Canopy mask question

How do you fellows do to get a fine demarcation line when painting outside canopy.  I seem to always get a bit of paint creeping inside the masked edge.  I trie different way but still have problems.  Thank you for your help

Hello Timmins,

The easiest way to do the canopy mask is the way Bob Beary said.

(Mask it, burnish the tape down and mist on light coats, especially the first coat.)

Works for me!

Andrew

Here's what I do. First, polish the canopy with automotive polish. Buff with a soft cloth. Mask and paint as others describe. When it's well dried, remove the masking. Now, if the paint has crossed past the mask, use a toothpick to chisel away the excess. The car polish will compromise the paint's ability to stick to the canopy and the paint will come off easily.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For all my canopy masking I use Parafilm M. I like it because you can see thru it so you know where you need to cut and you can leave it on for quite a while and have no issue with removing it. Plus, it doesn't leave any residue behind and no paint creep when properly applied.

Steve

On 5/1/2017 at 4:54 PM, Bob Beary said:

Mask it, burnish the tape down and mist on light coats, especially the first coat.

Burnishing is always recommended with tape. Art stores and craft stores have burnishing tools, which are really helpful.

On 5/14/2017 at 10:13 AM, capt-dz said:

You might also spray a clear coat of PFM after applying your mask.

This is also a good general approach when burnishing is insufficient. Spray the current base color to seal the edges.

41 minutes ago, A-10 LOADER said:

For all my canopy masking I use Parafilm M.

This is what I use whenever I have to cut canopy masks. There's a little technique involved, but it's really good stuff...

Edited by dnl42