Bobo1953

de-yellowing product for old decals?

3 posts in this topic

hi.

i have recently dusted off some of my late twenties' builds. they're not bad, i guess, but as by then i didn't use -nor i believe there were such products in my country (italy)- clear finishes, the decals, big and small, have become heavly yellowish, and the film supposed to  be transparent, is a yellow-brownish plate around stencils etc.

with the industry always in search of new products for modelers, i wonder if someone could come out with something more realistic than the airy-fairy story of sun exposition :evil-laughter::thatfunny: for decal sheets and /or some specific product for in-place decals in general...

thanks for reading and, in case, giving an answer.

best greetings, bobo.

The "sun exposition" actually works fine, provided that you leave decals under hot sun light for at least a week...

I did it a couple of times successfully.

Ciao!

hi phantom riveter.

here on the lago maggiore, italy, we have seldom a whole week of "hot sun light" -they call it sunny italy...

secondly, do you have one pane or two vacuum panes windows? because i have the second type, and this might be one of the reasons why it doesn't work.

finally, i was speaking of old "applied", on model decals that have become yellow 'cause i, at the time, did not use coat finishing. one pays for his sins...

you understand that even having the right sun and the right panes, one cannot sort of "roast" the models so that sunlight can reach every part.

this is why i was wondering of a remedy for decals that yellowed on the model.

thank you for your contribution.

ciao, and happy modeling! bobo.