F/A-18 color question

5.JPG

Are some F/A-18s painted in just a single color overall?  My eye only sees one shade of gray on this VFA-137 plane.  It looks like the entire air frame is FS36375. Is that specific to the CAG scheme maybe? 

On 5/3/2017 at 0:31 AM, Vaildog said:

5.JPG

Are some F/A-18s painted in just a single color overall?  My eye only sees one shade of gray on this VFA-137 plane.  It looks like the entire air frame is FS36375. Is that specific to the CAG scheme maybe? 

The picture you've chosen isn't the best picture to illustrate the differences in colour due to the blue skunk stripe on top of the fuselage and and the angle of the light.  All Super Hornets are painted FS36375 on the underside and tail fins then FS36320 on the upper surfaces.  In most cases the trialing edges of the rudders are painted in the darker of the two colours and vice versa on the flaps and ailerons.  This web page is a good guide of the colours:

https://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/fa-18/fa-18f_profile01.shtml

Edited by Andrew Maverick Taylor
4 hours ago, Andrew Maverick Taylor said:

The picture you've chosen isn't the best picture to illustrate the differences in colour due to the blue skunk stripe on top of the fuselage and and the angle of the light.  All Super Hornets are painted FS36375 on the underside and tail fins then FS36320 on the upper surfaces.  In most cases the trialing edges of the rudders are painted in the darker of the two colours and vice versa on the flaps and ailerons.  This web page is a good guide of the colours:

https://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/fa-18/fa-18f_profile01.shtml

Yes, but normally there is an area where the darker gray is visible between the wing and tail surface where the serial number and NAVY text is.  also the upper surface of the wings look to be an identical shade to the area below the cockpit. I think its a CAG bird thing.

Check out VFA-137's facebook page https://www.facebook.com/vfa137/  you will see lots of photos. My thought  is the entire plane is 36320 but faded.

I totally agree There is no discernible "line" between the Light Ghost and Dark ghost gray. I concluded this one is a single color after looking at several photos . I am doing the Kestrel's  plane from the Furball sheet as an upcoming build. I am going with 36320 for mine.  After which I will semi gloss overcoat it to give it a bit of shine.

HTH but in the end it's your model so do what YOU think is best. Cheers

6 hours ago, Vaildog said:

Yes, but normally there is an area where the darker gray is visible between the wing and tail surface where the serial number and NAVY text is.  also the upper surface of the wings look to be an identical shade to the area below the cockpit. I think its a CAG bird thing.

Just answered your own question!!

Something that needs to be remembered, is this is at least in part, the CONA paint scheme. It may very well have had touch ups of one color or another. Also, this is one of their original Lot 25s that they have had since 2003. I don't think it has ever had a complete repaint. In the 11 years I have been at Lemoore, this jet is on its 5th color scheme. I think all they ever do is a sand, dust and touch up. In order for it to get a complete respray, I believe FRC would have to do it. YMMV.