels at basically $80 shipping included, which seem to be more detailed with more extensive recessed details, nicer landing gears/bays, extended slats and flaps, decent engines (and perhaps more accurate overall) but no interior.

Luckymodels here I come ;-)

Edited by UpperDeck
12 hours ago, Djack said:

I see this kit is available now at Sprue Bros.  A little steep for my wallet. Excited to see how this kit is however.

David

Well, I was going to buy one of these kits but at $131.99 ($165 MSRP), not going to happen.   That's more than the insane prices the Otaki kit was pulling off ebay.

Edited by Drifterdon

looks like Lucky Model is the best price ... after shipping it would be $92 for me. I asked squadron if/when they will get it, they said they don't have it, and its not on order. not quite sure whats going on with them anyway...most items OOS and what is in stock they push sales on a daily basis . I asked them last week (asked the wholesale dept) about them getting restocks in on Trump/HB, and many others, and there doesn't seem to be much going on there.. they wont even carry Hasegawa anymore. ...

ok, now I'm getting sidetracked...

the C5 !  I just don't get how that kit can be as much as many of the 1/32nd super detailed kits are..I mean, sure the C5 in this scale is big..but its not THAT big ,and not really a whole lotta parts to it either. 

We shouldn't assume that kits are priced just above cost. Roden might have priced the C-5 based on perceived demand. Remember, like any business they're seeking to maximize profit. That said, they might have miscalculated demand vis a vis the price.

Tricky stuff.

yup, I think theyre seeing the sticker shock ..sure they priced it for expected demand (popularity)  but I think they'll see that its a bit over priced. I think Lucky Model has it about the right price for what should've been the  retail price. sure you can price it high,but would you rather sell 1000 at $130 or 5000 at $90 ? 

1 hour ago, panzercreations said:

yup, I think theyre seeing the sticker shock ..sure they priced it for expected demand (popularity)  but I think they'll see that its a bit over priced. I think Lucky Model has it about the right price for what should've been the  retail price. sure you can price it high,but would you rather sell 1000 at $130 or 5000 at $90 ? 

I think even $90 is too high for a 1/144 kit.   I know, quit whining about it....

It’s not whining - it’s the response they would have gotten from a lot of modelers if they had asked:

“Please rank the features you would like, in order from most desired to least.”

1. Cargo bay interior with openable nose and tail.

2. In-flight display option.

...other things...

20. Dropped flaps and slats.

I won’t whine about the price, but I certainly won’t buy.

I wonder, too, if they have a follow-on release planned (an A model) that will feature an interior and positionable nose and tail and be priced based on demand for the initial release.

There's soooo much we don't know about how the manufacturers select subjects, choose their features, and price them. I have an article in the works for Scale Model Soup that will begin to address some of my own questions.

6 hours ago, andrew.deboer said:

It’s not whining - it’s the response they would have gotten from a lot of modelers if they had asked:

“Please rank the features you would like, in order from most desired to least.”

1. Cargo bay interior with openable nose and tail.

2. In-flight display option.

...other things...

20. Dropped flaps and slats.

I won’t whine about the price, but I certainly won’t buy.

Now this makes the best sense yet. Business is not rocket science. You give consumers a good product....possibly even more than they ask for....and charge a reasonable price and you sell a million of them....

This is why Revell has been around for so many years and is one of my top 3 favorite manufacturers. They get it. Their A400M was/is an amazing product. For the first time in my life I paid $60.00(+) for a Revell model. GLAD to do so. It will provide hours of joy at a blessed hobby and produce a stunning result that I will be proud to show off to people that come to my house.

I like Rodens C-5. Really. It's a great model. But $50 - $60 is what it's worth. Not $145.00.

5 hours ago, thegoodsgt said:

I wonder, too, if they have a follow-on release planned (an A model) that will feature an interior and positionable nose and tail and be priced based on demand for the initial release.

That would require new molds for the fuselage halves - the largest pieces in the kit. Not a very cost effective way to go about it. If that were the plan they should have started there to maximize ROI. 

Having said that, nothing about this kit seems "cost effective".....,,

Roden priced their 1/72 C-123 kits in the $60 to $70 range. Those kits are more complex and have more parts than the C-5, and they're roughly the same size when built. Roden was smoking crack when they put a $165 retail tag on the C-5. That price isn't due to the tooling cost either, it's because they felt modelers would pay that much. Sorry, but even Lucky Models price is too high for that kit (which isn't LM's fault). Based on other kits in their product line (parts count, size, etc.), it should have been in the $40 to $60 range.

9 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

Roden priced their 1/72 C-123 kits in the $60 to $70 range. Those kits are more complex and have more parts than the C-5, and they're roughly the same size when built. Roden was smoking crack when they put a $165 retail tag on the C-5. That price isn't due to the tooling cost either, it's because they felt modelers would pay that much. Sorry, but even Lucky Models price is too high for that kit (which isn't LM's fault). Based on other kits in their product line (parts count, size, etc.), it should have been in the $40 to $60 range.

Amen!! Thank you. It's dam disappointing....

10 minutes ago, viking73 said:

Ugh.   Now I wonder what Roden will charge for their 1/144 C-133 kit that is supposed to be out later this year 😐

-Derek

If it's anywhere near what they're asking for the C-5, I'll just stick with my Welsh Models vac kit and press on.

On 15/08/2017 at 3:21 AM, pminer said:

Yep....I don't normally like Soviet A/C. But the An-124 is extremely well done by Revell. And...the price? No clue how they do it. But I ain't complainin! Been thinking seriously about picking up a copy at a show. Maybe do a what-if in USAF markings...?? LOL....it's just too military looking to leave in blue & white livery.

And yes...I've heard by more than one reliable source that the original Otaki/Revell molds are kicking around somewhere.....

😁 Your " what if" sounds good! I have an idea for stretched version (using two AN 124 kits) ,the RR Trent engines salvaged from a Revell A380 and either twin tails (like the AN 22) or, a T tail - the Antonov/Airbus A450!😁

4 hours ago, Albeback58 said:

😁 Your " what if" sounds good! I have an idea for stretched version (using two AN 124 kits) ,the RR Trent engines salvaged from a Revell A380 and either twin tails (like the AN 22) or, a T tail - the Antonov/Airbus A450!😁

Haha!!.....awesome! Do it! I fully intend to do a 72nd A400M in Air Mobility Command color & markings. Already have the decals....

8 hours ago, pminer said:

Haha!!.....awesome! Do it! I fully intend to do a 72nd A400M in Air Mobility Command color & markings. Already have the decals....

😁 That would look nice. You might be interested to know that Revell has just reissued the A-400 kit. This time with official markings. I actually don't do boring,dull,overall grey so, if I may suggest an alternative for the future, you might like the Royal Air Force "sand and stone" finish. Dark Earth over Mid Stone with black underside.Scheme was used in the 60s and 70s. Very retro!😁. I have one A-400 which I intend to do in a splinter type camouflage and markings for Independent Scottish Republic (Air Force).OK, we aint yet Independent but,who's worried about mere details!😃