wheel wells color on f-101

hi everybody guys and gals.

i needd to know exactely what color am i to paint the interior of gear wells, including airbrakes, in an f-101b voodoo.

i googled a lot but got no pics of real '101b.

red insides for the doors and airbrakes given for granted, i've seen red as well as interior green insides of the wells in the models.

seems that lou drendel gives white as the right color.

so what am i to do with a 60th f.i.s. f-101b in 1965?

thank you in advance.

cheers and happy modeling. bobo.

Just to add to what Rick said. The inside of the MLG leg doors is red as well and the landing gear itself is painted silver.

Cheers,

John

hi rick and john.

i can't but thank you for your definitive and exhaustive answer.

now i understand why most of the models i've seen online had interior green wells, but you know, when drendel is quoted it's better to be careful...:rolleyes:

it is also of great help the indication for  the airbrake bays where i really hadn't a cue.

again, many thanks...and happy modeling! :cheers:

best cheers, bobo.

thank you very much chris.

i believe that provided that there were no differences between cf-101 and f-101, this is an absolute evidence, and is in line with the other conributions.

best greetings, and ...happy modeling!

bobo.

Hi Bobo, some other details for you, the interior of the armament bay was semi-gloss white and the CF/F-101B carried the AIM-4D missiles not the AIM-4G as in the Revel kits.

Jari

9 hours ago, Bobo1953 said:

thank you very much chris.

i believe that provided that there were no differences between cf-101 and f-101, this is an absolute evidence, and is in line with the other conributions.

best greetings, and ...happy modeling!

bobo.

No difference as the RCAF recieved 66 stored F-101 from US stocks. Then the CAF traded back some 50 clapped out remaining Voodoos for some up graded but older Voodoos in the early 70s.

hi jim.

i'm building the one-oh-wonder of revell, so i'm deep into research too.

i'd rather say that the wells and doors inner face are just the same, zinc chromate (interior green f.s. 34151) and red f.s. 31302 (the best match to me is humbrol acryilic #60 fire red), respectively.

i deem that the legs are white, as it looks very likely in this pic:

57-301.jpg

and also, as i have seen in an interesting series of pictures you can find here: http://media.photobucket.com/user/David_Waples/media/F101B/IMG_1991.jpg.html?filters[term]=f-101b&filters[primary]=images&filters[secondary]=videos&sort=1&o=2

in the latter the legs aren't the right color, but have been painted white later when the bird was restored just because white had become standard.

sometimes the restorers do a hell of a job and eventually fall on trivial accidents...:angry:

...or else they're right for a very late f-101, this i don't know for sure.

hope this helps.

have a great week-end (on my side of the pond half of it is already gone...).

cheers, and...happy modeling! bobo.:cheers:

Hi Bobo!

Thanks for the quick reply! I think you've got the colors nailed. If you look at the walk around of the RF-101at the Pima museum (Cybermodeler) it looks like the wheel wells might be 36322 grey or an off white. Otherwise, the doors are red on the insides!

Take care, buddy!

Jim

Edited by jimm33
Misspelled

you're welcome jim!

the legs, in these pics, actually look lile a light gray/dirty white, but the wells are definitely white.

which makes me think that the legs too were originally white. right?

best cheers, and ciao! bobo.

The Voodoo gear legs were a flat silver colour, i worked on the CF-101 and all the ones i saw were silver with green wells and red doors. You can zoom in on the pic here of a US ANG F-101B:

https://catalog.archives.gov/id/6686208

here is a RF-101 fresh out of the factory, too bad it is in b&w:

http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/5a89cbe0860b3791_large

Jari

@Jim:hope that they will issue it soon! enjoy!

@jari: thank you jari. i do perfectly agree.  but what jim was looking for was an rf-101 vietnam era, which resulted to be a little different, i.e. white bays and legs.

friendly cheers to both. bobo.

If I follow what I did with my F-105D, I'll paint the gear legs dull silver as Finn suggests plus use the Interior Green for the wheel wells with flat red on the interior gear doors. Now all we need is to have Kitty Hawk release the 101B and RF-101C and we'll be in great shape!

Have a good week all!

Jim