Horizon Models - Juno I 1/72 new kit PLUS

I emailed Horizon to get a extra PE part sheet & I have some news. The next Horizon model to be released this year will be an Juno I (Explorer 1 launch vehicle) you knew this since they had what looked like an antenna in the PE sheet for Explorer 1. Sorry no Gemini Titan yet. Horizon also does different versions in the same kit so the model can also be built as a Restone IRBM also. But wait there is more since they are a Australia based company they will also have the parts for a WRESAT version! To help your space history memory WRESAT was the first & I think only satellite launched from Australia soil. It used a leftover Restone booster from a program called SPARTA where Australia launched several Redstones to test re-entry vehicles. The WRESAT Redstone was the last Redstone ever launched back in 1967. I don't know about you but I want to build all 3 versions. The Redstone has always been a favorite of mine. The 3 different version look  very different from each other.  

Edited by Solo7
remove graphic

I received my Horizon MR kit a couple of days ago.  After comparing it to the Dragon MR kit I already have I decided I would convert the Dragon kit into a Juno-Explorer.  Now I'm back to wondering what to do with the Dragon kit...  :)

Horizon's approach to the Redstone and Atlas kits has me hoping their inevitable Gemini-Titan will include several Titan variants as well.

I do wish they would do an Atlas-Agena version in 72nd.

Well hubu2 you already have the 2 Dragon Mercury capsule parts for adapting the 3D printed Crows Nest Mercury capsule (see my comments in "Horizon Models - Mercury-Redstone 1/72 new kit"). So you can improve on the MR Horizon kit & still have the Redstone parts of the Dragon kit. You could wait for the Horizon Redstone build WRESAT and adapt the leftover Horizon Juno I parts to the Dragon Redstone. The Horizon Redstone will need the tapered  upper section for WRESAT. The Dragon Redstone was to short for the MR (a scale fault on Dragons kit) but it could be a little too long for Juno I, you could shorten the Dragaon for Juno I. Look at the drawings above & you can see the Redstone different lengths for the different versions.

• 2 weeks later...

HI all,

Happy happy happy, joy joy joy.

A gentleman on the SSM boards was kind enough to ask the Horizon Models owner at a show in Australia what's coming, especially Apollo and Gemini. It looks like the Mercury/Atlas/Redstone series is about done with what's been disclosed above. The great news is that they are working on a Gemini-Titan and - drum roll - a Dynasoar-Titan. 

Wow, I sure hope this ambitious series gets produced. I can foresee myself buying 3-4 Gemini-Titans of various marks. I hope we also get an Agena target vehicle to go along with the Gemini. No word on an Atlas-Agena, but it would make sense. Here's hoping.

Anyway, probably the best way to ensure that these goodies get produced is to keep buying Horizon Models kits. They're high quality, accurate and made in a wonderful country. Happy times to be a real space modeler.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/28/2017 at 7:03 PM, habu2 said:

After comparing it to the Dragon MR kit I already have I decided I would convert the Dragon kit into a Juno-Explorer.  Now I'm back to wondering what to do with the Dragon kit...  :)

The Dragon kit has now been earmarked for conversion to a Little Joe booster, teamed with the Mercury boilerplate parts from the Horizon kit :)

BI211512.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 years later...